• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soft Drinks with Splenda

Andrew Fenton

Hmm, no topic yet for the new formula of Diet Coke (with Splenda, not aspartame)? Time to rectify that.

At lunch today, I tried a bottle, and... it's really, really good. Doesn't taste exactly like regular Coke, but it's pretty close. There's none of the aspartame bitterness, and the flavor is more rounded and balanced. In some ways, the flavor is more like cane sugar cola than regular Coke is: maybe because Splenda is chemically close to sugar?

Does it have a special label or is it easily identifiable? Do you know if all Diet Coke changing to Splenda or will they have two formuals?

Thanks very much,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

Does it have a special label or is it easily identifiable?  Do you know if all Diet Coke changing to Splenda or will they have two formuals?

Thanks very much,

Kevin

The can/bottle has yellow ribbons & the splenda logo under the words "diet coke".

This supplements the brand, not replacing the orginal formula. Apparently there are seven (!!) diet coke derivative products on the market.

This supplements the brand, not replacing the orginal formula. Apparently there are seven (!!) diet coke derivative products on the market.

Interesting, thanks for the clarification. I guess they didn't want another fiasco on their hands. But this seems like a big improvement.

Andrew - Where did you find it? I would be very interested in trying this stuff. Since my area pretty much gets the same stuff metro philly does, I imagine it is mostly likely around here somewhere too... but I haven't seen it in grocery stores yet.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Andrew - Where did you find it?  I would be very interested in trying this stuff.  Since my area pretty much gets the same stuff metro philly does, I imagine it is mostly likely around here somewhere too... but I haven't seen it in grocery stores yet.

Not in a grocery store, but at a restaurant (Vinnie D'Amato's on South Street: good, but overpriced roast pork Italian sandwich). I haven't yet checked the supermarket to see if they have it.

Andrew - Where did you find it?  I would be very interested in trying this stuff.  Since my area pretty much gets the same stuff metro philly does, I imagine it is mostly likely around here somewhere too... but I haven't seen it in grocery stores yet.

Not in a grocery store, but at a restaurant (Vinnie D'Amato's on South Street: good, but overpriced roast pork Italian sandwich). I haven't yet checked the supermarket to see if they have it.

Gotcha, thanks for the info. I will hit up the 7-11s in the area, they seem to have a knack for getting new soft drinks in before anyone else.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Perhaps I'm too used to the old Diet Coke, but the stuff with Splenda tasted funny (neither funny ha ha, nor funny queer, mmmm hmmmm : ) It had a kind of bitter aftertaste, and a hard to describe drinking tatse. It wasn't as cold as could have been so that may have been a factor.

I will give an ice cold one a shot soon.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

I just had a bottle - I hated it. I thought it was much sweeter than the normal Diet Coke - almost a Pepsi taste to it, which to me is abhorrent.

Don't mess with my Diet Coke.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

I picked one up last week - I love it, far, far, far better than old Diet coke, and not very far off from regular coke.

Some people are a bit sensitive to Ace-K, which is the secondary sweetener used, so that could be the 'bitter' flavor some people are reporting. As for me, I will certainly be buying more of this when it shows up at the grocery.

Now I just hope Coke markets Diet Coke with Lemon sweetened with Splenda.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

i had one this afternoon and I liked it alot. I do not care for diet coke at all. I adore coke classic. The new splenda sweetended DC tastes almost like the real deal. Not the same but a lot closer. I really never drank any diet soda until me recent reduced carb diet started. Splenda diet coke is a good thing

I just tried the new diet Coke with splenda earlier this week and liked it. It's true that it doesn't measure up to Coke Classic, but to me it's a million times better than diet coke with aspartame...although I'm used to it by now.

I'm in California so I'm guessing that it's out all over the country by now.

I picked one of these up yesterday at Target. Just out of the refrigerator it tasted like regular Coke. So much better than the old diet Coke.

Funny thing though - Target had individual bottles in the refrigerated section but no 6-packs for sale. I tried to find it at my grocery and could only find the 2 liter size. I hope availability improves.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I tried some, and have to say that I enjoy the taste much better than Pepsi One (which is what I'd been drinking for the past month or so due to a recently discovered aspartame sensitivity). However, I don't like it as much as "regular" Diet Coke.

Misa

Sweet Misa

I'm with Viva--DON'T mess with my Diet Coke! I'll take mine with LIME! Love that stuff. The aspartame "bitterness" must be part of it, because it's the BITE and the lack of syrupy taste that endear Diet Coke to me. I hate regular Coke, haven't availed myself of the watery syrup in a decade or more.

That said, I WILL be trying the new Splenda Coke, just because I have to. Try new things, that is. Have to. We don't have any yet here, but I will get some when we do. It will have to be really good to come close to Diet Coke. And if it indeed tastes like Coke Classic, it will go in the sink. :hmmm:

Catherine

Tried my first bottle today. I liked it. I hope it becomes a permanent flavor, and that they do a w/lime derivative.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

It seems to be a love/hate thing with very little in-between. I was witness to someone practically choking on it today, but I liked it a lot.

It still has the general Diet soda rule though--the colder the better. Some things don't change.

For those looking for this, here's a detail shot on the labeling:

gallery_18_2_57307.jpg

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Hm, to my palate regular Coke (especially the stuff made with real sugar) tastes so much better than Diet Coke with nutrasweet.

I'm headed to another grocery store today to see if they have 6-packs of DC w/Splenda. If I can find it might just replace Diet Pepsi Vanilla and Diet Barq's as my regular soda.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme