• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The new Di Bruno Brothers store

Wow!! The only word I can think of when I ventured into the new store on Chestnut Street. A fantastic place where you can now get anything italian under one roof. In simplicity, the DiBruno's main store and Pronto on 18th Street have now re-located to 1730-1732 Chestnut Street. But you are only scratching the surface when describing the new store. Inside, you'll find the classic selections of meats, cheeses, oils and other fare of the classic Di Bruno store. You will also find the great prepared foods of Pronto. But inside you'll also find classic desserts courtesy of Termini Bakery. While there, pick up some artisan bread and rolls from the Metropolitan bakery. Deli order a sandwich, a Met roll stuffed with classic Di Bruno meats and cheeses. That Termini cannolli not enough for dessert, then order some Capogiro gelati and La Colombe espresso to finish your meal. Order some custom chocolates courtesy of The Chocolate Truffle to take home. So much now located under one roof, complete with an upstairs dining area where you will also find the Kitchenaide Kitchen Arena (you read that right) for an assortment of cooking demonstrations. Probably some of the best food fare on the planet now under one roof. And for me it will be torture working a mere half block away.

awesome. the sign on the old store said friday, but someone else emailed that it was open today, and i'm going to stop by on my way home.

and really, gbredben, torture? more like a dream come true.

Just fought the crowds and came back and have to say it's something to behold. Finally all of the incredible cheeses, salumi, packaged and prepared food items are properly displayed. That alone would be have been wonderful, but they have managed to add more to their already great selection. The space itself is really beautiful as well. Honestly, I can't even remember what was there before, but they have done a really spectacular job.

They will be open till 8pm on weekdays, a bonus for those of us who work late. (Actually, they are closing early today for a party, but going forward it will be a bonus.)

It's not there yet, but a hot buffet is also coming on the second floor kitchen.

It is a great boost to the neighborhood. Gbredben, I agree with you on the torture. . .but in a really really good way...

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

Are the prices higher than the place in South Philly?

Prices are now comparable at both locations. The 9th Street store's cheese selection was revamped several months back and features a much larger selection of high-end specialty cheeses. Some of the items that used to be at the main store, such as those wonderful homemade cheese spreads, are now more easily found at Pronto up the block.

The new Chestnut Street store is a real showpiece and carries a wider variety of products than the two stores on 18th Street did. It was fun running into Lisa at the opening. And don't worry, Emilio, I'll still do most of my shopping on 9th Street.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Our own Lisa1349 has been a busy girl indeed, what with the store opening and all. Her thoughtful replies and helpful presence has been sorely missed around these parts. Hopefully she can get back to posting soon. :smile:

And I'm making a beeline to the new store sometime tomorrow so I can check out the new digs. Sounds fabulous and I can hardly wait to see it.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Went there this morning and dropped a bunch of coin on cheese, chocolate and anchovies. Great place to nosh on samples, never seen so many in one store!! I'll have to make it a regular stop when I pass through Philly

Went there this morning and dropped a bunch of coin on cheese, chocolate and anchovies.  Great place to nosh on samples, never seen so many in one store!!  I'll have to make it a regular stop when I pass through Philly

Just wait until they get the upstairs floor going! Sit-down restaurant, demonstration kitchen...as I said to both Lisa and Emilio, "Who needs Dean and DeLuca?"

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I've missed having a life but this project has been very rewarding. I don't recall when I've witnessed so many happy people under one roof.

Our grand openng is just the beginning - upstairs opens in about 2 weeks, then there will be KitchenAid demos twice a month, I will do demos with our products and oh, yes we still have leases on 2 locations around the corner... look for things to come. The product lineup is vast and will continue to evolve sublimely.

If you stop by to oogle, I may be running around, but please ask for 'Lisa A'

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

hey lisa, do you know if the new store has "ventresca di tonno", or tuna belly, in jars or cans? I can't find this anywhere locally (only internet) thanks, and congratulations, i know it will be uber-successful!

i stopped by on saturday during the rittenhouse row festival, and it was a mob scene. a few things i saw but didn't buy because the line was too long:

1. fee bros orange bitters and mint bitters

2. underberg!

3. lots of expensive european mineral waters. as i am addicted to expensive european mineral waters, this is a bonus for me.

2. underberg!

Wot's all this, then? Sounds like what destroyed the Titanic. Or a 1970's cartoon superhero.

it's a gentian-based german bitter digestif. comes in a little bitty portion-sized bottle that's covered in brown paper. Here's their website.

So cute! I like the little wrapped bottle, like something a miniature hobo would carry around.

Here's a question: it's alcoholic. Something true of most digestives, of course: Underberg's website claims it's 44% alcohol. That puts it into the high-proof liquor range-- so how, under PA's liquor laws, does DiBruno's get to sell it?

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

i really don't know, but if i had to guess i'd suspect it's the same reason they can carry those ferro-china italian bitters or something--because of some quirk in the law that allows it to be classified as a bitters--something to add to a drink--rather than a drink itself.

So cute!  I like the little wrapped bottle, like something a miniature hobo would carry around.

Here's a question: it's alcoholic.  Something true of most digestives, of course: Underberg's website claims it's 44% alcohol.  That puts it into the high-proof liquor range-- so how, under PA's liquor laws, does DiBruno's get to sell it?

I believe it has to do with any product with alcohol being classified as "potable". Over on the cocktail forum there is a place were Gary Regan talks about this. My grocery store sells vanilla extract and that is full of alcohol

Edited by lancastermike (log)

hey lisa, do you know if the new store has "ventresca di tonno", or tuna belly, in jars or cans? I can't find this anywhere locally (only internet) thanks, and congratulations, i know it will be uber-successful!

We do have Spanish ventresca in a can. We also have Jose Serrat tuna plain and with peppers.

Thanks for all the well-wishes!

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

i stopped by on saturday during the rittenhouse row festival, and it was a mob scene.  a few things i saw but didn't buy because the line was too long:

1. fee bros orange bitters and mint bitters

2. underberg!

3. lots of expensive european mineral waters.  as i am addicted to expensive european mineral waters, this is a bonus for me.

We've added another checkout line today to make 4 registers working hard to get you home to enjoy the goodies.

We've also got the fee peach bitters and use fee syrups at our coffee bar.

Volvic water is on the way to rejoin the ranks of the rest! I'm thrilled the Manhattan Special is moving, I took a chance stocking it mostly as an "I miss NY" thing.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

• 2 weeks later...

Made a quick stop while I was in the area, I parked illegally so my visit unfortunately was rushed. But let me say this, WOW!!!! This place is awesome!!!!

Finally a store where I don't feel I have to compromise to get some lesser alternative. Such a wide variety of cheeses, hams etc all in one place!!!!!! Now all it needs is an aging room for steaks!!!!

Lisa, can I request a cheese course to be assembled? If yes, what is the minimum order to do this?

Can't wait to go back! Makes me want to move back into the city.

Okay. I just spent $40 plus on just under a pound of liverwurst with onions and just over a pound of cheddar cheese. It's on me. I asked for the ultimate cheddar and the cheesemistress offered up a taste of an english cheddar. Very tasty indeed. I ordered a pound. She lopped a chunk off the wheel, weighed it on the scale. I looked at the cost - $25 a pound. egads, but I was trapped. One of these days I will learn to ask cost per pound prior to comitting. Had liverwurst and cheese for lunch. Both were excellent. So I'm not complaining. But $40 plus for liverwurst and cheese. That could buy me a week of barbecue down south. :smile:

Now that I've got that out of my system - or at least mostly out of my system - Boar's Head franks for $12 a pound. Geesh.

Anyhow, the new DiBruno Brothers is something Center City has long needed. The selection and quality are indeed wonderful.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Volvic water is on the way to rejoin the ranks of the rest! I'm thrilled the Manhattan Special is moving, I took a chance stocking it mostly as an "I miss NY" thing.

Volvic's big in NY?

I didn't know. I first saw it in HK.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Volvic's big in NY?

I didn't know. I first saw it in HK.

While Volvic is popular in NY, "Manhattan Special" is a fantastic coffee soda, available all over NY.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

Now that I've got that out of my system - or at least mostly out of my system - Boar's Head franks for $12 a pound.  Geesh.

I did some research because this seemed way out of line to me. We carry 3 kinds of Boar's Head Frank products, ranging in price from $6.99 to $7.99. The franks we have which are indeed $12.99 are Niman Ranch Fearless Franks, made with hormone/antibiotic free beef.

I also learned that many companies who only deal with direct sales (meaning you can not buy Boar's Head wholesale from any other company) have 'suggested' retail prices that we must adhere to. Petrossian salmon/caviar also operates under the same deal.

New this week: we've added hot sandwiches, 2 different ones daily, from 12-2. So far I've seen meatball, roast beef, roast pork and sausage with all the fixins - provolone, rabe, long hots, carm onions etc. Yum!

Lisa K

Lavender Sky