• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1/2 pound of Linguica

rabidscottsman

Today i was driving through Saulk Rapids Minnesota, a small town near St Cloud. I stopped in at a meat market (Manea's meat co). While looking around i bought a half pound of linguica links (3 links) for $1.95.

Heres my question! I have never eaten Linguica before and i was wondering if anybody had any ideas for me on how to prepare this

Grill them up, find some crusty bread to eat with them. Crack open a beer, or a Guarana drink.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Yes, grilled on some nice bread with red onion, mustard and spinach. Or, break them up and use in a pasta sauce. Yum.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

Portuguese Caldo Verde Soup. I found a recipe online that looks close to what I use: click

(Can also throw a beef soup bone in there, and/or some beans; tastes better after reheating the next day...)

edited to add: looks like Chris was thinking along the same lines... :smile:

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Note that Brazilian and Portuguese linguiças are very different things. Brazilian linguiças are Italian-style fresh sausages, while Portuguese linguiças are cured sausages, i.e. a type of chouriço.

Chloe

north-west Portugal

Right, I was referring to the Brazilian ones. The dry ones can be used in rice dishes, antipasto type things, etc, just like dried Chouriço/Chorizo.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Nuttin' better than linguica (Portuguese) and scrambled eggs. In fact that's what I'm having for breakfast. We have a new sausage guy at the Long Beach Marina Farmer's Market and I'm trying his product for the first time. Well, not really the first time...I had lots of samples at the market on Sunday. Good stuff. But he doesn't carry andouille, despite the fact that someone complains about that nearly every week. Get on it, dude!

Back on topic:

linguica and eggs. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Note that Brazilian and Portuguese linguiças are very different things. Brazilian linguiças are Italian-style fresh sausages, while Portuguese linguiças are cured sausages, i.e. a type of chouriço.

Chloe

north-west Portugal

Thanks for pointing this out! I was assuming they were Portuguese as those are what I am familiar with.

What type do you have rabidscottsman?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Portugese linguiça sausage (a/k/a chouriço) is similar to chorizo, but has less paprika and more pepper and garlic, plus red wine. Excellent linguiça is available by mail order from Lopes Sausage Co., 304 Walnut St., Newark, NJ 07105, 973/344-3063.

The classic breakfast in Hawaii is sliced linguica and fried eggs, over white rice (sticky, short grain), topped with onions melted with the linguica juices. Linguica in Hawaii comes in various degrees of spiciness: hot, mild, and fake claims in between.

I've found this breakfast in some of the So.CA surfer hangouts, which is maybe where Kitwilliams (above) found it.

Edited by crosparantoux (log)

• 1 month later...

Chloe

north-west Portugal

Thanks for pointing this out! I was assuming they were Portuguese as those are what I am familiar with.

What type do you have rabidscottsman?

Ludja

Sorry its taken so long to respond back on the thread, I looked at the package and it says its the portuguese style. I think im going to try the Linguica with the scrambled eggs for breakfast this week!