• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Seafood Joints

Thanks all for the tips on Vij's waiting times. I relayed the info to Mr. Snacky_Cat, who has now decided that he wants fish on his birthday. Our pinned guide to previous threads notes that we haven't gone over the best-ofs for seafood yet, so here we go...

Best seafood in Vancouver, non-Asian (no sashimi, no Kirin - Mr Cat wants a big hunk o' fish on his special day).

C is the obvious choice, but that's where we did my birthday last July, so it's out of the question for the present party. Fish House in Stanley Park is on the list - it's in the Entertainment Book and I've always enjoyed meals there. Any other suggestions?

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

I would look at Rain City Grill...great view on their patio, and the last time I was there on the mains menu they had Ness River Salmon, local trout, and seabass available.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

How about The Cannery?

We were there 6 weeks ago and the food was very good, service very good and boy is that wine list broad and deep.

Plus you get to feel like you are going into pre glasnost East Germany trying to get there.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Hi, Snacky!

I haven't been to the Cannery in a while, but my dad and I enjoyed it. Another place we've been to and enjoyed several times is The Spotted Prawn (also in the Entertainment book, as is the Cannery), but they lost their gorgeous view when Shaw Tower was built...we've only been once since that happened, and their custom was way way down. I honestly am not sure if the quality will stay high when patronage is low...maybe someone else here has been recently?

Blue Water is nice and close, indeed; you won't have far to stumble home for your Champagne and cake festivities :smile: you can see the menu online here.

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

At a recenct business lunch I ordered off the fresh fish sheet and got a perfectly grilled piece of local snapper as a result. The list was quite extensive and they even asked how I wanted it cooked. Add to that an oyster bar plus a pretty good wine list and you might just have a contender.

Not at all. You're quite right it is a rockfish and as an 'oportunistic' feeder isn't something you want to see raw and wriggling on your plate. As I recall the transaction I was mildly surprised they asked (I'm just a tad more interested in the potential employers at the table) and simply said 'medium would be just cooked through right?' and got an affirmative answer.

Anyway the chef knew what he was doing even if the waiter and customer didn't. :hmmm:

PS The restaurant was Joe Fortes.

I've always enjoyed Coast in Yaletown - interesting menu, nice room, friendly/professional service. The only thing to keep in mind is that Coast could be very busy on weekends, so be prepared to carry on a loud conversation.

My wife and I ate at the Fish House on Sunday Night. Have to say it was very good. We started out with Cesaers, and for our main courses my wife had the 1/2 lb. King Crab Legs while I had the Seared Scallops wrapped in prociutto. The service and food we're very good and we will be back again. Since it was a Holiday we couldn't use our E-book coupon, but even without the discount we thought it was a decent value.

Sunday Morning Brunch was with friends at Coast. My wife had the Lobster Rosti and I had the Crab Frittata. Excellent Brunch and a big thanks to the Manager for getting us in at the last minute.

Either place I'm sure you will get a great meal for a special night.

I would have to say that Bluewater is on the list but a bit pricey for what you get. Coast Restaurant is supposedly a hotspot- was there for Mom's Brunch and place was packed - amazing benny with house smoked wild salmon - Mom was glad and all were pleased, what else is there to say!!

Anyone receiving FoodService and Hospitality magazine, this restaurant is on the front cover with a great article inside to boot - kudos to them, this place is beautiful. Also mentioned in the latest issue of Bon Apetit Magazine - what a power play!!

hmm.. to be honest i wasn't that impressed with C restaurant, we went there for mother's day brunch and the food was okay (just okay) and the service was disappointing. i'd been before for dinner and when i went that time it was fabulous so maybe i'll just go for dinner not brunch next time. also wasn't too terribly impresssed when i went to blue water too. food and service both were mediocre. did i catch them on an off night? i loved the fish house tho. thought everything was very fresh and flavourful. anyone been to kettle of fish lately? i haven't been in a while and am just wondering if it's still good. :smile: