• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farmer's Markets - Heartland venues

After battening down the hatches (up to 3" of snow forecast by NOAA! Yikes!) and dragging all my potted plants back into the garage, I was a bit nervous about what would greet me at the Brookside market. I think there were a total of six vendors, and only one had produce.

We took home some lovely spring greens (complete with nasturtiums) and olive-cheese bread to go with my vegan cassoulet that night.

One car in the parking lot did indeed have quite a bit of snow on it, but the rest of the day was really nice. All the potted plants are back outside, and with the exception of a touch-and-go lavendar, we all seem to have made it in one piece. I don't think my ficus tree is speaking to me yet, though.

I am wondering, though, what this frost has done to my CSA farmers (The Organic Way). This has got to have slammed 'em good... the produce vendor said all the plants they'd set in the ground the week before were dead, but that it could have been much worse.

Hoping for some plant starts this weekend!

Edited by mamagotcha (log)

Come visit my virtual kitchen.

I am going to have a chance to check out the Farmers Market in Fayetteville, Arkansas this weekend. I have always heard good things about that market that happens in the middle of town around the town square. THe bonus is to be able to spend time in Dickson Street Books.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

If I were in Chicago for only one weekend, which farmer's market would be the best to visit? We'll mostly be looking, not buying (since we'll have a flight and a few days in Minneapolis before returning home), but we enjoy just looking. We'll probably be staying around South Aberdeen and 31st (the Benedictine Monks' B&B), but are willing to travel anywhere accessible by public transportation.

Also, for the Green City Market--are both the Wednesday and the Saturday equally interesting? LindsayAnn wrote different vendors sometimes come on different days, but if we end up in Chicago during the week, will the Wednesday Green City Market still be an interesting visit?

They are both pretty good...the vendors vary a bit, Wednesday is a bit more "chefy"; Saturday is a bit more "consumery". but both have vendors, food booths, music, chef demos in the morning, seating and such. There is validated parking next door. If you make it, look for the Seedling Booth and come say hi to a fellow e-gulleter Peter (me!)...have a good trip.

They are both pretty good...the vendors vary a bit, Wednesday is a bit more "chefy"; Saturday is a bit more "consumery".  but both have vendors, food booths, music, chef demos in the morning, seating and such.  There is validated parking next door.  If you make it, look for the Seedling Booth and come say hi to a fellow e-gulleter Peter (me!)...have a good trip.

Great! We really wanted to go to a Farmer's Market, but going during the week was more convenient. Now we can meet both our needs/wants! And I'll look for your booth, too!

The Parkville Farmer's Market opened this morning! There were probably only about a dozen vendor's with very limited goods...some tomato plants, herbs, spring onions, a few strawberries, and some gorgeous morels. I know it will pick up soon, but this morning the crowds were such that when I arrived after 8am there were actually still plenty of Campo Lindo Farm eggs left to purchase. I think the truck usually shows up around 7:15am and can sell out as soon as 7:30. I spoke to the Crums for a few minutes, this last hard freeze really hurt a lot of farmers in the area. The weather today has my hopes up that things are going to turn around for the folks in this area so that the season can be in full swing pronto.

Just sliced these morels in half and have them soaking......

(I don't like spending so much money on a few mushrooms, but I told myself I still only spent as much as I normally would on a Saturday morning at the market)

gallery_23738_4581_46896.jpg

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Nice shot, Zeeman! I saw them lovelies at the Parkville market this morning as well.

Glad to see all my "old friends" back in business for another good year. I am hopeful that this will be a more promising tomato season than last. As well, I look forward to getting some of the chickens and chicken livers from the good folks at Campo Lindo.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

They are both pretty good...the vendors vary a bit, Wednesday is a bit more "chefy"; Saturday is a bit more "consumery".  but both have vendors, food booths, music, chef demos in the morning, seating and such.  There is validated parking next door.  If you make it, look for the Seedling Booth and come say hi to a fellow e-gulleter Peter (me!)...have a good trip.

Heck you work there? I didnt know that! I am there EVERY wednesday, and many saturdays! IS your booth there on Wednesdays? If so i will introduce myself on week # 1...and you will likely see me every week thereafter! What produce/products do you sell?

Are you then farmiliar with Capriola Farms Goat cheeses, and Judy? I LOVE their cheeses!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you who live out in the chicago suburbs who have a difficult time getting down into the city farmers markets, there is another option. A place called natural direct provides a weekly selection by email which you can pick items from and they deliver that week.

http://www.naturaldirect.com/

I am in no way affiliated with them, I have been a customer of their service for a number of years. The delivery area used to be very limited, but this season they have dramatically expanded. Opening this option to many new people.

Last week, the Chicago Tribune had a reasonably complete list of farmers markets in the Chicago area. (They said it was "partial", but that sounds like a disclaimer; it sure looks comprehensive to me.) The ones within the city limits are listed by day of the week. The ones in the suburbs (over a hundred of them, I would guess) are listed alphabetically by municipality. Click here for the article.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

What have any of you KC folks been seeing at the markets so far? I try my best to stay true to my 'hood, but between the late freeze and the flooding (Parkville market vendors had to move up to the Graden Elementary School parking lot last weekend), I'm mainly seeing a lot of spring onions and asparagus (with a few assorted goodies...oyster mushrooms and morels).

Am I just too impatient, or should I add some other markets into my rotation for the timebeing?

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

What have any of you KC folks been seeing at the markets so far?  I try my best to stay true to my 'hood, but between the late freeze and the flooding (Parkville market vendors had to move up to the Graden Elementary School parking lot last weekend), I'm mainly seeing a lot of spring onions and asparagus (with a few assorted goodies...oyster mushrooms and morels). 

Am I just too impatient, or should I add some other markets into my rotation for the timebeing?

I've been to only two markets this season:

Brookside on the day it opened: some eggs from Jim Wood; turnips, kohlrabi, greens, herbs and radishes from KCCUA (Dermitzl, Kelly - hoop house-grown).

The new T-Bones Market (at the Legends): mostly flowers, honey, crafts and the like but one really good organic farmer who had a good spread of spring stuff (spinach, arugula, radish, turnip, mesclun-y mix, romaine). I introduced myself to him and discovered his farm is around 47th & Parallel (IIRC). He thanked me for my purchase but specifically warned me that he would have little over the next few weeks owing to the Easter weekend freeze and ensuing conditions.

Here at our own little 'hell's half-acre' things are going similarly slowly. I couldn't get the transplants from the Farm Expo (in March) into the ground because of schedule and climate conflicts. We had some good over-wintered spinach, garlic, onions, etc. and the perennial herbs are full on but it's otherwise pretty dismal. Some of the neighbors who have 20'X40' plots down the road had gotten thing in earlier and they're looking good but little harvestable at this point.

Patience, grasshopper (I never really watched that so I may be misusing the pop culture reference but it was a tempting pun on pests). :wink:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I've been to Overland Park three times and Brookside once or twice.

Brookside just seems to me a much, much better market, though quite expensive.

Overland Park just leaves me depressed. Lots of asparagus on Saturday, Texas onions, Nebraska tomatoes, potatoes from who knows where, Dricscoll's strawberries, etc.

I feel like I'm at Marshall's, picking through a bunch of crap to find something worthwhile.

I got a pretty good bunch of arugula and a bit of mint.

I got some great spring greens at Brookside on opening weekend (when no one showed up for OP's opener.

I hope it's the frost that's kept the markets down, and not just business as usual, since this is my first spring market season here.

I've been to Overland Park three times and Brookside once or twice.

Brookside just seems to me a much, much better market, though quite expensive.

Overland Park just leaves me depressed.  Lots of asparagus on Saturday, Texas onions, Nebraska tomatoes, potatoes from who knows where, Dricscoll's strawberries, etc.

I feel like I'm at Marshall's, picking through a bunch of crap to find something worthwhile.

I got a pretty good bunch of arugula and a bit of mint.

I got some great spring greens at Brookside on opening weekend (when no one showed up for OP's opener.

I hope it's the frost that's kept the markets down, and not just business as usual, since this is my first spring market season here.

Brookside is the best in terms of being all certified organic and offering interesting varities. OP is generally a very good market when the season gets going - there will always be some non-local stuff sold there but local far outweighs it in high season. Parkville is a cute little market (Dave Crum's parents sell there). Nearer you, check out the one in Merriam (just off I-35 and Johnson Drive) and the one in Shawnee (a little farther west on Johnson Drive, near the historic area). But, again, wait a bit because they don't really get good until June-ish. Oh, and I love the Lawrence market, too, if you feel like taking a drive some Saturday.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Thanks. I haven't been to the one in Merriam yet this year, though it is quite charming. They don't seem to be any worse than the OP market, which means, yes, they certainly have some pretty good produce getting further into the summer. That was my standby last fall after arriving.

OP just gets too crowded to be enjoyable for me anyway. Plus the kids like playing around Turkey Creek.

The all-organic of Brookside is moderately appealing to me, but much more so is that they just have a much better selection, even though the number of vendors is relatively few, both in terms of say, varieties of pear or tomato, or even whole categories not represented elsewhere. Picked up some pea shoots one weekend, for example.

Has anyone ordered meat from the Amish folks at Brookside?

I do need to get out to the Lawrence market sometime, too.

We went to the City Market this morning. It is, of course, the mother of all markets in the metro but much of the volume can be attributed to the year-round produce businesses. Still, there were a lot of local farmers there: Nature's Choice (Helen & Fred Messner), a woman whose name I can't think of but she has a CSA and previously went to the 39th St Mkt; Thane from near DeSoto (again, what's with my memory for names, already), the Pisciotta Farms folks (not to be confused with Pisciotta's, the wholesaler) and many other family farms, mostly Amish.

We got some good stuff and some great plants and flowers that should serve to bring a record-late frost upon us. :shock:

M.F.K. Fisher

My 3-year old and I made our first trip to the Ann Arbor farmer's market today. In the height of the season last year we were visiting 2-3 markets a week, so it's nice to have it back in our routine. This early in the season, in Michigan, the market is still mostly flowers and herbs and things like that, rather than stuff to eat. But I was lucky enough to get two of the last few boxes of asparagus at the market. Plus some potatoes. Things I saw but didn't get included lots of eggs and lettuce. And some really giant jugs of maple syrup.

Then I went inside the adjoining Kerrytown shops to the butcher for a nice local grass fed ribeye steak, and the fishmonger for some shrimp. We had a lovely dinner of grilled asparagus, steak and shrimp with oven fries. And a bottle of Carmeniere.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

On a tangent, I've had tremendous success with the mesclun greens I've planted this year. Alas, my one packet only went so far. Does anyone know where I can buy mesclun greens seeds in bulk in the KC area? I'm looking for more than a packet but less than 5 lbs - preferrably in 1 lb. denominations.

Planter's said no. They recommended Antone's (?) out in Independence? Never heard of it. I suppose I'll have to go to the internet.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

On a tangent, I've had tremendous success with the mesclun greens I've planted this year.  Alas, my one packet only went so far.  Does anyone know where I can buy mesclun greens seeds in bulk  in the KC area? I'm looking for more than a packet but less than 5 lbs - preferrably in 1 lb. denominations.

Planter's said no.  They recommended Antone's (?) out in Independence? Never heard of it.  I suppose I'll have to go to the internet.

UE, UE, quite contrary, how does your garden grow? :raz:

You're in that awkward stage between home/hobbyist and market gardener. You might check with Dan & Katherine at KC Center for Urban Agriculture or the Kansas City Food Circle. Moving farther afield ( :rolleyes:) Seed Savers (although I don't know if they have a semi-bulk program).

It's too late for spring but if you talk to some farmers you might be able to buy-in on their bulk buy for fall planting. Most of them buy by the pound, I would guess, so if you paid up-front I can't think they would mind (other than that you clearly would not be buying mesclun from them, but they're not really competitive types for the most part anyway). If you want specifics PM me.

M.F.K. Fisher

On a tangent, I've had tremendous success with the mesclun greens I've planted this year.  Alas, my one packet only went so far.  Does anyone know where I can buy mesclun greens seeds in bulk  in the KC area? I'm looking for more than a packet but less than 5 lbs - preferrably in 1 lb. denominations.

Planter's said no.  They recommended Antone's (?) out in Independence? Never heard of it.  I suppose I'll have to go to the internet.

You're in that awkward stage between home/hobbyist and market gardener. You might check with Dan & Katherine at KC Center for Urban Agriculture or the Kansas City Food Circle. Moving farther afield ( :rolleyes:) Seed Savers (although I don't know if they have a semi-bulk program).

It's too late for spring but if you talk to some farmers you might be able to buy-in on their bulk buy for fall planting. Most of them buy by the pound, I would guess, so if you paid up-front I can't think they would mind (other than that you clearly would not be buying mesclun from them, but they're not really competitive types for the most part anyway). If you want specifics PM me.

How did I know you'd be first to "bite back?" :raz: Thanks for the links.

One correction, I'm definitely not anywhere near market gardener. I'm still very much a (farmer's) market consumer. I am a home hobbyist through-and-through.

BTW, I've got about 25 tomato plants in the ground - all of them Crum's heirlooms. I put in San Marzano, Kellogg's Breakfast, C. Fiorentino, Paul Robeson, German Johnson, Missouri Love Apple, Chocolate Cherokee, and one Delicious (which is a hybrid) - which the Crums say have been known to yield 3 lb. tomatoes :blink:. Ambitious-sounding? Perhaps. But you haven't seen the way the deer eat around here. I'll be lucky to have on left standing by the time the tomatoes bear fruit. *sigh*

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

One correction, I'm definitely not anywhere near market gardener. I'm still very much a (farmer's) market consumer. I am a home hobbyist through-and-through.

BTW, I've got about 25 tomato plants in the ground - all of them Crum's heirlooms. I put in San Marzano, Kellogg's Breakfast, C. Fiorentino, Paul Robeson, German Johnson, Missouri Love Apple, Chocolate Cherokee, and one Delicious (which is a hybrid) - which the Crums say have been known to yield 3 lb. tomatoes :blink:. Ambitious-sounding? Perhaps. But you haven't seen the way the deer eat around here. I'll be lucky to have on left standing by the time the tomatoes bear fruit. *sigh*

Hey Rosencrantz & Guildenstern, when you have a moment if you could PM me any tried and true tomato soup recipes (hot or cold) I'd appreciate it. This is my first year growing tomatoes, I'm doing them in pots since I didn't take the time to prepare any ground. All cherry/grape varieties due to the pots/space......twelve plants total- black cherry, yellow pear, coyote, roma, black plum, and a few good old fashioned ultra-sweet hybrids. We'll see how it goes...I'm not above discharging a firearm within the city limits if I see any critters getting too close......

Thanks!

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Hey Rosencrantz & Guildenstern, when you have a moment if you could PM me any tried and true tomato soup recipes (hot or cold) I'd appreciate it. This is my first year growing tomatoes, I'm doing them in pots since I didn't take the time to prepare any ground. All cherry/grape varieties due to the pots/space......twelve plants total- black cherry, yellow pear, coyote, roma, black plum, and a few good old fashioned ultra-sweet hybrids. We'll see how it goes...I'm not above discharging a firearm within the city limits if I see any critters getting too close......

Thanks!

I have a pasta recipe that is EASY and so delicious if using fresh tomatos. Are you interested?

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

may 26 was the first saturday for the harborside farmer's market on lake michigan in kenosha, wi. the other four kenosha markets open the first week of june. i'm aching for those... better prices and more vendors/produce. harborside f/m is a bit chi-chi with herbal lotions and whatever, but still some good produce and even a few delicious treats can be found there. ready mades such as italian beef and sausages, weekend treat pastries, artisan breads and wonderful coffee from my fav coffee house downtown. also farm eggs, free range chickens, locally produced cheese and fresh pasta. ok, a little bit of chi-chi can be a good thing sometimes. :laugh:

it is early even for southeast wisconsin, so produce was limited. but i had to go and evidently lots of people shared my desire for fresh, local produce no matter how limited the early selection.

while there i picked up some lovely asparagus, early spinach [the real thing], cilantro with roots :wub: and local wildflower honey. more :wub: in the treat department i couldn't resist the armenian vendor who had grapeleaves stuffed w/rice/dill/lemon for 50 cents each.

it is spring and the markets are here once again. along the lake and in our parks vendors are setting their tables and opening their tailgates. as my garden space is very limited here on lake michigan compared to the big plot i had in central tx i will be depending on our good local farmers more than ever to bring to me the headiness of fresh produce with the warm aroma of local earth.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite