• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Marzano Tomatoes?

Downstairs at the St. Lawrence Market and at Lady Yorke. Likely about $3 per can.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

• 4 weeks later...

Today's Globe has a new PC Insider's Report with a San Marzano look-alike under the Splendido label. Apparently Loblaws has a 28 oz. can of plum tomatoes for $1.29, and they claim they are better than San Marzano, but from an area nearby, and canned within a day of being picked.

I hope someone here can taste test Splendido and San Marzano if you're able to get both.

Today's Globe has a new PC Insider's Report with a San Marzano look-alike under the Splendido label.  Apparently Loblaws has a 28 oz. can of plum tomatoes for $1.29, and they claim they are better than San Marzano, but from an area nearby, and canned within a day of being picked.

I hope someone here can taste test Splendido and San Marzano if you're able to get both.

Today's Globe didn't get delivered in most areas of Toronto! Anyway, back on topic, I'll look for them tomorrow and do a taste comparison at the weekend. I always have San Marzano in the pantry, so I'll come up with something,maybe a light sauce, it's far too nice to do anything heavy....suggestions welcome.

I picked up the Splendido tomatoes yesterday as they were news to me. I used them in a basic vodka tomato sauce and they're actually not bad, the difference with SM tomatoes is fairly negligible.

I wouldn't say the same about the Splendido pasta, which is often more expensive than Barilla and not quite as good.

I picked up the Splendido tomatoes yesterday as they were news to me. I used them in a basic vodka tomato sauce and they're actually not bad, the difference with SM tomatoes is fairly negligible.

I opened a can of Splendido plum tomatoes, and found that they are actually not bad, the difference with SM is fairly negligible! They are slightly sweet, and you won't find that in a domestic product unless they add sugar.

But it begs the question: Why pay $3. and up for San Marzano? Especially with our own local fresh crop now coming on the market.

• 3 weeks later...

I opened a can of Splendido plum tomatoes, and found that they are actually not bad, the difference with SM is fairly negligible! They are slightly sweet, and you won't find that in a domestic product unless they add sugar.

But it begs the question: Why pay $3. and up for San Marzano? Especially with our own local fresh crop now coming on the market.

I tried both the DOP SM and the Spendido, the other day and while I liked the SM's better, as they were a bit brighter and sweeter, it isn't worth the extra $3 a can. Of course you're right, why even bother with cans right now with the summer approaching.

I tried both the DOP SM and the Spendido, the other day and while I liked the SM's better, as they were a bit brighter and sweeter, it isn't worth the extra $3 a can. Of course you're right, why even bother with cans right now with the summer approaching.

I made some penne ala vodka the other night. I used 2 cans of splendido for the sauce. It was good, but I could definatly tell the difference between DOP. I did see the DOP's at st. lawrence market, but I couldnt justify spending 3.75 a can.

Just a little bit of advice...

Instead of listening to all the hype surrounding "san marzano" bla bla bla (granted, they are good, but not 2-3X as good to justify the cost) why not try something different...

I would suggest looking for canned cherry tomatoes...I found some at Grande Cheese (and San Marzano for $1.95/can) for a decent price, and boy do they blow ANY other canned tomatoes out of the water (IMO)

Enjoy.

Instead of listening to all the hype surrounding "san marzano" bla bla bla (granted, they are good, but not 2-3X as good to justify the cost) why not try something different...

I would suggest looking for canned cherry tomatoes...I found some at Grande Cheese (and San Marzano for $1.95/can) for a decent price, and boy do they blow ANY other canned tomatoes out of the water (IMO)

Enjoy.

Thanks, sadistick, I haven't seen those but will have a look. Pretty soon it won't matter, my tomato plants are taking over my garden. :shock: This is a good thing, it's the first time I've ever grown anything but herbs.....

:wacko:

my tomato plants are taking over my garden. :shock: This is a good thing, it's the first time I've ever grown anything but herbs.....

Medicinal?

Not lately, but boy did I get hell from my dad when he came home from a business trip when I was in high school. Mom, on the other hand, had been watering it for a couple weeks saying "What a lovely fern, dear." :shock::laugh::shock:

I have little green roma and supersweet grape/cherry tomatos on the bushes as of yesterday!

(And I just sold some oregano to the neighbour.. :raz: )

• 2 months later...

Diminishing returns. I'd rather pay $3 compared to $1.29 for better tomatoes if I'm not cooking them too much.

• 1 month later...

Pasquale Bros in Etobicoke has the real McCoy SM- there are many cans that have the labels, but misleading if not DOC.

There is a difference if you get the real thing. Can should be above $3 to give you an idea.

But this year, the tomatoe season was great in Toronto. I planted SM in my backyard, and in September they were delicious. Made tomato sauce that rivalled a real SM from Campania.

What are you making? Pizza or pasta?

Explorer.

"I hate people who are not serious about their meals." Oscar Wilde

• 3 months later...

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does DOC mean? and what is so special about these tomatoes..not really a big fan of tomatoes but I do use tomato sauce a lot so it would be really great to get some information. Also, what is the big deal about Muir Glen?

thanks so very much :smile:

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does DOC mean? and what is so special about these tomatoes..not really a big fan of tomatoes but I do use tomato sauce a lot so it would be really great to get some information. Also, what is the big deal about Muir Glen?

thanks so very much  :smile:

check out this thread for more informationsan marzano

thanks so very much :smile:

thanks so very much  :smile:

Although a recent U.S. poll in a noted food magazine listed Muir Glen at the bottom, to my tastes, Muir Glen fire roasted tomatoes are absolutely the best. On occassion, I've eaten them right out of the can.

As a person who nevers buys the poor excuse for a tomato in the winter months, Muir Glen canned tomatoes fit the bill. They are great for sauce and excellent for a quick salsa. Give them a whirl next time. They are organic as well.

What is DOP? Since no one has addressed this question, I looked it up and found... "in 1996, the European Union denoted the tomatoes with a DOP (Protected Denomination of Origin)."

Although why this is not called PDO, I cannot say.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

It is called DOP as that is the letter order when translated into Italian. I'm sorry I missed your question and failed to address it earlier.