• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What shall I do with a pint of pork blood?

Ktepi

Killing time before a movie this afternoon led to wandering through an Asian market I hadn't been to since first moving into town, and the offerings were different today: after filling my basket with produce, I found the freezer filled with pints of pork blood.

"Hey," I thought to myself. "I love blood sausage. And didn't Steingarten write something about searching for pigs blood?"

So I came back after the movie and bought it.

It's frozen, so there's no rush, and I'll track down that Steingarten essay, but I have no idea what to do with this stuff. I know you can use blood to thicken sauces, but not how -- do you need to temper it like egg? -- and can't imagine how much sauce I'd be making that would justify thawing the whole pint, unless I were doing a blood-themed dinner for ... I don't know, Red Cross Day or something.

I don't have a sausage maker, and have never made link sausage before -- all the recipes I see for blood sausage are links, and I don't know if it's feasible to make it "loose," or in patties.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Pointers to previous threads I missed?

Bloody marys? The drink? Your kidding right? Unless the I have missed something, to my knowledge bloody marys get their name from the tomato juice in them. What say eGulleters, have I led a sheltered life?

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

Oh, I was definitely kidding about that, I don't even like vodka all that much.

I've been googling around, and it looks like I can make blood sausage in "very large patty" form by baking it in a bain marie, so currently that's the plan -- I can buy the black pudding The Missus likes from Ireland, but I haven't been able to find the Spanish one I like in a few years, so I may give that a try.

Fergus Henderson's Nose to Tail has a recipe for blood cake and fried eggs, too, which I'd completely forgotten about.

Oh, I was definitely kidding about that, I don't even like vodka all that much.

I've been googling around, and it looks like I can make blood sausage in "very large patty" form by baking it in a bain marie, so currently that's the plan -- I can buy the black pudding The Missus likes from Ireland, but I haven't been able to find the Spanish one I like in a few years, so I may give that a try.

Fergus Henderson's Nose to Tail has a recipe for blood cake and fried eggs, too, which I'd completely forgotten about.

I asked a Spanish friend of mine last night what he thought, and in addition to giving me a copy of an old cookbook chapter on morcilla (with variations from all over Spain, some involving things I've never thought of), he mentioned the bain marie method as well. Suggested cutting the congealed result into cubes and sauteeing quickly with a touch of garlic, then serving with a tomato-y sauce (my Spanish is not great, and he doesnt' speak English, and Jameson's was involved, so I didn't really get much more on the sauce.)

The cookbook chapter looks great and old (thus I don't feel bad about the copying.) If you'd like, and can read Spanish or know someone who can, post a reply and I'll figure out how to get you one (I'm new to being active on eG so am not sure of protocol for posting contact info etc ... lots of rules here, don't want to break any ...)

Richard W. Mockler

Seattle

I will, in fact, eat anything once.

The cookbook chapter looks great and old (thus I don't feel bad about the copying.)  If you'd like, and can read Spanish or know someone who can, post a reply and I'll figure out how to get you one (I'm new to being active on eG so am not sure of protocol for posting contact info etc ... lots of rules here, don't want to break any ...)

That would be fantastic! Any of the Spanish I can't read myself, I have two friends who speak it better than me and have cooked in Spanish-speaking countries, so would have a better shot at the cooking terms.

If it isn't something you can post, I think you can email me from my profile (I'm new too).