• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blue - White Plains

Went last night to see what all the fuss was about. People in Westchester rave about the place.

First, the website and menus were loaded with typos (a personal peeve, but still ... I don't get a place that can't spell "accolades" properly). The the plastic film covering the menus was stuck together with big blobs of .. something. Our waiter's tie and the cutlery on the table were flecked with food. Urk. The bread was fine, but in the center of the dish of olive oil was a very firm, very dark-blackish-green, quenelle-shaped thingie that really was unappetizing to look at.

First course of shrimp tempura was a couple of U-10s in a damp, spongy batter, atop a frisee and surrounded with a lemony sauce of mustard, red beans and onions. Hearts of Palm Salad was a little better, flavor-wise, but the knife cuts were sloppy and the vinaigrette, salty. Couldn't figure out why sundried tomatoes, plums and eggplant were in it, but I guess that was what the GM had to work with.

Soft shell crabs were okay, in my husband's words, and he liked the mashed potatoes, too. I had the 'tea-encrusted chicken' that so many around here rave about. I saw some flecks of dark stuff that I guess was tea, but could taste no apple or ginger in the sauce. The lentils were overcooked, and the baby bok choy was undercooked.

Dessert menus were delivered and the waiter disappeared. None of the offerings looked particularly exciting, but we thought we'd try the Thai chocolate cake and either the napoleon or the apple spring roll. Ten minutes passed with no revisit by the waiter, so we just had someone track him down and bring the check. That was presented and processed quickly, and we had a nice walk to the movie theater.

There were some good parts: Nice surroundings. Not overly blue, just peaceful. The backwaiters were outstanding, and our server was nice. Fine martini, even though it was poured with such a flourish that a good amount landed on the table.

In all, we don't get it. It wasn't worth it, but people here rave. For $122, we'd have expected to at least have the edges wiped on the plates.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I've only been for drinks and apps but I liked the asparagus with a walnut sauce (like noci... made with cream...).

I'd heard that was good, too, but didn't order it because of the season.

I'm sorry... what do you mean?

I'm just guessing, and wouldn't want to speak for anyone else, since I haven't been in White Plains recently, but there is a school of thought that fresh foods that were once seasonal such as asparagus, might actually be better if they were still seasonal, and not shipped in from Mexico, Chile, or California. If you wait a few weeks, you could order it and ask whether they have a local supplier.

I'm just guessing, and wouldn't want to speak for anyone else, since I haven't been in White Plains recently, but there is a school of thought that fresh foods that were once seasonal such as asparagus, might actually be better if they were still seasonal, and not shipped in from Mexico, Chile, or California. If you wait a few weeks, you could order it and ask whether they have a local supplier.

asparagus are currently in season around here..

asparagus are currently in season around here..

Yes, that was my point. They are in season.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

If asparagus are in season here, why am I not seeing them in local markets? (And no, I can't get down to NYC; I do know that Jersey has some good asparagus coming in ...)

I've only lived here a short time, and always believed that this area had a later growing season (which is why my CSA share doesn't start for another few weeks). The menu at Blue also had several fresh tomato dishes, which to me says they weren't doing the local produce thing.

True. They may not be getting their produce locally. But their supplier is probably getting asparagus a little further south where it is in season. Nyack's first farmers market is Thursday so I'll let you know!

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

I just got back from eating there. To me, it was par for the course among the yuppie-fusion type eateries--an increasing number of which seem to be named Blue, or Blū, or Bloo, or (sometimes more appropriately) Blew.

While nothing was really bad about this place, nothing was really great, either. The food was typical to this vein; a lot of your usual americanized-asian staples with a couple of minor variations. Firecracker Spring Rolls, Asian BBQ Ribs, etc--you've seen it all before. For entrees we shared Wild Boar (with huckleberry sauce, julienne veggies, and fingerling potatoes), Rack of Lamb (plum-rubbed with mashed potatoes and soy-honey syrup), and Filet Mignon (with foie gras demi glace and mashers), all of which were enjoyable but not earth-shattering. The desserts were non-descript concoctions burried in mountains of whipped cream and extraneous garnishes.

The service was quite friendly but a little bit shaky. We felt a little bit hurried when deciding on our first drinks, and the server ended up bringing out the wrong wine. Overall, though, he seemed quite knowledgable about the food and reasonably so about the wine (though we wondered if he was making up some of his wine descriptions).

In all, it was an average meal at an average place. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but I also wouldn't deter anyone from trying it themselves. I'll probably go back and give it another try at some point. To its credit, it's a new restaurant and probably still getting its bearings. I'm sure it will only get better with time.

Edited by iheartoffal (log)

Nothing to see here.

From most of these descriptions, I think it should be called BLEW!! It is definately not worth the drive of the Tappan Zee from Northern Jersey.

For me it is definately not just about decor! However, that does not mean food or service has to be perfection either.

"To invite a person to your house is to take charge of his (her) happiness for as long as he is under your roof."

Brillat Savarin

You don't have to like everything I make, but you still have to eat it.

A Co-Worker from Work

Last year's Journal News review.

Dashingly presented on a hill of gingery lentil salad, the tea-encrusted chicken was overcooked so the subtlety of tea as seasoning was lost. The fish special, striped bass crisp in corn meal, was better.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Hmm. Because Blue was on my mind, I went there for a drink with a colleague. No mint, so no mojito. I asked if they could make it with basil instead, but no go. Then they said they didn't have the NZ sauvignon blanc that was on the menu, so I chose the pinot noir. They brought me the sauv. Weird. Thank goodness my friend was drinking whiskey. Sorry I can't report on the food.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Hrmm...basil Mojito?  Is that something you've tried before?  That actually sounds kind of interesting.

Even though basil's in the mint family, but I never could get my arms around basil ice cream for dessert. In a mojito, though, it sounds great.

Hrmm...basil Mojito?  Is that something you've tried before?  That actually sounds kind of interesting.

I had a purple basil mojito at Blue Hill at Stone Barns last year and loved it. Reported about it here.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Was it just chopped or pureed like pesto? If it was pureed: a funky colored mojito. Substitute grappa or amaretto for the rum! Also pour it into purple sugar rimmed glass. Here's an idea for you Ted on Queer Eye!

Maybe the restaurant could have marketed it as an Italian Purple Punch! Of course, without the Parmigaino Reggiano, Pignoli Nuts, olive oil, or garlic.

"To invite a person to your house is to take charge of his (her) happiness for as long as he is under your roof."

Brillat Savarin

You don't have to like everything I make, but you still have to eat it.

A Co-Worker from Work

I had a purple basil mojito at Blue Hill at Stone Barns last year and loved it.  Reported about it here.

I remember those, and that piece, too. Tina, that woman could make a drink. Never had one, myself, but everyone raved about them. I was/am a sucker for the blackcurrant Cosmo.

Was it just chopped or pureed like pesto?

No, it was just like a regular mojito, but with basil. It was muddled in the bottom of the glass with lime juice and then the rest of the drink was built on top.

I was/am a sucker for the blackcurrant Cosmo.

MMM those were good. I recently had the rhubarb cosmo, too, and it was great.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.