• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating My Way Through the Alphabet

Laura B

I am going to embark on a dining adventure by eating each Saturday (more or less) at a restaurant with a name beginning with the letter of the week. So, up first is A! I will probably venture over to Brooklyn when I get to P :biggrin: , but other than that I would like to keep this in Manhattan.

Any suggestions for the letter A? Anyone want to play along?

I cannot start until mid-June as I already have reservations for the next five Saturdays. But I am ready to start planning!

Thanks for the ideas!

I should probably have noted that, as a general rule that will certainly be broken on occasion, we don't really want to go over $200 (inc. tip) if we're going to be trying to do this every weekend (prob should aim for no more that $150 mostly). We don't usually drink wine, maybe one glass for me, so that helps keep the tab down. We also don't feel compelled to spend a lot just for the sake of it - so don't leave out the cheaper places in your recs.

I'm sure by the time you get to "P" you will find much more appealing places and won't need to go to Brooklyn. In fact the best "P" is not in Brooklyn, but in Queens.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

OK, so I took a look at our upcoming reservations, and it turns out that the first two Saturdays in June are Babbo and then Chanterelle. See a pattern? So, I cancelled my reservation at Union Square Cafe for Saturday May 28th and instead booked Amuse so that we can get started earlier. I can see that it is going to be very difficult to decide on a restaurant each week!

I really want some people to play along! Start anytime you want - no need for us to be on the same letter. Also no need to eat out every week. Make up your own rules within the larger framework of going from A to Z. And post your reviews here!

Edited by Laura B (log)

Thats so funny you are doing this.. My girl friend and I were going to do this exact thing for Egullet.. I am curious to watch this post.. We were stalled at X on the night we thinking about it and decided on Xunta.. Good luck!

Edited by Daniel (log)

Thats so funny you are doing this.. My girl friend and I were going to do this exact thing for Egullet.. I am curious to watch this post.. We were stalled at X on the night we thinking about it and decided on Xunta.. Good luck!

I love Xunta! I think that will probably be the place we use for X, too.

Don't forget to consider Xing.

I'd recommend Danube or Davidburke and Donatella (which will get you extra points...oh wait this isn't scattergories..) since it sounds like D is the next available letter.

Ps - Hey Red Wine, I'd love to hear your reports on Alto. I have high hopes for them.

Drink maker, heart taker!

since it sounds like D is the next available letter.

Yes, D will be the next letter to work on.

We're eating at Veritas the weekend before Amuse, and that usually runs us about $225 after tip. Amuse shouldn't be too much $$, but then Babbo and Chanterelle are both on the high end of our range (and Chanterelle is going to go well over). So, I will need to find something for D and E that gives the checkbook a little break. :unsure:

What kind of food is Xing?

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but what exactly is the point of this exercise?

Whatever the point may be, I approve.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Xing? Sorta fancied-up Chinese (chef from 66 consulted on the menu) in Hell's Kitchen. I'm a sucker for any kind of General Tso's and their Singapore Noodles aren't bad. However, if you aren't a cocktail drinker, much of the fun is lost. The prices are pretty low.

http://www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails...staurantid=5939

The point, for me, is to try new restaurants. Giving ourselves a "challenge" like this will help my husband and I break out of our rut of the same handful of places over and over. We just moved to NYC about 9 months ago and we want to discover some new places to add to our list of favorites! Faced with a decision on where to eat among the thousands of restaurants in the city, we frequently retreat to a place we know is a sure thing.

Xing? Sorta fancied-up Chinese (chef from 66 consulted on the menu) in Hell's Kitchen.  I'm a sucker for any kind of General Tso's and their Singapore Noodles aren't bad. However, if you aren't a cocktail drinker, much of the fun is lost.  The prices are pretty low.

http://www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails...staurantid=5939

Thanks for the info.

...In fact the best "P" is not in Brooklyn, but in Queens.

Rich, what is it?

Well, I'm going to assume (dangerous notion) that Laura was referring to Peter Luger in Brooklyn for her "P." My "P" is Park Side in Corona, Queens.

"D"omenick's in the Bronx would be a good choice, especially if we're looking at less expensive and for an "E," I would choose "E"ight Mile Creek on Mulberry Street.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

The point, for me, is to try new restaurants. Giving ourselves a "challenge" like this will help my husband and I break out of our rut of the same handful of places over and over. We just moved to NYC about 9 months ago and we want to discover some new places to add to our list of favorites! Faced with a decision on where to eat among the thousands of restaurants in the city, we frequently retreat to a place we know is a sure thing.

Fair enough, although you do end up limiting yourself to new restaurants that begin with particular letters.

Hey, I just thought of another one: this is a fun (although expensive) way to go about learning the alphabet.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Fair enough, although you do end up limiting yourself to new restaurants that begin with particular letters.

True enough, but one must start somewhere. :raz: We'll cover 26 new restaurants by the end of the year. Not too shabby!

So, I will need to find something for D and E that gives the checkbook a little break. 

There's always Dumpling House on Eldridge, and Dumpling Man on St. Marks. You'd be saving for a really huge late-alphabet splurge.

Of course, there is that "P" in Time-Warner... although I suppose it should technically be "p".

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!