• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

La Cambusa in Fairlawn

shugga

We went to La Cambusa, in Fairlawn on Tuesday night.  It is a very small restaurant on Maple Ave.

The food was good.  It seems to have a lot of regulars, you can linger over your drinks or coffee as long as you want, no one rushes you.  They have a very large wine list.

I had pork medalions with porcini mushrooms in a sherry sauce.  It was very good.  My daughter and son both had the lobster ravioli in vodka sauce, and they raved about it.  My husband had the filet mignon in a port wine sauce and said it was good but he's had better.

Nice atmosphere, we will probably try it again.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde

• 1 year later...

La Cambusa wasn't a BYO when it was in Fairlawn, in fact it had quite an extensive wine list. I am assuming they will have a liquor liscence in Ridgewood, also.

I don't know where they will put another restaurant in Ridgewood.

They already have about 60 sit-down places.

As for a liquor license in Ridgewood, I don't think so.

Most places there can't afford them and even Zarole's, 28 Oak, Village Green, Radicchio's, etc. don't have them. I last heard that they cost in the neighborhood of $500,000 to one million. No new licenses are being issued, so you have to buy one from someone who has one and no one is selling.

ridgewood is selling its last liquor license for about 400k. that will be the 8th and final (based on population). ridgewood still has plenty of room for a restaurant. considering that a huge parking garage is going up downtown, i have to think that there's a bit of room left.

that 60 number is suspect. if it includes pizza places and chinese places, it's largely deceiving.

I found the article in NJ Tables. And it says that La Cambusa is moving to 16-18 Chestnut Street, Ridgewood, in August of this year.

It also states, full bar, extensive wine list, parking on premises, private parties on Sunday and catering available.

I found the article in NJ Tables.  And it says that La Cambusa is moving to 16-18 Chestnut Street, Ridgewood, in August of this year. 

It also states, full bar, extensive wine list, parking on premises, private parties on Sunday and catering available.

oddly, NY Pizza Factory is listed as 16 Chestnut. i don't know of any liquor licenses available in Ridgewood expect that one that's going on the market. however, it hasn't been sold as far as i know. i can't picture what is next to the NY Pizza Factory, but i'll take a swing by and check it out. i'm very curious now. :wacko:

16-18 chestnut is most definitely New York Pizza Factory. i wonder if they're going under. they seem like they do pretty well.

the "parking on premises" bit seems way off. i don't think they have any sort of private lot there. and the bit about the full bar is strange. this should be interesting.

• 6 months later...

La Campania in Fair Lawn. I have been there several times. The food is very good - lots of little extras and large portions. I usually get 2 meals out of the leftovers alone. It appears to be a family-run operation and the cost of dining there is quite reasonable. Unfortunately since the place is so popular it is always crowded and a bit loud. It is definately not the place to go for an intimate dinner. The menu selections are not your standard Italian fare, though they have the basics but most of the menu is more innovative. It is much nicer on the inside than it appears on the outside.