• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mother's Day Cakes

Tepee

That's really cool, I think you need to make the ladies a cake to eat at that viewing too (so when Mom is bragging they can swoon over the taste too). It's a beautiful cake Tepee! I wish I could have seen it in person too. You just can't appreciate the difficulty of the scale of your cake in a photo. I also like your color choices...........very modern yet traditional. By the way, what exactly does your lettering say? Is that happy mothers day or something else?

Thanks, Wendy! I don't think I can squeeze in another cake this week, already have 5 to do! Besides, getting orders for cakes is the last thing I want.

You're very right in saying that small cakes have their share of difficulty. :wacko:

The chinese have at least 3 ways of saying 'mother'. This is the most affectionate way, "Mah Mah". And I chose traditional chinese writing over the simplified one because my mom and I learnt the traditional one.

Yup! Here they come.......... :smile:

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Dailey, am I thrilled that you can finally post your pix! Great cakes. Love the colors of your shoe box cake, and the leather effect of the LV bag.

To post more than one image, simply click the IMG again, go to your image in ImageGullet, copy the string and paste.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

wendy,

thanks for the kind words! for the stripes on the shoebox, i just used 2 different sizes of masking tape. i spaced them out to create the pattern, then airbrushed them 2 different colors. :biggrin:

for the purse, i put the fondant on the cake first because if i didn't, i'm sure the fondant would have stretched and distorted the logos. i painted them on with a combo of brown and white gels until i got a light brown color. it took forever, about 2 1/2 hours! i used gold luster dust/everclear to paint on the buckles and zipper. i used to used vodka but everclear is so much better because it dries faster, thus, less steaks! :biggrin:

Jason, I want a taste of that cake! .......does that bakery have a website?

No, they are EXTREMELY low tech. But we've got an ongoing thread about them here with a bunch of photos:

Patisserie St. Michel (click)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I said I was making some more teapots...looks like it's just one more...change of plans. This one's for MIL. Lustre Dust put there to compare size.

gallery_12248_1197_16446.jpg

Oh, and this cake was covered in lustre dust, b'coz I know MIL will peel off all the fondant before eating the cake. :wink:

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)