• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating My Way Through the Alphabet

Laura B

For the letter A, you may want to try a quirky little homey French-Caribbean place on Columbus Avenue betw. 106/107th Street simply named "A". Here's the menupages linky.

And a half year from now, when you've slogged your way through to letter Q, you may want to break the mold of geography and jump the subway/LIRR to Forest Hills to hit the thai bistro on Ascan Avenue simply named "Q". It's a nice little place with the added bonus of having on the wall a framed picture of its namesake James Bond gadgetmaster :cool:

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." -- Mark Twain

Laura, since you mentioned low-end places, there's Ariana Afghan Kebab House -- for when you turn over the alphabet again.

Another low-end place for "C" is Chickpea, for future reference. Congee Village is my favorite Cantonese restaurant in Manhattan, and Congee is also worth visiting. Cho Dang Gol is a very worthwhile Korean restaurant on 35 St., specializing in artisanal tofu. And would you put I Coppi under "C" or "I"? I'll try to think of some "D" and "E" restaurants I can recommend. Do you put El Malecon under "E" or "M"? It's a really inexpensive, informal restaurant with excellent pollo a la brasa and daily specials that are worth considering.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 2 weeks later...

Ed, Did you post a detailed review of Bouchon anywhere? I'd love to hear how that was.

Where are you going for C?

We start our alphabet dining tour next Saturday with Amuse.

Oh, this thread just made me realize the alliteration of my dining weekend:

Balthazar: Great Kumamotos, Best Steak Tartare, and dense little blackberry cake with remarkable coulis.

Blue Water Grill: I've always loathed this place, still do. The interior makes my skin crawl. I ended up there by accident sort of.

BLT Fish: Fabulous Hamachi and Octopus (never had octopus so tender) apps. Nice melon/fromage blanc sorbet dessert. The ceiling was open, which was quite nice.

Edited by raxelita (log)

Drink maker, heart taker!

Any input on Druids or Dish? Zagat says Dish is the "poor man's Craft." They are both moderately priced options for D.

I am considering English is Italian for E, but I can't make up my mind. It would only be two of us, so I think it may be too much food??

I don't recommend Dish. Don't know Druids. How about Diner in Williamsburg? Food's affordable, interesting, and generally quite good. Their fish and cheese specials are always very nice, and they make an insanely good organic cheeseburger. Wine list is spare and uninteresting, but fairly priced.

Drink maker, heart taker!

Bah! DH and I have decided for various reasons that we are going to postpone our little alphabet tour for a month or two. Redwinegulper and anyone else, carry on without me! I will post about it once we actually do it.

Thanks for the restaurant input. It will be put to good use eventually!!