• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Single-malt of the Month?

Msk

I'm looking for a Single Malt of the month clubfor a present. Anyone have any experience with any? I need to buy a present for someone in New York. I also no nothing about Scotch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

"Msk"

Sendscotch.com has a scotch of the month gft, but I'm not sure about a single malt of the month gift.

I'm not a huge scotch fan, but I much prefer blends to single malts. I once attended a Johnny Walker seminar and the speaker compared single malts and blends to a flute solo vs. the whole orchestra. I have a bottle of Johnny Walker Black label and it's a good middlin' blended scotch at a reasonable price. You can obviously pay much, much more for both blends and single malts.

Hopefully a Scotch lover will add some better advice.

Thanks,

Kevin

http://sendscotch.com/

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

• 2 weeks later...

Msk, I do like single malts and have some interest in the subject.

Sorry I know of no single-malt-of-the-month type club, and I believe I might well were there one.

There is a Scotch Malt Whisky Society of America that allows members to purchase special bottlings from a list that is updated every six weeks. And most of those are single malts. But no, there is no method I am aware of to just have a selection sent each month.

People who enjoy single malts generally know what they like and I question whether a club selected bottle-of-the-month club would fly.

But then again I did not buy Amazon stock when it was dirt cheap.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

There is a Single Malt of the Month kind of a club - Unfortunately it is closed to outsiders :)

For eons, we at work have been tasting Single Malts - I had once posted a photo of what I had as a collection of empty boxes of what we tasted, on this site .

anil