• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The new Di Bruno Brothers store

Lisa, can I request a cheese course to be assembled? If yes, what is the minimum order to do this?

Our Custom Catering Services department features our cheese in trays with accompanyments starting at $44.95 which is more than enough for 10 people. Our cheese cave, during slow times is more than happy to fulfill any 'cheese to go' request.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

New this week: we've added hot sandwiches, 2 different ones daily, from 12-2. So far I've seen meatball, roast beef, roast pork and sausage with all the fixins - provolone, rabe, long hots, carm onions etc. Yum!

Ooh. I'll bet those'll be gooooooood.

Now that I've got that out of my system - or at least mostly out of my system - Boar's Head franks for $12 a pound.  Geesh.

I did some research because this seemed way out of line to me. We carry 3 kinds of Boar's Head Frank products, ranging in price from $6.99 to $7.99. The franks we have which are indeed $12.99 are Niman Ranch Fearless Franks, made with hormone/antibiotic free beef.

Fearing that senility was once again taking over my special little world, I returned to DiBruno Brothers today to recheck the Boars Head Franks pricing. I think Lisa will back me up on this - the pricing label reads as follows:

16 oz of Boar's Head Franks $6.99

1 pound of Boar's Head Franks $12.??

One of those rare times in life when there are two right answers. :cool:

I also learned that many companies who only deal with direct sales (meaning you can not buy Boar's Head wholesale from any other company) have 'suggested' retail prices that we must adhere to. Petrossian salmon/caviar also operates under the same deal.

I suspect that should be worded a little differently to keep the anti price-fixing government types away.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Indeed, we were both right! The actual price is $6.99 and $7.99. The unit prices on the shelf tags were mislabeled at $12 and $14 per pound. Oops.

Ussingers is getting a call this week.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

lisa, i have two questions:

1. a couple weeks ago in pronto on 9th st, i saw those LU cookies called 'la bastagne', which are my wife's favorite. are you gonna have them in the new store? or i should say, do you guys still carry them at all?

2. what about salt-packed capers and anchovies? they weren't available today--are there plans to have them up here, or are they going to remain only in south philadelphia?

just curious--i'm only posting publicly because why not, other people might be looking for this stuff too.

lisa, i have two questions:

1. a couple weeks ago in pronto on 9th st, i saw those LU cookies called 'la bastagne', which are my wife's favorite.  are you gonna have them in the new store?  or i should say, do you guys still carry them at all?

2. what about salt-packed capers and anchovies?  they weren't available today--are there plans to have them up here, or are they going to remain only in south philadelphia?

just curious--i'm only posting publicly because why not, other people might be looking for this stuff too.

James,

Currently, I have chosen the Bhalsen line of European cookies, which are incredible as are the LU cookies. The L'Ecole cookie from LU is also popular. I feel there would be room for both lines of cookies and will order them within a few weeks. In the meantime, I encourage you to give Bhalsen a try, especially the butter leaves which I could not make better myself - and I'm a pretty good cook/baker.

Salt packed anchovies are indeed available behind our smoked fish counter. Salt packed capers in small jars will be available within 2 weeks. I'm trying to get the real deal from Pantelleria.

Also new this week is varietal apple juice from France: Gala, Braeburn, Granny Smith and Golden Delicious are available in our beverage case. Also popular is 100% blood oj from Sicily and mandarin juice of the same origin.

I'm posting publicly to get you to introduce yourself to me! I think you like being a mystery man...

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

ah... i admit it was the capers i was looking for--the ones you have in the 9th st store in a tub for self-service by all the other stuff in the front. thanks.

i'll introduce myself if i see you--i haven't these last few times i've been there. i think i know who you are from the pics that have been posted here.

• 2 weeks later...

This was my first trip to DiBruno's, as I was in town for the weekend and stayed a block away. It lived up to everything I've heard and more. Husband and I went in about 10:30 and being a Sunday, I was amazed! Everything seemed as fresh and bountiful as a weekday or Saturday. The free sample offerings were plentiful and everyone was so incredibly nice and helpful. It made me miss Philly even more(wipes away a tear and sniffles).

We got some cheeses, a pepper wurst (from the butcher at Rhawn and Oxford) pantry goods(including thier pasta sauce...hope its good) and a hoagie to split before we hit the road back to Va.

We are grilling some burgers and placing some blue cheese/dolce to melt on them when they're done, as recommended. Another amazing pairing shown to us was a goat goulda and candied pecan. Amazing. Of course we got that too!!

Now, if they'd only branch out to N. Va......oh, one can wish!

I'm posting publicly to get you to introduce yourself to me! I think you like being a mystery man...

He's less of a mystery than it seems, and has really cool shoes.

--Sandy, channeling upenn.talk while visiting Boston

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Friends, seek this one out when in DiBruno...

RolfBeeleraffineur-HochyBrig11.jpg

Out of the 10 sample cheeses, this was the one that left an impression that influenced a purchase. I didn't even bother to check if it was raw, or German, or whatever. I immediately thought of a hard mountain cheese, but the spicy finish is different than the Apenzellars and Beauforts I have tried.

You may not like it, but you'll be glad you've tried it.

:angry:  :angry:

waaaahwhaaaahwhaaaah.........in southern ca....... :(

miss philly :(

Don't you ever come back and visit? We're still here and not going anywhere. Consider this an open invitation...

And welcome to eGullet! :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Thanks, Katie~

I haven't been back for years, went to school there from '76-80. I remember how exciting it was to be there during the "Restaurant Rennaisance" with all of the wonderful chef/entrepreneurs coming out of the Restaurant School. Sadly, I heard from Sam Gugino that my favorite old restaurant, Under the Blue Moon in Chestnut Hill, has closed.

I'd love to come back for a visit. Sounds like it just keeps getting better and better !

:biggrin:

Kathy

Friends, seek this one out when in DiBruno...

RolfBeeleraffineur-HochyBrig11.jpg

Out of the 10 sample cheeses, this was the one that left an impression that influenced a purchase. I didn't even bother to check if it was raw, or German, or whatever. I immediately thought of a hard mountain cheese, but the spicy finish is different than the  Apenzellars and Beauforts I have tried.

You may not like it, but you'll be glad you've tried it.

I'm around cheese every day, all day (even though you're more likely to find me slicing prosciutto and explaining the marvels of rauchfleish and pfefferwurst since my transfer from 9th St), but Rolf Beeler's Hoch Ybrig (Swiss, raw, cow, white wine wash) remains my absolute favorite cheese in the new store. Made a fondue with some last year for new year's eve. The next day, I smelled like a lockerroom, but, man, was I happy. I dread the upcoming move to San Diego if only because I won't have Herr Beeler's cheeses so readily at hand.

Matt

Matthew B. Rowley

Rowley's Whiskey Forge, a blog of drinks, food, and the making thereof

Author of Moonshine! (ISBN: 1579906486)

• 3 months later...

Well I had my first visit to this most amazing gourmet emporium last week and I can tell you there ain't anything remotely close to this out here in the suburbs.This store was truly amazing and immediately reminded me of the european cheese shops you see in France and Italy. I loaded up on cheeses I never heard of and, thanks to Capaneous, bought some of the stuff he was kind enough to bring to my last wine tasting.

This isn't just a cheese store as most know but also offers meats, olives many imported canned specialty items and best of all for me, speck. I've been reading cookbooks for yours that call for this wonderfully smoked proscuitto but could never find it locally. It is really sublime.

Anyway, if you haven't been, get there it's well worth the drive and hassle of parking in the city to experience.

Anyway, if you haven't been [to DiBruno's on Chestnut], get there it's well worth the drive and hassle of parking in the city to experience.

DiBruno's certainly is a wonderful store and worth a visit, Jeff, but I'd like to put in my regular two-cents' worth on another institution, and the parking is only $2 for two hours in a garage across the street if you buy $10 worth of stuff: The Reading Terminal Market. While there's a lot of overlap, and both offer items the other doesn't, I think you'll find considerably greater depth and breadth at the RTM. After all, it's just not one store, but dozens.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Anyway, if you haven't been [to DiBruno's on Chestnut], get there it's well worth the drive and hassle of parking in the city to experience.

DiBruno's certainly is a wonderful store and worth a visit, Jeff, but I'd like to put in my regular two-cents' worth on another institution, and the parking is only $2 for two hours in a garage across the street if you buy $10 worth of stuff: The Reading Terminal Market. While there's a lot of overlap, and both offer items the other doesn't, I think you'll find considerably greater depth and breadth at the RTM. After all, it's just not one store, but dozens.

Oh, I am well aware of RTM and go frequently. You are indeed correct about the overlap and the fact RTM offers things DiBruno's can't. I think my idea of a perfect Philly outing is to spend a few hours wandering the RTM around lunch time and deciding if I'll eat another Dinic's roast pork with greens or walk a few blocks to my favorite chinese, Lee How Fook.

Jeff

No one doubts the gastronomic wonders of RTM, and there's a thread here dedicated to it, as you know. Di Bruno's stands alone (as does this thread) and needs no comparison. It's not as though one is better and indeed DB is worthy of a visit all unto it's self.

Let's no split hares here!! :laugh:

No one doubts the gastronomic wonders of RTM, and there's a thread here dedicated to it, as you know. Di Bruno's stands alone  (as does this thread) and needs no comparison. It's not as though one is better and indeed DB is worthy of a visit all unto it's self.

Let's no split hares here!! :laugh:

Can you buy rabbit at DiBruno? :wink: I know where you can :wink::wink:

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Does Di Bruno's carry ricotta di bufala? I ask because I tried some recently and it was freaking amazing. I was shocked, because numero uno, I'd never heard of buffalo cheese other than mozzarella before, and numero due, I'd never had ricotta that was really worth eating by itself before. But this was fantastic: sweet, fluffy, smooth, fruity.

I know that it's available in NYC; if it's available anywhere in Philly, it should be at Di Bruno's. (And if so, you all should go and buy some. Now. Are you at work? Tell them you're going on a break. Or just quit: it's worth it.)

I just had the pleasure of visiting the new DiBruno Bros. store for the opening of the upstairs "Caffe Society" series that DiBruno Bros. and the Book and the Cook are sponsoring. It's an incredible space with a demonstration kitchen, cafe-style seating, plasma video monitors and an excellent sound system. We had about 50 people for a talk and book signing with wine, cheese and other snacks. I could easily see this becoming the place for culinary events in Philly -- there's nothing like it there, or in most cities.

The store itself is impressive -- what a great resource. And situated so close to La Colombe. What else do you need?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Does Di Bruno's carry ricotta di bufala?  I ask because I tried some recently and it was freaking amazing.  I was shocked, because numero uno, I'd never heard of buffalo cheese other than mozzarella before, and numero due, I'd never had ricotta that was really worth eating by itself before.  But this was fantastic: sweet, fluffy, smooth, fruity. 

I know that it's available in NYC; if it's available anywhere in Philly, it should be at Di Bruno's.  (And if so, you all should go and buy some.  Now.  Are you at work?  Tell them you're going on a break.  Or just quit: it's worth it.)

Luckily I happened to be near Campania this week when Andrew told me about this stuff. The next day I bought some right at the "farm". Holy cheez wiz batman! Both the ricotta and the ultra fresh mozzarella are practically indescribably delicious. I can't imagine the fleeting fresh flavor of the ricotta would last the day trip over to the US but if DB's can get I am all over testing the theory.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.