• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Most Exciting Thing in Your Fridge

Grub

A 10 year olf bottle of "Dave's Insanity" sauce that I continue to use 1 tsp per batch of spaghetti sauce and it's still "Insanely" hot.

I love that stuff! My bottle is about the same age and I still have half left! I add one drop to dishes and they are still too hot! Now that I have a little baby, I have to be REALLY carefull with how I use it.

BTW, did you know that bear spray (the kind used to scare off big bad bears) is food grade pepper? Haven't tried it on any dishes but it would make an interesting addition to someone's menue. :wink:

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

Big duck eggs and a tub of freshly rendered duck fat from local Cowichan Bay Farm. I'm so excited I just can't hide it! I'm about to lose control ..... never mind. That song has been in my head all morning.

s

It's not scary, exactly, but exciting certainly: a bunch of fat squeaky green St Enedoc (ie local) asparagus that was cut in the field this morning.  How long till supper?

Me too, but from my local area, the label has on it 'No Air Miles'

gallery_15762_1137_152562.jpg

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

Um... my bachelorette party was last weekend... and I have a big bowl of "anatomically correct" pasta salad in there.  :shock:

I have seen this anatomically corect pasta here from a store that sells Italian products. There's a big bin of it right there in line with the rest of the pastas along one wall. I was considering serving it without comment to colleagues of my husband, which we receive by obligation from time to time, pretending I don't realize the shape, chatting about how great the pasta is from this Italian shop, to see if they can keep a straight face.

Um... my bachelorette party was last weekend... and I have a big bowl of "anatomically correct" pasta salad in there.   :shock:

I have seen this anatomically corect pasta here from a store that sells Italian products. There's a big bin of it right there in line with the rest of the pastas along one wall. I was considering serving it without comment to colleagues of my husband, which we receive by obligation from time to time, pretending I don't realize the shape, chatting about how great the pasta is from this Italian shop, to see if they can keep a straight face.

PLEASE tell us how that turns out!! Hidden camera shots would be appreciated.

A huge box of dates someone sent me from Oman.

Oh man oh man, that is the most exciting thing that's NOT in my fridge. I became addicted to dates during many trips to Saudi Arabia in a previous job, and the dried-up cylinders of dung that pass for same here in the States have now become... well, dried-up cylinders of dung.

May we see photos to enable more viscous drooling, please? Shoukran.

I'm glad someone else shares my obsession.

Although I can usually find pretty good medjool dates here in the U.S.

These were sent by a friend who knows nothing about dates but knows I love them, so they are actually the small extremely sweet ones. Not always my choice, but good nonetheless. My love of dates is so known that people often bring them to me so I think I have collected about every use for dates in recipes like pilafs, appetizers, ways of stuffing them, baking, date pastes, etc.

I'll try and get a picture tomorrow. Afwan.

My love of dates is so known that people often bring them to me so I think I have collected about every use for dates in recipes like pilafs, appetizers, ways of stuffing them, baking, date pastes, etc.

Then, of course, there is stuffing them into your face with wild abandon. When I'm really in the mood, I get myself some green coffee beans and cardamom and make a batch of Saudi coffee to have with them....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Hot pickled Califlower, that's yellow for some reason, it comes that way and a jar of pepper shooters.

Oh great now I've opened the Jars....Thanks Guys :shock::wub:

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren