• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Boqueria challenge / project

HI!

I've thought about a fun idea those from us who live in Barcelona could undertake...

How about taking 30 € to La Boqueria market each and seeing what do we cook out of it? I don't know, I think this might stretch out culinary muscle.

Then we can write the menu each one of us cooked so that everyone else at the forum can have a look. Would anyone be interested in this? How do we go about it --- are everyday, back of the pantry groceries like flour and oil included? What do you reckon?

Just think aloud.

Mar

Middlebrow Catalan gastronomy??????

http://baixagastronomia.blogspot.com/

30 for one person or more? would we do this once, or are you thinking about a monthly thing? Would it be just the Boqueria or any other market, provided we record prices and such?

In principle I think I'm in.

SD

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

I don't know, I was maybe thinking about a menu for two people.

We should definitely list which is stall we got our ingredients from so that anyone trying to replicate it knows where to get their groceries.

I mentioned Boqueria because, much as I love that market, I hardly ever go there and I know I'm missing out on a lot of good stuff, but we could indeed include other markets or shops.

Other fun things we could try:

- Using a stricter budget (like 10 €)

- Developing a theme (seafood, or vegetarian, or traditional, or...)

- Trying to include wine in the challenge.

I don't know, let's see if can get other people interested and we can decide together.

Mar

I always enjoy a visit to the Boqueria market, but as a visitor to Barcelona, I don't have a kitchen. Sometimes, when I'm in the market, I really miss having a kitchen, but the feeling passes as soon as I find a place at a bar or a seat in a restaurant. I would very much enjoy reading about how others shop and cook from their purchases in the market however.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I always enjoy a visit to the Boqueria market, but as a visitor to Barcelona, I don't have a kitchen. Sometimes, when I'm in the market, I really miss having a kitchen, but the feeling passes as soon as I find a place at a bar or a seat in a restaurant. I would very much enjoy reading about how others shop and cook from their purchases in the market however.

Fine Bux, no excuses, next time you're in BCN you can borrow my kitchen. only condition: YOU cook for US :biggrin:

SD

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

This sounds like a great idea. I wish that I could partake. Might I suggest photos of the produce. It would also be interesting to compare to other markets in terms of quality and price.

I hope this takes off. It will be fun to follow.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Fine Bux, no excuses, next time you're in BCN you can borrow my kitchen. only condition: YOU cook for US  :biggrin:

SD

Absolutely, just as soon as I run out of restaurants I have to try. I have focused so much on eating out in the province of Catalunya that I've hardly made a dent in my list of worthwhile Barcelona restaurants. My wife is always suggesting we rent a house somewhere in France or Spain. She keeps telling me that since I enjoy the market so much I would enjoy having a kitchen and I tell her it's enough to know what's in season so I know what to order at the restaurants. One of the things I most value about markets is the chance to put together the names with the foods. This is especially true of the fish and seafood.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Hola eGullet !

Mar Calpena, this is a great idea. Count me in. I'm not much of a chef, but I do shop at the markets and cook on a daily basis. This could be quite a learning experience :biggrin: I've got a few photos of the boqueria that I've taken over the past year. I'd be happy to post some of them if this takes off.

Lets see if we can draw out a couple more people....

I've enlisted my sister, cook extraordinaire, to help. As she is also a mother of two -and therefore, used to making the most of her pennies, she says 30 € is indeed a lot and suggests adding wine to the challenge, but I told her we are still discussing about the whole thing.

If I'm not mistaken, there's three of us interested in taking part in this. We can either choose a date, begin, and see if more people decide to join later or we can move this topic to the Cooking forum or the Adventures in eating one and open it to buying in any market worldwide (but then we ought to choose a theme so that we can compare our results), which might atract others' attention.

Mar

I've enlisted my sister, cook extraordinaire, to help. As she is also a mother of two -and therefore, used to making the most of her pennies, she says 30 € is indeed a lot  and suggests adding wine to the challenge, but I told her we are still discussing about the whole thing.

Mar,

30 is a lot, indeed. In fact, I've been thinking about the idea and I think I can even get as far as a 4-5 course meal for 2 people with that money. Adding wine might be a bit tricky, so I suggest we set a minimum number of courses instead, what do you think?

Not sure how many other BCN residents are in this forum: asola, who's not always around, and then amelia and jordi (artal and bcnchef), both very busy with their restaurant. So it might be just us to start with.

Silly.

Ok, roll call

Silly Disciple

Saborosa

Pepe

Bash

Mar

Next: When, and exactly how? I need to buy a digital camera (I dropped mine on New Year's eve). We can give everyone one month's deadline, so that everyone proceeds at his/her own rythm.

Mar

I can start next week I think. how do we go about it?

sd

how do we go about it?

sd

Sorry if this is a long post, but I'm a journalist by trade, so I tend get off hand when I have a keyboard nearby.

These are some guidelines I would follow (but this OUR project! :wink: so please don't really listen to me)

If we need to, we could divide our posts in three parts:

- Begin by telling us about your buying experience: Tell us why you made the choices you made. Were you buying with a menu or a technique in mind or did something just catch your eye? Did you pick a theme? Did anything interesting happen while you were shopping? When did you buy the ingredients? -you know Saturday afternoon may be cheaper, but there are lots of closed stalls!!!. List how much you spent at everything and where you got it. You can use things you already had at home, provided it's reasonable to assume they will be in any given pantry (I mean stuff like oil, milk, etc... this is an experiment in cooking, not in home economics!). What did you enjoy most? Did you ask the vendors for tips?

- Cooking: Own recipe or putting someone else's to practice? Where did you cook things? How did you organize your time? What was the most difficult thing (cleaning afterwards, maybe?)? List the recipes. What were you trying to achieve in terms of textures and colors? How long did it take you from start to finish? Did you get inspiration from a famous cook?

- Eating. How did you plate and present things? Who were you eating it with? Did anything disappoint you or exceed your expectations? What changes would you make to your menu? If you bought wine, which one was it and how did it match the food? Did you have lunch or dinner? Did you learn anything? What struck you the most? And ABOVE ALL, did you enjoy yourself?

And don't forget that photographs about the whole process are always welcome!

Anyway, just my two (long) cents.

Mar

Edited by Mar Calpena (log)

If this is still on in early June, I (we) might like to join in, if that's possible.

:smile:

Yeah, no problem. How about choosing a deadline? Would Sunday, June 19 be ok with everyone?

Early June being 1st to 6th. :wink:

Don't arrange especially for us, but we'll try and join in if there's anything on then. We are staying very close to La Boqueria, and will doubtless be visiting frequently. Are ther any days better than others?

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

Don't arrange especially for us, but we'll try and join in if there's anything on then. We are staying very close to La Boqueria, and will doubtless be visiting frequently. Are ther any days better than others?

I would recommend going tuesdays and fridays as early in the morning as you can. That way you get fresh stuff and avoid turists.

sd

Yeah, no problem. How about choosing a deadline? Would Sunday, June 19 be ok with everyone?

works for me.

so, each of us has to produce the following:

1. pictures of produce

2. detailed expenses

3. menu (did we agree on at least 4 courses?)

4. recipes?

5. pics of the meal.

agreed?

sd

works for me.

so, each of us has to produce the following:

1. pictures of produce

2. detailed expenses

3. menu (did we agree on at least 4 courses?)

4. recipes?

5. pics of the meal.

agreed?

sd

Yes. If you copy recipes verbatim from a cookbook you may incur in copyright infringment, so just let's just give an overview of them if there's risk of this happening.

It's great to have two more people joining! I'm feeling very curious as to what everyone's going to make...

Mar

Oh, I've finally got it. This isn't Catalan Ready-Steady-Cook, but a bit of homework to get done as and when.

We're definately on.

At least I'm definately on. She (tcm) will prob be on, too.

In fact, we might just compete. Oh yes. :hmmm:

We need more rules. Perhaps I'll just reread those already given. :blink:

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

We need more rules. Perhaps I'll just reread those already given. :blink:

Go ahead and suggest any rules you want to add, Slacker... as long as it makes it more fun, I think we are all in.

And I think I already have my menu.... oh yes... i will keep things under veil for now :biggrin:

SD