• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Identifying a puddingy Turkish dessert

Last night I had dinner at a fantastic Turkish diner. They offer about 10 dessert options, and we chose revani (a cornbready cake made from semolina and almonds, soaked with sweet syrup) and something else, for which I cannot find the right name.

This dessert is a creamy, vanilla-tasitng pudding. It is quite stiff and came sandwiched between two thin layers of filo. I asked the waitress for the name, and after some thought, she said it was laztaldaza (spelling mine) and that you can just call it "laz" (she pointed out that this was spelled L-A-Z). I haven't had any luck googling for this stuff... anyone?

couldn't have been some incarnation of Om Ali?

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

It may have been Laz Boregi

Thanks, that looks like it might be it (or a very similar thing)!

Plus, the site you linked to gave this wonderful tip:

Cooking Tips:  Hamburgers will cook faster if you make a few punctures in them before cooking. This allows the heat to circulate more evenly.

heh.

We had the BEST galactoboureko tonight, as guests of friends who had discovered a great Greek place downtown.

We DID save room for dessert, and each couple shared a plate---swirls of chocolate sauce on the plate, dusting of cinnamon as a base for the 4" square slab of glorious sweet custardy perfection. Just the right combination of eggs and milk and sugar, with a master's hand on the vanilla and the cooking time.

Only three sheets of phyllo top and bottom, whispery as paper, crisp and buttery. The slices were almost 2" high, and so rich I could not finish my half; no worry--Hubby was glad to oblige.

We're all transplanted Southerners, and when our host asked if we liked it, I said that a whole Baptist church full of women cooking for a church supper would turn in their aprons and bow down before the cook who brought THIS dish. I do believe it was the BEST dessert I've ever had in a restaurant.

Simply perfect.

Edited by racheld (log)

I also love Galaktoboureko.

I had a recipe from a Greek friend, but I can't find it. :shock: I thought I had put it in my recipe file on my computer, but it is not there.

The recipe above is similiar. However, I do not use all of the sugar syrup on the pie. I don't like it that sweet.

I just remembered that I add 1 tsp of grated orange peel and a couple of cinnamon sticks to the sugar syrup and about 1 tsp of grated orange peel to the semolina mixture.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

Oh good, I found my recipe. With directions adapted to conform to eG policy:

* Exported from MasterCook *

GALAKTOBOUREKO

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

6 c milk

1 c fine semolina

3 1/2 T cornstarch

3 c granulated sugar

1/4 tsp salt

6 Eggs

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 T Butter

12 filo sheets

3/4 c butter -- melted & hot

1 c water

1 lemon or orange (peel only)

2 T brandy or cognac

In a heavy-bottomed, 3-quart saucepan, bring the milk gradually to a

boil; do not allow it to scorch. Sift together the semolina, cornstarch, 1 cup of the sugar, and salt and slowly whisk into the hot milk, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Cook slowly over medium heat until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil, then remove from the heat.

Beat the eggs on high with an electric mixer. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar and continue beating for about 10 minutes, until they're fluffy, then stir in the vanilla.

Whisking briskly, add eggs to the hot pudding. Partially cover the

pan and allow to cool.

Butter a 9 x 13 pan and cover the bottom with 7 sheets of the filo, brushing each sheet with butter. Make sure that a few sheets come up the pan sides. Pour the custard into the pan over the filo. Cover with the 5 remaining sheets, brushing butter between each sheet including on the top sheet.

With the tip of a very sharp knife, score the top filo sheets into square or diamond shapes - don't cut down to the custard, just through the filo. Bake at 350 for 40 to 45 minutes, until crisp and deep golden brown on top and the custard is firm.

Meanwhile, make a syrup by boiling the remaining 1-1/2 cups sugar with the water and citrus peel for 5 minutes. Add the brandy or Cognac and set aside. Remove the galaktoboureko from the oven and spoon the hot syrup evenly over the entire surface, particularly the edges. Cool thoroughly before cutting and serving. Keep any leftovers refrigerated.

Source: adapted from

""The Food of Greece" by Vilma Liacouras Chantiles."

I'm glad to see others love this pastry, galaktoboureko. Everytime I make it, no one else seems quite as thrilled with it as I am. I can eat the whole pan of it myself: breakfast lunch and dinner until it's gone..............It's right up there in my top 10 favorite desserts.

Thanks Abra for sharing that.

I just wish I had had it a few days ago! I was invited to a "Big Fat Greek Dinner Party" on saturday nite. The hostess made everything, with a few exceptions that she bought from Zorba's, (a legendary restaurant in Baltimore). She asked me to bring dessert, which I was happy to oblige, but I didn't have a lot of time to ponder it. So, I made baklava, for lack of any other great idea. I put a twist on it however, adding good chopped chocolate to the nut layers (and used pecans because it was Spring and Derby Day :biggrin: ). I also put cocoa in the soaking syrup. It turned out fabulously, and everyone at the party asked to take an extra piece home with them to have with coffee the next morning. I ended up calling it "Chok-lava" :laugh:

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.