• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stephen Terry

Anyone know where he is working at the minute?

Cheers

Paul

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

I think he is working as a conultant (or was last time I heard)

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

Doubly odd as I was only enquiring about his whereabouts a few weeks ago. Still not heard anything however. Whatever he's doing, he should stop arsing about, open a restaurant and cook there. Preferably in Sussex.

Paul - did Terry ever work for Ramsay? Le Gavroche, Harveys, The Canteen, Coast, Frith Street, The Walnut Inn, then consultancy at Cecconi and then God knows what. Have I missed anything, did he spend time in France?

Doubly odd as I was only enquiring about his whereabouts a few weeks ago. Still not heard anything however. Whatever he's doing, he should stop arsing about,  open a restaurant and cook there. Preferably in Sussex.

Sod Sussex, STAFFORDSHIRE, now, there's a place that needs a decent restaurant!

Not sure if he did ever work for Gordon, though they were (are?) very good friends and Stephen seemed to move about a fair bit, he might have washed his pans at some point!?

No answer either in the book which reminded me of Stephen

Has anyone read Off The Menu: Conversational Chefs by Bob Mullan

Received it today, having never heard of it (published '98), what's everyone's thoughts/memoirs?

Quite shocking in parts, lot of bitching.

Paul

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

I bought that book a while ago. The Aikens interview is a classic, I'm sure he regrets saying some of those things now. Its a bit of a hack job, just straight transcriptions of rather rambling interviews with repetitious questions. But if you can pick it up cheap (I saw a copy in a Brighton North Lanes bookshop for a fiver recently) its work a look.

The Tom Aikens one really does stand out, so cringe worthy! Ripping the piss out of Marco and Nico. Wonder if and Marco ever crossed paths...

How much effort do these chefs put into these interviews?

Tommy Cooper

How much effort do these chefs put into these interviews?

Well, in my experience, you just turn up, ask a couple of questions and off they go! You can't shut most of them up. The work is then for the journalist to make something cohesive and interesting out of all those words. Its about selecting the material, ordering it and putting in some nice links. What you've got in Off the Menu is a direct, probably completely unedited, transcription of a taped interview of around an hour or so. Its also very obvious that Bob Mullins is a generalist with no specific knowledge of restaurants and chefs and that he is reading a list of pre-preapared questions. As I recall, there's little sense of him reacting to answers. There's some interested stuff in there though. i must take another look at it.

Had a quick look at mine- it really captures the time it was written in, I wonder if any of the participants have read it back to themselves ?

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Very much Marco Marco Marco, and the occasional talk of Michelin Stars and Micheal Winner.

Tommy Cooper

Great book. Highlights for me were-

Steve Terry talking about the inspiration he was getting from a little known restaurant in Spain called El Bulli. I think he was at Coast at the time.

Gordon Ramsay saying he thought tv work was scary and not really for him!

Marco Pierre White larging it up.

Tom Aitkens saying it was out of order to hit your staff and laying down massive hints about a chef who might have assaulted his staff. He was sacked a couple of months later for branding a chef with a pallete knife.

The PR machine hadn't blanded everything out back then, and they spoke their minds, not the boring predictable stuff we get these days. Shame.

About the same time is a softer book called The Star Chefs Cok Book, where Tom Aitkins talks about the amazing meal he had at El Bulli back in 1998 too!

What a line up! Marco, Ramsay, Stephen Terry. Anthony Demetre was also there at this time. Does anybody else know of other successful chefs cooking in that team?

I wish I had eaten at Harvey's. :sad:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Eric Chavot now at The Capital

Tommy Cooper