• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montclair Whole Foods

Hi all, my first post...

I called the West Orange Town Hall and they confirmed that Whole Foods will be opening in the no-longer-there Pathmark across from Pal's Cabin. I called Whole Foods and they absolutely confirmed that they are not closing the Montclair store.

There you have it...

petdaycare@aol.com

Hi all, my first post...

I called the West Orange Town Hall and they confirmed that Whole Foods will be opening in the no-longer-there Pathmark across from Pal's Cabin.  I called Whole Foods and they absolutely confirmed that they are not closing the Montclair store.

There you have it...

petdaycare@aol.com

From Egullet May 9 post:

While shopping in the Montclair WF last night, we noticed a large sign posted by the cashiers and the exit: "Whole Foods has NO plans to close the Montclair location, it will be remaining here as will Starbuck's; there are plans for a new WF in West Orange by Pathmark, as well as the potential for a new location in Paramus."

End of story.

Notice the careful phrasing of the sign - "...has no plans..." Typical corporatespeak when they want to say something that could change overnight.

Montclair WF will remain open if they continue to attract enough trade to maintain profits. If they don't, they'll be closed sooner or later.

They are masters at fine-tuning their prices to get the maximum that each location will bear - e.g., the same cut of beef will cost you $1.00 per lb. more in Ridgewood than in Montclair. I'm sure that they'll make every effort to keep the Montclair operation profitable.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845