• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soft Drinks with Splenda

Andrew Fenton

It seems to be a love/hate thing with very little in-between.  I was witness to someone practically choking on it today, but I liked it a lot.

That was me. I thought it was horrible. I don't like Diet Coke, and this seemed worse to me, but we didn't do a side by side comparison, and I haven't had Diet Coke in a while. I suppose it might be worth collecting cans of the various versions and doing a taste test. Just to see which I really hate the most. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I got my first 12 pack of the stuff (at Target in Reston, VA) this past weekend. Put me in the "love it" column- tastes almost like the real thing! It didn't seem as fizzy as regular formula Diet Coke, though. I hope they keep the flavor. If it comes in caffeine-free, I may become a dietcokewithsplendaholic.

I love Diet Coke, and hate regular Coke. I don't understand the constant quest to make what is an inherently drier drink into one that is so sweet it makes your teeth ache.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I'm on my fourth or fifth liter-and-a-half of the stuff. I think it's a huge step forward in Coca-Cola technology. It tastes very similar to real Coke. It tastes nothing like Diet Coke. Real Coke tastes good. Diet Coke tastes awful. Therefore Diet Coke with Splenda is good.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I love Diet Coke, and hate regular Coke.  I don't understand the constant quest to make what is an inherently drier drink into one that is so sweet it makes your teeth ache.

I think those of us who've migrated to diet sodas over the years feel like we've been deprived in some way. So, even though most of us have gotten used to -- and even come to enjoy -- the general-issue diet sodas, finding one that tastes more like "the real thing" :wink: makes us feel good :smile:

I'll have to give this splenda version of diet coke a try.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I love Diet Coke, and hate regular Coke.  I don't understand the constant quest to make what is an inherently drier drink into one that is so sweet it makes your teeth ache.

I think those of us who've migrated to diet sodas over the years feel like we've been deprived in some way. So, even though most of us have gotten used to -- and even come to enjoy -- the general-issue diet sodas, finding one that tastes more like "the real thing" :wink: makes us feel good :smile:

I'll have to give this splenda version of diet coke a try.

=R=

Fair enough - I can see that. I suppose my dentist has my mother's own addiction to Diet Coke to thank for my pristine teeth. :raz:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I've always preferred the taste of diet sodas, which I find lighter and less sweet, to the taste of "regular" Coke, Pepsi (ok, I just hate pepsi in general, ew) and Dr. Pepper, all of which I find far too cloyingly sweet & syrupy to be thirst-quenching. The only "regular" soda I actually like to drink is root beer - and I'm picky about which one.

All that said, I really like the Diet Coke with Splenda - it's got the taste of regular Coke without the oversyrupy mouthfeel, it's lighter and a little more refreshing without the slight aspartame aftertaste, and pretty much delicious.

I hope they come out with caffeine free - it and Fresca will be sharing equal space in my fridge if that ever happens.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Does anyone know which sweetner is used in the Diet Coke in Europe? It definitely tastes different than the diet coke in the States. Actually, it tastes better (i.e., less chemically and closer to regular coke).

Damn, this particular soda really DOES split people right down the middle. My Dad, who is a life-long cola enthusiast favored non-diet for a lot of years and only switched to Diet Coke about 7 or 8 years ago... and he HATES the Splenda Diet Coke. He used almost the same terms to describe it as a few other objections I know ("disgusting").

I think that people must undergo some kind of brain chemical transition when they stop tasting Aspartame, and everything else tastes off somehow afterwards. :biggrin:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

is this a NEW diet coke?

It's a seperate product from "regular" Diet Coke. It's a weird bit of marketing though, because the label is virtually identical to "regular" Diet Coke, as can be seen in the close-up photo I posted earlier in this thread.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I'm with Viva--DON'T mess with my Diet Coke!  I'll take mine with LIME!  Love that stuff.  The aspartame "bitterness" must be part of it, because it's the BITE and the lack of syrupy taste that endear Diet Coke to me.  I hate regular Coke, haven't availed myself of the watery syrup in a decade or more. 

My thoughts exactly. The Splenda version tastes too sweet to me. I like the regular Diet Coke (+/- Lime); and no Diet Pepsi!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I finally tried Diet Coke with Splenda yesterday and I was disappointed. It reminded me a lot of Diet Rite; not a bad product but not one I particularly care for. Not sure if it's relevant or not but Diet Rite is also sweetened with 100% Splenda.

Admittedly, it's been a few months since I had a regular Coke but I didn't find very many common notes between it and the Splenda version I tried yesterday.

If I have time, I'm going to conduct a "triangle" at work this week between all 3 products and see if I can truly identify each one on a blind basis. I have a feeling that the regular Coke will be easy to identify. But the other 2 . . . I'm not so sure if I'll be able to tell the difference.

=R=

• 4 months later...

So the 2-Liters were on sale this week and I decided to give it a whirl.

It definitely tastes closer to regular 7UP than the previous diet 7UP with Nutrasweet did.

I am not sure if it is a problem endemic to the particular 2-Liters they had at this particular supermarket, but I found the stuff needed more carbonation. Maybe its better in cans.

The 7UP Plus stuff is now formulated with Splenda as well, but I haven't opened up that bottle yet.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I just tasted the Island Fruit 7UP Plus, which legally probably can't be called Diet Soda (because it includes Fruit Juice), but which IS relatively low-cal and low carb. The main sweetener is Splenda.

Its VERY good. Not an exaggeration. Just plain excellent. It tastes kind of like a good Champagne Cola.

And FINALLY someone has made a Splenda soda where the sweetness is properly balanced--it's sweet for just a moment but not overly sweet. There's no aftertaste.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I agree, the Island Fruit stuff is excellent. The only thing is, from what I have seen of the 7UP Plus brand, they seem to only keep the flavors around for short periods of time. Sort of like the Sprite Remix concept.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I am a fan of splenda have used splenda a lot in cooking and it has worked wonderfully as a substitute for sugar. When it comes to diet soft drinks though it's another story. Some are okay some are off tasting. Diet Rite Cola uses splenda and is okay by and large. Pepsi One seems okay to me but my wife doesn't like it.

Regular Diet Pepsi to me had absolutely no taste whatsoever. On the other side though, I have recently become a big fan of Diet Pepsi Lime and Diet Pepsi Wild Cherry. These last 2 die pepsi versions taste great. I've never been a fan of the diet stuff but to me these taste every bit as good as the non-diet versions. I don't know if others have had the same experience.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

Right now I'm drinking a Diet Rite "Pure Zero" Black Cherry soda with sucralose (Splenda) and I have to say, it's pretty damn good. I've also tried Diet Coke with Splenda, and it tastes closer to real Coke than the Nutrasweet Diet Coke. My opinion is that (in general) diet soft drinks that use Splenda are superior in taste to those that use Nutrasweet. My sister did her Master's thesis (Chemistry) on aspartame (Nutrasweet). She says, and I quote, "stay away from it". I can provide details if you like ...

• 3 weeks later...

Strangely enough there's now a "Cherry 7-up Plus". Which is odd, since Cherry 7-up still exists as its own product line.

I'd rate Cherry 7-up Plus as better than the Mixed Berry original flavor, but not as good as the Island Fruit.

And I've started seeing individual and 12-can packs, in addition to the ubiquous 1.5 and 2 liter bottles, with all 3 flavors. Usually that's a pretty clear sign that the brand/flavor is succeeding, right?

Oddly enough, back in August it sounds like they were marketing this as real "chick soda" :laugh: See this BevNET article for support: http://www.bevnet.com/news/2005/08-24-2005-7UP.asp

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

7UP has always had a flavor of lemon cleaner to me. I have to admit it, I don't know why, but I prefer Sprite. And Splenda, I've noticed, loses it's sweetness completely when I eat anything with sugar as an accompaniment. Has anyone else noticed this? I rarely drink soda, so I tend to go for it in a glass bottle or a can, anyway. What I really like is Passover Coca Cola in a glass bottle, when you can get it made with sugar instead of corn syrup. Oh, well, I'm off topic, I know. Back to my corner. :wink:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

• 1 month later...

I was really disappointed to taste the Splenda version of Diet 7-Up because it just tasted WAY too sweet to me.

But, this weekend I saw for the first time and purchased a 12-pack of 7-Up Plus Island Fruit and it is really nice. I can taste distinctive Pineapple, Peach and Mango notes in the mix. I think it could make a nice mixer; when deployed judiciously.

=R=

Is Splenda too good to be true.

I put it in my morning coffee and find it as good as white sugar, and much better than 'Equal'.

But some nutritionists warn against it. Does anyone know the down side, other than cost?

• 4 months later...

The last couple of times I have purchased Coke products the Diet Coke with Splenda has been MIA. Anyone know if they are pulling the plug on this? Or are there just too many products now for the stores to stock them all? I like the Splenda version. If I can't find it i'll have to decide which to go with. I may have to go back to regular Coke, as the original Diet Coke, that so many love, I do not like