• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SobaAddict's annual Bay Area vacation (2005)

I suppose this is long enough in advance that this thread is viable.

I haven't been to San Francisco in well over two years. The last time I was out here, I was performing basic research for a move to SF, as documented in this thread. Thanks to those of you who made suggestions.

This year, some things have changed. I won't be moving to SF for a couple of years. It's more of a vacation for pleasure.

I want to do a sort of eating tour of the Bay Area and I don't want to limit myself to just SF. I don't want to limit myself to the star attractions -- Chez Panisse, Gary Danko, Fifth Floor and FL. Two years is an eternity in the restaurant world. I'd imagine that many restaurants have come and gone.

Here's your chance to plan my eating odyssey for me.

Just a few rules:

1. I want to go to one of the star attractions besides Chez Panisse. What's hot, who's not and has anything improved since then?

2. I want to experience more of Napa Valley. Whilst I won't have access to wheels personally, well...that's what friends are for. :wink:

3. I want to experience more of Oakland and Berkeley. Where should I go and what's hot?

4. No fusion cuisine, please. I'm just not a fan of the concept. (By fusion, I mean, no Brazillian-Provencal French-Russian themed restaurants. That's an extreme example but you get the idea. Pan-Asian is included.)

Ok, go ahead and discuss. :biggrin:

Soba

3.  I want to experience more of Oakland and Berkeley.  Where should I go and what's hot?

I don't know what is hot at the moment, as I haven't been living in the east bay for some time. But two of my favorite restaurants are Bay Wolf, which is in Oakland, and Lalimes, which is in Albany/Berkeley. Bay Wolf is a classic and does wonderful duck dishes.

Manresa Los Gatos

I was just going to post that. Based on everything I've read on here this is the place I want to be sure to hit next time I'm in town.

Bill Russell

I used to live in the Bay Area, for special trips into SF I would go to The Stinking Rose. Over the years the quality was consistent, but I haven't been there recently. It is located in North Shore near the faaaaabulous bookstore (I hope it's still there!) A Clean Well Lit Place For Books. For Italian, you must go to North Shore! China Town is also a great culinary adventure if you're into asian foods.

If you are over in the South Bay area, coastal, there are Hess Winery in Santa Cruz and also Margaritaville (not Buffet's) on the water in Capitola.

I used to live in the Bay Area, for special trips into SF I would go to The Stinking Rose.  Over the years the quality was consistent, but I haven't been there recently.  It is located in North Shore near the faaaaabulous bookstore (I hope it's still there!) A Clean Well Lit Place For Books.  For Italian, you must go to North Shore!  China Town is also a great culinary adventure if you're into asian foods.

If you are over in the South Bay area, coastal, there are Hess Winery in Santa Cruz and also Margaritaville (not Buffet's) on the water in Capitola.

It's North Beach, The bookstore is City Lights and Hess Winery and art Gallery is in Napa. Musta moved a long time ago or have your memory checked.

:hmmm::hmmm::laugh::biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

One of the best "new" (for me) restaurants I went to this year is Quince--it's been open for ~ 3 years. If you didn't catch it on your last visit you may want to check it out. Italian-California with a heavy emphasis on Italian. The chef has had training at Chez Panisse and w/Bertolli at Olivetos. They have excellent homemade past dishes and two of us had the best halibut dish I've ever had. Typical meal is: appetizer, pasta, main dish, dessert. It's in the same location in Pacific Heights where The Meetinghouse used to be.

A fun lunch or small dinner place is Hirogoyen's newest venture Bocadillos; this place has received a lot of buzz and in my opinin is worthy of it. It 's in North Beach (very close to the pyramid) and is really a great tapas type place--make sure to try the expertly fried squid which are coated with rice flour and served with aoili.

Check back in at the Ferry Building to see what new places have opened up inside.

Can't recommend for dinner (haven't been and have heard mixed things about it) but if you time before dinner or at other times they are open you might be interested in Bacar for great selections of wine by the glass. For instance, they have about 30 Austrian wines open at a time and lots of good German Rieslings as well. (They have a system to preserve open wines). Maybe these are also very available in NYC and not such a novelty... just an idea.

Based on friend's and egullet reviews the high end places I want to try right now are Manresa, Michael Mina's (mixed but some good reviews) and Campton Place (new chef).

For Napa recs it may be helpful to know where you've been before and what types of wines and/or wineries you are most excited about...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

What type of wine do you like?

Current favorites for Cabernet include Long Meadow Ranch and Regusci (besides our own Ladera). Favorite Zins? Lamborn and Outpost. Chardonnay? Smith-Madrone (no others). Sparkling? Mumm's Cuvee Red (with a splash of Syrah).

To eat in Napa? I'm a fan of Pilar, Zuzu, and Terra.

Thanks for the recs, keep 'em coming.

I'm not sure yet if it's going to be end of July or end of September. I'm sure I'll think of something. :wink:

Carolyn: I'm educating myself on wine -- so for now, it's mostly whites. As for reds, I'm very picky. Very very picky. The fruitier, the better. I love banyuls, for instance. However, I'm slowly learning.

A place where they can hand hold a wine newbie such as myself would be ideal. Any thoughts?

Soba

A place where they can hand hold a wine newbie such as myself would be ideal.  Any thoughts?

Soba

Soba:

An excellent training seminar for wine newbies is available at Merryvale Vineyards. The seminar is given in the lovely Cask Room and teaches you to "map your palate" by tasting the various components of wine, such as acid, tannin, sugar and alcohol. Classes are held every Saturday and Sunday and more info is available HERE. I think it could prove a valuable experience for you and show you a bit more about tasting that could be applied immediately on the rest of your trip. :cool:

Somewhere I have a Napa Valley travel itinerary of the places I visited. PM me if you'd like me to send it to you.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I've said it on other threads, but as a wine beginner two years ago my wife and I went to Joseph Phelps and signed up for their Wine Tasting 101 (or something like that). Good wine, helpful staff and a nice setting.

Bill Russell