• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Joong & Joongzi: The Topic

Hmmm.... dried conpoy.  Great idea!  I have plenty from my last trip to San Francisco.  :smile:

With dried conpoy, make sure you soak them well and shred before using. My s-i-l uses them instead of dried shrimp. She made her batch yesterday - some with half long half sticky rice, some with just sticky rice. She doesn't use as much liu as I do.

I will be making my joong sometime after June 10. My "special joong" table is on display at a Chinese Restaurant Concept display at our art gallery. As with last year, I will use BBQ duck, salty egg yolks, lap cheung, dong goo, Spanish onion, peanuts, chestnuts, dried shrimp meat, salted pork butte...oh...and...some rice. :raz::laugh:

Ah Leung: 30 joong? And you're going to share?! :shock:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

A thousand apologies...have been very busy. I've to make/decorate 4 cakes this week...2 of them sculpted and reasonably complicated ones. I'll start with the wong geong one first. Recipe is paraphrased.

Turmeric Rice Joong with Dried Prawn Sambal

350g glutinous rice, soaked overnight

150g glutinous rice, washed and soaked overnight with 1T freshly-ground turmeric and 1 piece tamarind peel

1 t whole white peppercorns

salt to taste

1/2 C cooking oil

Spice paste ingredients (ground)

100g dried chillies

320g shallots, sliced roughly

300g dried prawns, washed and roughly ground

4-5 T sugar, or to taste

1 t salt, or to taste (if dried prawns are salty, omit this)

dried bamboo leaves, washed and soaked

hemp string

fresh turmeric leaves

1-2 T salt

Drain rice well. Add salt to taste to the white rice. For the yellow rice, remove the tamarind peel, and add the peppercorns and some salt.

Stir-fry the paste ingred in the cooking oil till fragrant and breaking oil. Add ground prawns and season. Cook till quite dry. Set aside.

Makes 12-15 joongs.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Green Tea Joong with Red Bean Filling

For filling:

200g red beans, washed and soaked overnight

2 pandan leaves, knotted

500 ml water

100g sugar

50g rock sugar or to taste

1/4 t salt

500g glutinous rice, washed and soaked for 2 hours

Green tea marinade:

1T green tea powder

1T green tea paste/emulco *

2T cooking oil

1t salt

1T alkaline (lye) water

green coloring (optional)

Bring to boil the red beans, pandan leaves and water. Lower heat and add the sugars and salt. Simmer till soft, occasionally stirring, till the mixture is quite dry. Set aside to cool.

Drain and put rice in a non-reactive bowl. Mix in the marinade and leave for 2 hours.

Makes 15/16 joongs as the size is smaller than the savory ones.

* green tea emulco - don't worry about this. It's very difficult for me to find this too, so I'd leave it out, perhaps instead of 1T of the powder, take 2.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Ketupat-style Joong with Beef Rendang

1/4 C oil

Ground Ingred:

2 stalks lemongrass, thinly sliced

5 kaffir lime leaves, sliced

80g green chillies

20g bird's eye chillies

60g shallots, roughly sliced

60g garlic, roughly sliced

2 t coriander powder

1 t cumin

200 ml coconut milk

1 t sugar, or to taste

1 t salt, or to taste

1/4 C basil leaves

400g beef, cut into 2cm cubes

400g glutinous rice, soaked overnight

100g black-eye beans, washed and soaked for 1 hr

1 t salt

dried bamboo leaves, washed and soaked

hemp strings

1-2 T salt

Stir-fry ground ingred in oil until fragrant. Add coconut milk, sugar and salt, then beef cubes. For a tender rendang, cook over low heat until the mixture is almost dry. Remove from heat and add basil leaves.

For the rice portion, mix well the rice, black-eye beans and salt.

Makes 12 to 15 joongs.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Had my first joong last week, ham yuk joong courtesy of MIL. It was <mumble, mumble, grudgingly saying> very good.

Ah Leung Gaw, can't wait to 'taste' yours...(with our eyes, of course).

gallery_12248_2949_118.jpg

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Had my first joong last week, ham yuk joong courtesy of MIL. It was <mumble, mumble, grudgingly saying> very good.

Ah Leung Gaw, can't wait to 'taste' yours...(with our eyes, of course).

Hmmm... yours does look very good! Slurp! :wub:

I can't guarantee that I will post pictures on mine... :wink:

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Thanks for the very interesting recipes, Tepee! That Tumeric one with the 100g of dried chilies sounds a bit too spicy for me, however. I'll see what types of ingredients are available, and try out one of the recipes if possible. The green tea joong looks promising.

Edited by sheetz (log)

This is a version that I will make! I can get all the ingredients listed. These will be a surprise for Po-PO. :biggrin:

Can I use canned cooked black eye peas or will they break up when boiled with the rice?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

This is a version that I will make! I can get all the ingredients listed. These will be a surprise for Po-PO. :biggrin:

Can I use canned cooked black eye peas or will they break up when boiled with the rice?

Hmm...make sure you go easy on the spice if it's for po-po.

Canned peas? Personally, I've hardly ever used canned peas. Choose the brand which have firmer peas and drain them well, if you must use them.

Post pix and torture Ben-sook more!

I really don't know how I can squeeze making joong in until mid-June. :wink:

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

I found this web page on how to wrap a salty-pork joong (in Chinese, illustrated):

http://www.sc.xinhuanet.com/content/2006-0...ent_7093229.htm

There are a few good points:

1. After soaking the bamboo leaves in water overnight, pour in some hot water before wrapping. This will soften the leaves, make it easier to use them for wrapping.

2. The way the author started with a few bamboo leaves at the bottom to hold the ingredients. I am going to try that.

Tepee Mui: Your MIL's joong looks kind of dark. Do you know when and where she added soy sauce? Did she mix the "liu" with soy sauce, or sprinkle soy sauce on them separately? Was the soaked sticky rice mixed with soy sauce before wrapping?

Cantonese (Hong Kong) wrap the stick rice and liu without soy sauce added. Soy sauce is drizzled on top of the cooked joong after unwrapping when served.

My joong ingredients are all set. Tomorrow night I will start soaking the ingredients for wrapping on Saturday.

Ah Leung Gaw, I'm quite sure she adds the dark soya sauce to the liu during cooking. As for the rice, some people pre-fries the soaked rice with the sauce before using it....not long...just a couple of minutes. KL folks like to add dark sauce to everything, for eg. char kway teow.

Forgot to mention, I'll be at my mom's to make nyonya joong together with her and my SIL on Monday. Going to be great fun!

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Experienced joong makers: how many bamboo leaves do you use to wrap a joong?

1? 2? 3? 4? 5?

I heard of some using 1 leaf. But that's for a very tiny joong.

With the amount of liu I was using, I found it impossible to wrap a joong with 2 leaves. I started by using 3, then I found using 4 was easier. Though I budgeted for 5. Looks like I will have some left-over bamboo leaves. :smile:

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

For the shape and size of the joong that I make, I use 3 leaves. They are not the "pyramid" shapes, but the " new kok - twist-corner" (as Po-Po calls them).

One leaf makes the " yune kok - goat-horn" joong. Po-Po always makes 2 of these. She saves acouple of the largest leaves for these. Don't know if the number has any significance or not. Maybe just because a goat has 2 horns? :rolleyes:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I made my entry last Saturday. I ended up making 40+ joongs. Took me 3 batches. The pot was used non-stop for 8 hours. Imagine the foggy windows at the kitchen... (sounds familiar Dejah Dai Ga Jeah? :biggrin: )

The liu included:

- Mung beans

- Pork butt marinated in five spice powder and soy sauce

- Salted eggs

- Laap cheung (Chinese sausage)

- Chestnuts

- Raw peanuts

- Black mushrooms

- Dried shrimp

- Dried conpoy

I did use a little bit of soy sauce, oil and salt to mix with the soaked sticky rice before wrapping. They didn't turn out as dark as Tepee's MIL's. I poured boiling water into the bin with bamboo leaves already soaked in water overnight to soften the leaves before wrapping. They were pretty soft and easy to work work. My MIL said I should have boiled the leaves in a pot. I don't know if that is really necessary.

P.S.: I am still looking for the perfect way to wrap a joong the size that I want to make. I didn't do a very good job in forming the shape.

gallery_19795_2989_21238.jpg

Joong still in bamboo leave wraps.

gallery_19795_2989_31194.jpg

Joong ready to eat. (I broke it in two halves so everybody can see the fillings.) And a few drops of soy sauce added.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
  • Like 1

Looks good enough to eat, Ah leung. :biggrin:

I think your m-i-l's idea to boil the leaves is based on tradition, and perhaps a little bit of good advice. I know Po-Po always reminds me to boil my leaves, and I always do - with some vinegar in the water. This does make them supple and easy to work with.

Another reason is to prevent mold. These days, the leaves that I buy come in plastic bags and look a lot cleaner than even 3 years ago. Perhaps in the past, especially without refridgeration and freezers, whatever was on the leaves , if not boiled, may have caused mold on the joong. It would be disheartening to find a big batch spoiled if not eaten right away.

I know it's a time consuming step and can be messy, but I for one, am not going to tempt fate, even with a freezer!

For your next batch, Ah leung, use a lighter gauge string and try to spread the string out more evenly over the package. Yours actually look like the ones I "used to make". :wink::laugh: Check out my webpages for reference.

I would also suggest using just mung beans and peanuts, or chestnuts and peanuts, or just one of the three. I find they are too "similar but different". All of these and so many other ingredients may affect the shape of your joong.

Who once said "Wah! So much liu!" when they saw my joong?! :blink::laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

*Sighhhh* :wub:  :wub:

:laugh::laugh: Ben Sook :laugh::laugh:

You too can make these. Can't use the excue that you're the only one who'd eat these in the family. You can always freeze some for your hunting forays.

Today is ng gyut dat ( 5th day of the fifth month celebration), coinciding with Dragon Boat festival. We all ate joong for lunch after Po-Po "by jaw sun".

Now, I am steaming the second of two Mah Lai Goh for a BBQ with our university ESL students. That'll do instead of joong because I haven't made mine yet!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I made a small batch yesterday, basically the same as Ah Leung's except no chestnuts (couldn't find any) and no soy sauce. Although I don't have a lot of experience making joong these were the best I've ever made. I definitely want to try one of Tepee's alternative versions now that I've essentially mastered the basic version.

Today is ng gyut dat ( 5th day of the fifth month celebration), coinciding with Dragon Boat festival. We all ate joong for lunch after Po-Po "by jaw sun".

Coinciding? 5th day of fifth month (lunar calendar) = Tuen Ng Geet [Cantonese]. It *is* the Dragon Boat Festival (Hong Kong's translation). :smile:

Coinciding? 5th day of fifth month (lunar calendar) = Tuen Ng Geet [Cantonese]. It *is* the Dragon Boat Festival (Hong Kong's translation). :smile:

You are correct. What was I thinking?! :wacko:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I found a very good web page (produced in Taiwan) that shows how to wrap a joong. The page is written in Chinese. Click on the link at the upper left corner to view the video (about 7 minutes I think). The video was narrated in both Mandarin and English.

They wrap a small joong with only 2 leaves, but form a perfect tetrahedron shape. Perhaps I should do that next year.

http://edu.ocac.gov.tw/culture/chinese/cul...ml/vod14_09.htm

• 1 year later...

If I wanted to make joong or nor mai gai, but I couldn't get bamboo leaves, banana leaves, or lotus leaves, what could I use instead? Could I use parchment paper?

My mother wants to add this project to the siu bao project we're going to be tackling when she comes. She went to a class (taught by Kathy Man--Manitobans may know who she is) and now she's eager to make them at home (or rather, she's eager for me to make them in my home). Kathy suggested using a custard cup and steaming the product with the cup covered with aluminium foil, then turning it over to serve. Actually, she suggested using aluminium foil, first, but all the Asians in the room (there were only two, I think) cringed at that idea. I'd like to use some sort of wrapper, but am a bit stuck. Any ideas?

• Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      Clam Soup with Mustard Greens - 车螺芥菜汤

This is a popular, light but peppery soup available in most restaurants here (even if its not listed on the menu). Also, very easy to make at home.

Ingredients

Clams. (around 8 to 10 per person. Some restaurants are stingy with the clams, but I like to be more generous). Fresh live clams are always used in China, but if, not available, I suppose frozen clams could be used. Not canned. The most common clams here are relatively small. Littleneck clams may be a good substitute in terms of size.

Stock. Chicken, fish or clam stock are preferable. Stock made from cubes or bouillon powder is acceptable, although fresh is always best.

Mustard Greens. (There are various types of mustard green. Those used here are  芥菜 , Mandarin: jiè cài; Cantonese: gai choy). Use a good handful per person. Remove the thick stems, to be used in another dish.)

Garlic. (to taste)

Chile. (One or two fresh hot red chiles are optional).

Salt.

MSG (optional). If you have used a stock cube or bouillon powder for the stock, omit the MSG. The cubes and power already have enough.

White pepper (freshly ground. I recommend adding what you consider to be slightly too much pepper, then adding half that again. The soup should be peppery, although of course everything is variable to taste.)

Method

Bring your stock to a boil. Add salt to taste along with MSG if using.

Finely chop the garlic and chile if using. Add to stock and simmer for about five minutes.

Make sure all the clams are tightly closed, discarding any which are open - they are dead and should not be eaten.

The clams will begin to pop open fairly quickly. Remove the open ones as quickly as possible and keep to one side while the others catch up. One or two clams may never open. These should also be discarded. When you have all the clams fished out of the boiling stock, roughly the tear the mustard leaves in two and drop them into the stock. Simmer for one minute. Put all the clams back into the stock and when it comes back to the boil, take off the heat and serve.
    • By liuzhou
      Stir-fried Squid with Snow Peas - 荷兰豆鱿鱼

Another popular restaurant dish that can easily be made at home. The only difficult part (and it's really not that difficult) is preparing the squid. However, your seafood purveyor should be able to do that for you. I have given details below.

Ingredients

Fresh squid. I tend to prefer the smaller squid in which case I allow one or two squid per person, depending on what other dishes I'm serving. You could use whole frozen squid if fresh is unavailable. Certainly not dried squid.

Snow peas aka Mange Tout. Sugar snap peas can also be used. The final dish should be around 50% squid and 50% peas, so an amount roughly equivalent to the squid in bulk is what you are looking for. De-string if necessary and cut in half width-wise.

Cooking oil. I use rice bran oil, but any vegetable cooking oil is fine. Not olive oil, though.

Garlic.  I prefer this dish to be rather garlicky so I use one clove or more per squid. Adjust to your preference.

Ginger. An amount equivalent to that of garlic.

Red Chile. One or two small hot red chiles.

Shaoxing wine. See method. Note: Unlike elsewhere, Shaoxing wine sold in N. America is salted. So, cut back on adding salt if using American sourced Shaoxing.

Oyster sauce

Sesame oil (optional)

Salt

Preparing the squid

The squid should be cleaned and the tentacles and innards pulled out and set aside while you deal with the tubular body. Remove the internal cartilage / bone along with any remaining innards. With a sharp knife remove the "wings" then slit open the tube by sliding your knife inside and cutting down one side. Open out the now butterflied body. Remove the reddish skin (It is edible, but removing it makes for a nicer presentation. It peels off easily.) Again, using the sharp knife cut score marks on the inside at 1/8th of an inch intervals being careful not to cut all the way through. Then repeat at right angles to the original scoring, to give a cross-hatch effect. Do the same to the squid wings. Cut the body into rectangles roughly the size of a large postage stamp.

Separate the tentacles from the innards by feeling for the beak, a hard growth just above the tentacles and at the start of the animal's digestive tract. Dispose of all but the tentacles. If they are long, half them.
      Wash all the squid meat again.
      Method
      There are only two ways to cook squid and have it remain edible. Long slow cooking (an hour or more) or very rapid (a few seconds) then served immediately. Anything else and you'll be chewing on rubber. So that is why I am stir frying it. Few restaurants get this right, so I mainly eat it at home.

Heat your wok and add oil. Have a cup of water to the side. Add the garlic, ginger and chile. Should you think it's about to burn, throw in a little of that water. It will evaporate almost immediately but slow down some of the heat.

As soon as you can smell the fragrance of the garlic and ginger, add the peas and salt and toss until the peas are nearly cooked (Try a piece to see!). Almost finally, add the squid with a tablespoon of the Shaoxing and about the same of oyster sauce. Do not attempt to add the oyster sauce straight from the bottle. The chances of the whole bottle emptying into your dinner is high! Believe me. I've been there!

The squid will curl up and turn opaque in seconds. It's cooked. Sprinkle with a teaspoon of so of sesame oil (if used) and serve immediately!

• By liuzhou
      Big Plate Chicken - 大盘鸡

This very filling dish of chicken and potato stew is from Xinjiang province in China's far west, although it is said to have been invented by a visitor from Sichuan. In recent years, it has become popular in cities across China, where it is made using a whole chicken which is chopped, with skin and on the bone, into small pieces suitable for easy chopstick handling. If you want to go that way, any Asian market should be able to chop the bird for you. Otherwise you may use boneless chicken thighs instead.

Ingredients

Boneless skinless chicken thighs  6

Light soy sauce

Dark soy sauce

Shaoxing wine

Cornstarch or similar. I use potato starch.

Vegetable oil (not olive oil)

Star anise, 4

Cinnamon, 1 stick

Bay leaves, 5 or 6

Fresh ginger, 6 coin sized slices

Garlic.  5 cloves, roughly chopped

Sichuan peppercorns,  1 tablespoon

Whole dried red chiles,   6 -10  (optional). If you can source the Sichuan chiles known as Facing Heaven Chiles, so much the better.

Potatoes 2 or 3 medium sized. peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces

Carrot. 1,  thinly sliced

Dried wheat noodles.  8 oz. Traditionally, these would be a long, flat thick variety. I've use Italian tagliatelle successfully.    

Red bell pepper. 1 cut into chunks

Green bell pepper, 1 cut into chunks

Salt

Scallion, 2 sliced.

Method

First, cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and marinate in 1 1/2 teaspoons light soy sauce, 3 teaspoons of Shaoxing and 1 1/2 teaspoons of cornstarch. Set aside for about twenty minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.

Heat the wok and add three tablespoons cooking oil. Add the ginger, garlic, star anise, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, Sichuan peppercorns and chiles. Fry on a low heat for a  minute or so. If they look about to burn, splash a little water into your wok. This will lower the temperature slightly. Add the chicken and turn up the heat. Continue frying until the meat is nicely seared, then add the potatoes and carrots. Stir fry a minute more then add 2 teaspoons of the dark soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of the light soy sauce and 2 tablespoons of the Shaoxing wine along with 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium. Cover and cook for around 15 minutes until the potatoes are done.

While the main dish is cooking, cook the noodles separately according to the packet instructions.  Reserve  some of the noodle cooking water and drain.

When the chicken and potatoes are done, you may add a little of the noodle water if the dish appears on the dry side. It should be saucy, but not soupy. Add the bell peppers and cook for three to four minutes more. Add scallions. Check seasoning and add some salt if it needs it. It may not due to the soy sauce and Shaoxing.

Serve on a large plate for everyone to help themselves from. Plate the noodles first, then cover with the meat and potato. Enjoy.

• By liuzhou
      Beef with Bitter Melon - 牛肉苦瓜

The name may be off-putting to many people, but Chinese people do have an appreciation for bitter tastes and anyway, modern cultivars of this gourd are less bitter than in the past. Also, depending on how it's cooked, the bitterness can be mitigated.

I'll admit that I wasn't sure at first, but have grown to love it.

Note: "Beef with Bitter Melon (牛肉苦瓜 )" or "Bitter Melon with Beef (苦瓜牛肉)"? One Liuzhou restaurant I know has both on its menu! In Chinese, the ingredient listed first is the one there is most of, so, "beef with bitter melon" is mainly beef, whereas "bitter melon with beef" is much more a vegetable dish with just a little beef. This recipe is for the beefier version. To make the other version, just half the amount of beef and double the amount of melon.

Ingredients

Beef. One pound. Flank steak works best. Slice thinly against the grain.

Bitter Melon. Half a melon. You can use the other half in a soup or other dish. Often available in Indian markets or supermarkets.

Salted Black Beans. One tablespoon. Available in packets from Asian markets and supermarkets, these are salted, fermented black soy beans. They are used as the basis for 'black bean sauce', but we are going to be making our own sauce!

Garlic. 6 cloves

Cooking oil. Any vegetable oil except olive oil

Shaoxing wine. See method

Light soy sauce. One tablespoon

Dark soy sauce. One teaspoon

White pepper. See method
      Sesame oil. See method

Method

Marinate the beef in a 1/2 tablespoon of light soy sauce with a splash of Shaoxing wine along with a teaspoon or so of cornstarch or similar (I use potato starch). Stir well and leave for 15-30 minutes.

Cut the melon(s) in half lengthwise and, using a teaspoon, scrape out all the seeds and pith. The more pith you remove, the less bitter the dish will be. Cut the melon into crescents about 1/8th inch wide.

Rinse the black beans and drain. Crush them with the blade of your knife, then chop finely. Finely chop the garlic.

Stir fry the meat in a tablespoon of oil over a high heat until done. This should take less than a minute. Remove and set aside.

Add another tablespoon of oil and reduce heat to medium. fry the garlic and black beans until fragrant then add the bitter melon. Continue frying until the melon softens. then add a tablespoon of Shaoxing wine and soy sauces. Finally sprinkle on white pepper to taste along with a splash of sesame oil. Return the meat to the pan and mix everything well.

Note: If you prefer the dish more saucy, you can add a tablespoon or so of water with the soy sauces.
      Serve with plained rice and a stir-fried green vegetable of choice.

• By liuzhou
      For the last several years Cindy's* job has been to look after me. She takes care of my residence papers, my health insurance, my travel, my housing and associated repairs. She makes sure that I am supplied with sufficient cold beer at official banquets. And she does it all with terrific efficiency and great humour.

This weekend she held her wedding banquet.

Unlike in the west, this isn't held immediately after the marriage is formalised. In fact, she was legally married months ago. But the banquet is the symbolic, public declaration and not the soul-less civil servant stamping of papers that the legal part entails.

So tonight, along with a few hundred other people, I rolled up to a local hotel at the appointed time. In my pocket was my 'hong bao' or red envelope in which I had deposited a suitable cash gift. That is the Chinese wedding gift protocol. You don't get 12 pop-up toasters here.

I handed it over, then settled down, at a table with colleagues, to a 17 or 18 course dinner.

Before we started, I spotted this red bedecked jar. Shaking, poking and sniffing revealed nothing.

A few minutes later, a waitress turned up and opened and emptied the jar into a serving dish. Spicy pickled vegetables. Very vinegary, very hot, and very addictive. Allegedly pickled on the premises, this was just to amuse us as we waited for the real stuff to arrive.

Then the serious stuff arrived. When I said 17 courses, I really meant 17 dishes. Chinese cuisine doesn't really do courses. Every thing is served at roughly the same time. But we had:

Quail soup which I neglected to photograph.

Roast duck

Braised turtle

Sticky rice with beef (the beef is lurking underneath)

Steamed chicken

Spicy, crispy shell-on prawns.

Steamed pork belly slices with sliced taro

Spicy squid

Noodles

Chinese Charcuterie (including ducks jaws (left) and duck hearts (right))

Mixed vegetables

Fish

Cakes

Fertility soup! This allegedly increases your fertility and ensures the first born (in China, only born) is a son. Why they are serving to me is anyone's guess. It would make more sense for the happy couple to drink the lot.

Greenery

Jiaozi

There was a final serving of quartered oranges, but I guess you have seen pictures of oranges before.

The happy couple. I wish them well.

*Cindy is the English name she has adopted. Her Chinese name is more than usually difficult to pronounce. Many Chinese friends consider it a real tongue-twister.