• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Butter Puff Pastry

I know it's been discussed, I know how to make it, but I think you can fiind anything in Houston if you look hard enough. I cannot find the brand of all butter Puff pastry however. please help.

Since I don't live in Texas and don't know the stores, I can't help you with a specific reference, but I should think that a high-end supermarket, one that touts itself as gourmet would be the best place to look.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Look in the frozen aisle--where they have frozen tart shells, bread and pizza doughs--that's where you'll find sheets of frozen puff. Then check the ingredients--last time I looked Pepperidge Farm puff was not all butter but one that is all butter that has fairly wide distribution is DuFours. I've used it, it's quite good.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

DuFours is the brand that I've purchased from Whole Foods and Andronico's in California. I'd bet that Central Market would have it if anyone would. Perhaps Eatzies (sp?) if they are still around. DuFours is not in a box that looks like pepperidge farm. It's packaged in a tin foil square and the cover is a cardboardish square held in place by the foil being folded over the edges (inside the puff is separately wrapped). I had a difficult time finding it the first time I shopped for it partially because I was looking for a well marked container, which this is not. The name is only on the cardboardish cover.

Thank you all. My sister has been trying to find it for me at whole foods and Central market. Now I'm thinking she's looking for a Pepperidge Farm look alike.. Not knowing the brand name wasn't helping the search either. You know you're a foodie when you plan a shopping trip to Houston to get some good balsamic and puff pastry! (none of my friends will go unless I go to the Galleria. I need some new friends) I'll just pick up sis in the woodlands and off we will happily go in search of DuFours!

Thank you all. My sister has been trying to find it for me at whole foods and Central market. Now I'm thinking she's looking for a Pepperidge Farm look alike.. Not knowing the brand name wasn't helping the search either. You know you're a foodie when you plan a shopping trip to Houston to get some good balsamic and puff pastry! (none of my friends will go unless I go to the Galleria. I need some new friends) I'll just pick up sis in the woodlands and off we will happily go in search of DuFours!

DuFour is the one brand I know of at the retail level that is all butter. It is ridiculously expensive, but there you are. I'd try Central Market. But even better, although I am not familiar with any of the fiendishly chic gourmet kitchenware stores cum gourmet markets, you will likely find it in one of those.

Depending on how much of the stuff you want, you could call Martin Preferred Foods, a wholesaler to the food trade. Several years ago they purchased Paris Gourmet, and so carry a comprehensive array of chocolate, pastry, flavorings, etc. for the restaurant pastry trade. Check with them, but I believe that you can buy as little as one case of puff pastry, and they have several varieties to choose from ... including 100% butter. It is very good quality. The catch is it comes in 36 pound cases, each sheet is the size of a half sheet pan, and what you are not using at the moment must, obviously, remain frozen. If you've got the freezer space, or have a jones for making a million bouchees, go for it!

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

They sell it at our WF. I stopped to look at it, it's marketed by DuFour Pastry, Inc of NY. The phone number is 212-929-2800. You could either talk to your market about getting some or perhaps call them to see if they are selling it somewhere near you.

They sell it at our WF.  I stopped to look at it, it's marketed by DuFour Pastry, Inc of NY.  The phone number is 212-929-2800.  You could either talk to your market about getting some or perhaps call them to see if they are selling it somewhere near you.

The nearest WF to me IS Houston. Thanks for the heads up, I'll get some when I go in a couple of weeks. Thanks again, btw how much was it?

, btw how much was it?

It was about $9.00 for the container..I, for the life of me, can't remember if it was 1 or 2 pounds sorry to say. I have used this and it puffs beautifully--higher than the pf-- and has a rich, melt in your mouth flavor. Some would tell you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between this and pepperidge farm, but I will either use dufours or make my own after having tried it. I'll look at the details when I go back next weekend.

I got the DuFours puff pastry at Whole Foods on Westheimer last week. It was $9.99 - I didn't notice the weight, but it was one piece of pastry. Baked up beautifully and tasted good, but at that price, I will definitely have to learn how to make it myself!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

• 4 months later...

I had to dig this thread up again to share something that gave me nightmares last night. Before bed reading, new Williams Sonoma catalog. There is the DuFour puff pastry. Sit down, this is truly painful.

$42.50 FOR ONE 14 OZ. SHEET!!!

PLUS SHIPPING!!!

aghhhhh!!!

Look in the frozen aisle--where they have frozen tart shells, bread and pizza doughs--that's where you'll find sheets of frozen puff.  Then check the ingredients--last time I looked Pepperidge Farm puff was not all butter but one that is all butter that has fairly wide distribution is DuFours. I've used it, it's quite good.

Whole Foods carries frozen DuFours. It's quite good---much more tasty than Pepperidge Farm, which is crisco-based.

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

I had to dig this thread up again to share something that gave me nightmares last night. Before bed reading, new Williams Sonoma catalog. There is the DuFour puff pastry. Sit down, this is truly painful.

PLUS SHIPPING!!!

aghhhhh!!!

White collar crime. Whoa!

• 1 month later...

I have called the company DuFour, and have had it shipped directly to me. someone was kind enough to post the phone # upthread, but still, here it is. 212-929-2800. I bought 6 sheets for a little over 100 bucks. expensive, yes. But I have no retailers here, so since they next day air (out of need) it got here today and I cannot wait till the morning and I can begin to play with it. I am well stocked with pecans, sugar, lemons, cream, milk etc...any ideas??

You can call Martin Preferred in Houston. They are a wholesale purveyor of meats, but they also handle an extensive line of pastry items and chocolates. You can buy all butter puff pastry sheets from them, but you will have to call, make the purchase, and then go to the will-calll windo to pay and pick it up. It comes in 36 pound boxes, and must remain frozen. So I would suggest taking a lot of blue ice packs to keep it cold.

There appears to be enough interest in Houston that you guys could pm/e-mail each other to set up a buying co-op - split the case 4 or 5 ways, so you can fit your share into a home freezer. The DuFour is just frighteningly expensive.

And BTW, it's really not that difficult to make ... and it is really, really cheap.

Bouchees w/ganache and praline paste w/cherries sounds like a plan.

Regards,

Theabroma

This source for marzipan came up in Pastry & Baking Forum, and I checked it for puff pastry. The price wasn't great, but it's all butter and appears cheaper than the DuFour.

https://www.surfasonline.com/products/9120.cfm

Theabroma

• 4 weeks later...

PLUS SHIPPING!!!

aghhhhh!!!

White collar crime. Whoa!

that is waaaay overpriced! I saw the same product at Central Market yesterday for $9.99.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog