• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Most Exciting Thing in Your Fridge

Grub

Maybe "exciting" isn't the right word -- weird, bizarre, or revolting would do, I'm sure.

gallery_28832_1138_15761.jpg

I actually like Brussels sprouts... But "Spicy Dill Pickled," "Gourmet 'Atomic,'" "Extra Hot" Brussel Sprouts -- now, that I don't know about -- even if they are Fat Free.

A 10 year olf bottle of "Dave's Insanity" sauce that I continue to use 1 tsp per batch of spaghetti sauce and it's still "Insanely" hot.

Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?

Lisa: No.

Homer: Ham?

Lisa: No.

Homer: Pork chops?

Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.

Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal. (The Simpsons)

Two batches of my mom's lefse. Maybe there is some norwegian in me that we don't know about because all us kids find it exciting.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

1 gallon of pho base (beef stock simmered with herbs and the usual stuff)

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

I find myself unaccountably yet inextricably absorbed by the little ceramic jar of fermented (aka "preserved") bean curd sitting on the top shelf. A few days ago, I transformed a pile of yard beans with one small square, and my mind wanders frequently to other foodstuffs that might accommodate the same treatment wonderfully....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

It's not scary, exactly, but exciting certainly: a bunch of fat squeaky green St Enedoc (ie local) asparagus that was cut in the field this morning. How long till supper?

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

A HALF FULL JAR OF DULCE DE LECHE THAT I SPREAD BETWEEN PECAN SHORTBREAD COOKIES.  I FIGURE IN A WEEK OR SO, I'LL SPREAD IT ON A PEANUT BUTTER SANDWICH

In a week or so you will still have dulce de leche left? From the same jar?

Woooow. notworthy.gif

Just went shopping yesterday and had some time to cook today. Here are two pix of the contents of my fridge.

DSC00929.JPG

Top shelf has some excitement on the right hand side. Several bottles of homebrewed beer. Yum. Middle shelf has cowboy cookie dough. Bottom shelf has tomato sauce and hummus I made for the lady to take to work.

DSC00930.JPG

Exciting times in the butter compartment on the top right. I put my cheeses in there. Right now, a cave aged gruyere, vella dry jack, morbier... The door has some Franks Red Hot, a bottle of french wine...

Edited by ohmyganache (log)

Stephen W.

Pastry Chef/Owner

The Sweet Life Bakery

Vineland, NJ

The days where all I had in my fridge was beer and mustard are long gone, now I have, in my freezer, rabbit heart and lungs... Maybe not that weird, but certainly exciting.

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

The jar of "cheater pickles" I made this afternoon. They are the kind our neighbor made when I was growing up---my Mother was a pickle-maker of the first echelon, with Grace Church, Lime, Dill, Dill Vegetables, Four-Day, Kosher Dill, and Sweet Gherkins all in her repertoire. Mother looked down on all pretend-picklers with a distaste reserved for people who lived above their means and put on airs in church.

But I LOVED those little pickle slices from the store-bought jar, dished out by the kind woman next door. She bought a big jar of dill slices, drained the juice into another jar for making salad dressing, and filled the jar with cup after cup of dry sugar, as much as the jar would hold. She threw in a few cloves and a couple of dried allspice berries, shook the jar within an inch of its life, and stuck it in the fridge for ten days. That was the exact recipe: "Ten days and it's ready t'eat." A shake from time to time to redistribute the juices and above-water slices was all it needed to turn into the most delicious, crispiest, clear little slices in all pickledom. I crunched every slice she parted with, sticky juices running down toward my grubby elbows, and sought her help in getting my telltale face clean.

I thought about them last night when I was making another crave: super-sharp pimiento cheese. So today, I went and bought a jar of cheap dill slices, poured in way too much sugar and rattled in a couple of spices. I shook it, upended it a few times, snugged it away in the cool.

Can't wait for next weekend, though I suspect I'll be sneaking a few cheat-bites before bedtime. :wub:

A huge box of dates someone sent me from Oman.

Oh man oh man, that is the most exciting thing that's NOT in my fridge. I became addicted to dates during many trips to Saudi Arabia in a previous job, and the dried-up cylinders of dung that pass for same here in the States have now become... well, dried-up cylinders of dung.

May we see photos to enable more viscous drooling, please? Shoukran.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Does my bubbling pot of sour dough count? Apart from that it just got normal bits and a Grape and dried fruit chutney cooling/maturing though that got some time to go yet. The old parmesan now sits in cheese biscuits on the side with the sour dough sundried tomatoe and Basil loaf.

Stef

Edited by PassionateChefsDie (log)
Perfection cant be reached, but it can be strived for!