• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farmer's Markets - Heartland venues

So far, we've been really pleased with the goods we bought at the Dane County Market. The bi-color sweet corn was really amazing; sweet and tender. It was comparable to the the great, late-August corn we usually get from Indiana. The shallots, scallions, and garlic (I bought about 5 different varieties) have been outstanding too. Last night I quickly sauteed the oyster mushrooms with some of the scallions and garlic. They were delicious, tender and aromatic.

We also had the chard, wilted in some rendered Hungarian-style bacon fat and duck stock -- amazing stuff. Additionally, I made a gratin of kohlrabi and cauliflower that was as good as any I've ever turned out.

We don't have much of our stash left. Tonight I intend to make the squash blossoms (stuffed, battered and lightly fried) and the fingerling potatoes and that should pretty much clean us out. After that, it'll be back to my local farmers market where the goods are decent but where only about half of the vendors sell goods which people can actually eat :sad:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 7 months later...

It's just about that time again!

Starting next Saturday, April 22, the Dane County Farmers Market in Madison, WI will move from its indoor, winter venue back to its outdoor home at the square around the Capitol.

The Evanston Farmers Market picks up again on May 20, 2006.

From what I can tell, the Oak Park Farmers Market starts up again Saturday, June 3.

Chicago's Green City Market will again be operating 2 days per week this season -- Wednesdays and Saturdays -- beginning on Wednesday May 17.

Who's ready?! :smile:

=R=

Well, we are too! If you happen by the Green City Market, look for the Seedling guys...a fellow e-gulleter (me! :)...who quit his job and bought an orchard about 2 years back...shameless plug...sorry.

But I got so excited about the season, I figured I should just grow the stuff!

Well, we are too! If you happen by the Green City Market, look for the Seedling guys...a fellow e-gulleter (me! :)...who quit his job and bought an orchard about 2 years back...shameless plug...sorry.

But I got so excited about the season, I figured I should just grow the stuff!

Very cool, Peter! Congrats on the new venture (way of life) and good luck!

=R=

Here's a link to my previous post about the Mill City Market, a new all organic and local farmer's market opening June 10th and running every saturday through October. It will probably seem small but I'm looking forward to both supporting local farmers and the street food they intend to have.

I love the big Minneapolis Farmer's Market but hate getting to it and finding parking. This one will be close enough to the open house I do almost every weekend that I can park there. Plus there are two parking ramps and a LOT of street parking nearby.

"Vegetables aren't food. Vegetables are what food eats."

--

food.craft.life.

The Lunch Crunch - Our daily struggle to avoid boring lunches

• 2 weeks later...

The Chicago Tribune has published their annual list of local markets in today's edition:

2006 farmers markets, list compiled by Elizabeth Owens-Schiele.

=R=

• 2 months later...

I was at the Farmers Market a little while ago and Three Springs Farm farmed by Mike and Emily had fresh Oklahoma grown artichokes. Needless to say, I bought some to try. They are smaller and the heads are more globe shaped. This couple is very dedicated to the locally grown and supplied produce. They had the best looking Cherokee Purples and they also had miniture Cherokee Purples. Now my jonagolds have competition, those little tomatoes are like crack for me.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 7 months later...

From todays Tulsa World is a story about the reopening of the Cherry Street Farmers Market on April 14th. The Saturday market is beginning its 10th year. The Wednesday market has made some changes, the location has changed to the parking lot of Westlake hardware at Peoria and 41st street and the time has changed from the afternoon to a morning market. The summer heat in the afternoons was too much.

According to Ryan Bauman, one of the vendors,

This year is really a changing year for us. It was more of a hobby and now it's becoming more of a career,"

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like we are going to have more farmers markets this coming year. A new market in the Pearl District in Centennial Park at Peoria and 5th started up this week on thursday afternoons. And another one is being talked about somewhere downtown on Tuesdays, as soon as I find out more, I will update. The only place I can think of is maybe on the Williams Green next to the Performing Arts Center.

With the CHerry Street market on Saturdays and the Garden Fresh markets now on Wednesday mornings, maybe, just maybe Tulsa is on the brink of a fledgling food culture, something beyond CFS and biscuits and gravey. Hurrah.

Here's this season's schedule for the Chicago area's big 3 markets:

Chicago's Green City Market opens its season at 7 am on Wednesday May 16, with a demo by chefs Sarah Stegner and George Bumbaris from Prairie Grass Cafe in Northbrook. The GCM is located at the South end of Lincoln Park between 1750 N. Clark and Stockton Drive and is open on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

The Evanston Farmers Market opens at 7:30 on Saturday May 19. It's open every Saturday through November 3 and is located at the corner of University Place and Oak Avenue.

The Oak Park Farmers Market appears that it will open on Saturday June 2 and run every Saturday through October 27. It's located at the corner of Lake and Elmwood Avenues.

=R=

The Evanston Farmers Market opens at 7:30 on Saturday May 19.  It's open every Saturday through November 3 and is located at the corner of University Place and Oak Avenue.

The Evanston Farmers Market is very good and very popular.

Also very good, and very popular, is the Skokie Farmers Market. One advantage of the one in Skokie is that it is held on Sundays. That means, if you miss the one in Evanston for whatever reason (or you don't find what you're looking for), you have another chance to find it the following day in Skokie. It opens at 7:30 on the last Sunday in June and runs through the last Sunday in October. It's on Oakton Street just east of the Skokie Public Library.

OP and Brookside start this weekend, UE!

Oh boy! Here we go! Thanks, wench, I (and I'm sure the "Z") will be reporting from up North... I think Parkville's behind the rest on this. Not sure.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Yes, Brookside, OP and (of course the year-round) City Market are w-a-y ahead. Parkville generally around Mother's Day. I also just found out there is to be a market at the T-Bones' stadium (near Legends/Village West) this year, SAturday mornings beginning in May. It will be inside the stadium, in the concourse area, thence protected from extreme weather. I hope it will be well stocked (maybe the Crum's will jump ship from Parkville, since this is much closer? Dare I hope?).

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

(maybe the Crum's will jump ship from Parkville, since this is much closer? Dare I hope?).

Get behind me Satan!

You beat me to it, Z - Judy, hushhh...

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Here's the link to the Columbia, MO Farmers' Market.

I've never been, but I keep hearing great things. They start their Wednesday afternoon service at the beginning of May, so I may be able to stop in before I go into work for the night; since no one else is here when I am, I can hog the whole break room fridge :raz: . The problem with my schedule is that I never want to get up early on Saturday since I work late nights, so I always miss Farmers' Markets.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

I LOVE the Green City Market...I walk there every wednesday and as many saturdays as I can (when I am not outta town, weddings are crazy at my age, 25 yrs old, and my fiance, who is 27).

I live on the 2000 block of Lincoln Ave, which is one block west of Clark...so I am very very close, about 4 blocks, or half a mile. I go twice a week when I can becuase there are certain vendors who only come on wednesdays or saturdays...and sometimes certain wendors choose one day to go and they often pick their day randomly *sometimes wed sometimes sat*. Man I love the market, espeically the fact that capriola farms *(goats cheese) is there every third week or so...sometimes every other week...I wish they came weekly but they have quite a bit of a drive (about 5 hours each way!)

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Yes, Brookside, OP and (of course the year-round) City Market are w-a-y ahead.

Uh, well, Overland Park is sort of ahead. One vendor, yep, just one, showed up, with some stock tomatoes, California strawberries, frozen local berries, and local pecans and black walnuts.

It was cold early, and rainy, but still no excuse for such a pathetic opening weekend. We jaunted over to Brookside, where the urban co-op had a nice little array...some beautiful spring greens, pea shoots, young turnips. Good stuff. The Amish-ish meat folks were there, the bread people, and maybe two or three others. Not a lot, but enough to make me happy I went.

The Cherry Street Farmers Market opened this past saturday, I was not able to go even though I did pass by. I was on my way to Enid to judge bbq at an event over there. It looked like there was good vendor attnedence even though it was cold and rainy. I will miss this next weekend because of another BBQ event, this time in Bentonville, but will report as soon as I have a weekend in town. The Thursday afternoon Pearl District Market is still in its infancy and the two days it has been open it has been COLD. With luck, they will have a better week with warmer temperatures and hopefully a few more vendors will turn out for them.

Are you familiar with Detroit's Eastern Market?

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)