• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foams: can I subsitute gelatin powder for sheets?

halloweencat

hey there all and anyone :)

i'd like to make some of the foams in the amuse bouche cookbook...but the recipies as he lists them call for gelatin sheets. between today and tomorrow, i don't think i'm going to acquire sheets. can i substitute gelatin powder? also, if anyone knows of any vegetarian gelatin powder, that would be great.

thanks in advance.

cheers :)

hc

i'd like to make some of the foams in the amuse bouche cookbook...but the recipies as he lists them call for gelatin sheets.  between today and tomorrow, i don't think i'm going to acquire sheets.  can i substitute gelatin powder?  also, if anyone knows of any vegetarian gelatin powder, that would be great.

thanks in advance.

hc

I have done it with recipes from that very book, so I know it will work, but I can't remember the conversion factor off the top of my head.

Andrew

Andrew Riggsby

ariggsby@mail.utexas.edu

Re: gelatin sheets vs powder. I believe they work the same by weight.

General rule of thumb is a quarter ounce per pint of liquid will give you a delicate gel.

What I teach my students is 10 sheets of gelatin is equal to 1 oz. of powder (by weight).

These are two responses I got recently when I asked a similar question.

Bill Russell

i'd like to make some of the foams in the amuse bouche cookbook...but the recipies as he lists them call for gelatin sheets.  between today and tomorrow, i don't think i'm going to acquire sheets.  can i substitute gelatin powder?  also, if anyone knows of any vegetarian gelatin powder, that would be great.

thanks in advance.

hc

unless im very much mistaken i dont think gelatin would meet the criteria for not being vegetarian friendly simply because its is after all gelatin and not a meat or animal byproduct of any kind...but then again ive never looked at the label ingredients..but i am reasonbly certain it would be ok for use by a vegetarian..if im wrong im sure somebody will come along and correct any mistake ive just made

Edited by ladyyoung98 (log)

a recipe is merely a suggestion

Gelatin is most definitely not vegetarian.

On another thread on this subject, I was told that each sheet equals two grams of powder (with 28 grams in an ounce, and 20 grams in a lid).

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

thanks in advance.

hc

unless im very much mistaken i dont think gelatin would meet the criteria for not being vegetarian friendly simply because its is after all gelatin and not a meat or animal byproduct of any kind...but then again ive never looked at the label ingredients..but i am reasonbly certain it would be ok for use by a vegetarian..if im wrong im sure somebody will come along and correct any mistake ive just made

I thought that the source of gelatin was horse hooves. This is what the International Vegetarian Union has to say about gelatin (interestingly enough this is the first hit on Google for Gelatin):

What is gelatin/gelatine? Is there any alternative to it?

Gelatin (US spelling) or gelatine (British spelling) (used to make Jell-o and other desserts) is made from the boiled bones, skins and tendons of animals. An alternative substance is called Agar-Agar, which is derived from seaweed. Another is made from the root of the Kuzu. Agar-Agar is sold in noodle-like strands, in powdered form, or in long blocks, and is usually white-ish in color.

Bill Russell

thanks in advance.

hc

gelatin is made from hooves.

EDIT: cross post with Bill

Double Edit: Cook's thesaurus

Gelatin is made from the bones, skins, hooves, and connective tissue of animals, including pigs,

Library think quest

Bone, Horn, Hooves, & Gelatin

How stuff works

The gelatin you eat in Jell-O comes from the collagen in cow or pig bones, hooves, and connective tissues.

me thinks that gelatin definately contained hooves at one time. perhaps manufacturing processes have changed.

Edited by touaregsand (log)

Weeeeeellll, according to the GMIA (Gelatin Manufacturers Institute of America), horse hooves are made of keratin, the same material as your hair and fingernails. Gelatin cannot be made from keratin.

The raw materials used in the production of gelatin are from healthy animals and include cattle bone, cattle hides and fresh, and frozen pigskins. But I 'spose to a vegetarian it's neither here nor there.

If it's a vegetarian issue, try using pectin instead. It's a fruit carbohydrate.

The basic measurements for gelatin are:

7 grams equals one packet

3 grams equals one teaspoon

2 grams equals one sheet

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

yes, gelatin is non-veg. :)

wow! all these great responses -- thank you all so very much.

my digital scale arrived in the mail today -- beautiful timing.

i wonder if the weight ratios would be the same for agar-agar? we'll see.

many thanks and cheers :)

hc

:laugh: ..... i knew if i made a mistake id hear about it..which makes me glad i mentioned not having checked it out to be sure..but the responses to it were wonderful...however im not so sure i want to use gelatin now that i know exactly what its made from...im not a vegetarain but i can be grossed out...... :laugh:

a recipe is merely a suggestion

If it's a vegetarian issue, try using pectin instead. It's a fruit carbohydrate.

The basic measurements for gelatin are:

7 grams equals one packet

3 grams equals one teaspoon

2 grams equals one sheet

Not sure Pectin would work unless you doing fruit, have seen jellys made with just pectin(Perfect) but there soft not sure it would have the staying power, I've also heard the same about Agar. How often is a substitute better than the orig see Carob thread

All I can say is I use to pick on the vegetarian for eating gelatine she never cared the cheesecake tasted good! I got a recipe that uses 4 sheets(Bronze) I know that I've replaced this with one packet of gelatine that sets a pint, for 1pt of cream, juice of 8 lemons, 4 whites, and 2ib of cheese, hope this helps think 2 sheets sets a pint to jelly that bounces

There is 2 weights of gelatine silver and bronze, If I remember right 20 silver= 1oz, 10 bronze=1oz

Perfection cant be reached, but it can be strived for!