• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mother's Day

I worked from OpenTable.com. They highlighted some local establishments, but I also looked at the web sites of places I was considering (only some of which spelled out their specific plans).

In the end, we decided to try David Greggory. We had a nice dinner there not too long ago, and the menu seemed like a good middle-of-the-road (e.g., not a $70 brunch, not dining at Austin Grill either) option.

Of course, at the moment I am blanking on what the price was...or if a la carte was also an option. Must drink more coffee.

A few years ago, I rebelled against the “Traditional” Mother’s Day our family observed. It mainly amounted to just another get-together dinner at my moms house with the usual cooking and cleaning up.

It’s Mother’s Day darn it and I am not going to work for it!

I created my own tradition which my husband and kids enjoy too, and my mother, sisters and whoever else is always welcome to come.

I pick a historic house on Galveston Island to tour, take the Treasure Island tram tour, walk up and down the Strand looking in all the shop windows, stroll on the seawall and have a lovely late seafood lunch at Gaido’s.

Out of the house all day, out of sight of the piled up laundry and dust bunnies!

I think this year we might do a picnic. Here is the plan I sent to my sisters earlier today.

Treasure Isle Tour Train

Enjoy a 1 ½ hour, 17 mile narrated tour around the Island City on the Galveston Sightseeing Train!

This fun ride covers both Old and New Galveston - including Seawall Boulevard, the remains of Fort Crockett, historic homes, Rosenberg Library, churches, the downtown business district, the shrimp fleet, Jean Lafitte's home, Moody Mansion, the Bishop's Palace, Ashton Villa, the Strand Historic District, the University of Texas Medical Branch, and dozens of other places of interests.

Treasure Island Tour Train is the Island's oldest operating tour train, established in 1962. Special group tours are available.

Special group tours available anytime.

and 3:30pm

The Bishop's Palace

1402 Broadway

This ornate building was begun in 1886 and completed in 1893, at a cost of $250,000. The building was originally home to the family of Walter Gresham, a former Confederate colonel and U.S. Congressman. The Catholic diocese owned the structure from the 1920s to middle 1950s. The palace is ranked among the top 100 homes in the nation for its architectural significance, and features woodwork of rosewood, satinwood and white mahogany, and various fireplaces from all over the world. The mantle in the front ballroom won first prize at the Philadelphia World's Fair in 1876. Tours offered every ½ hour. Gift shop on premises.

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

Taking Mom for a picnic in the National Arboretum, with cheese, fruit, wine, and a crab-avocado pressed sandwich thingy. Brunch in a restaurant on Mother's Day just leaves me disappointed and cranky.

I will be sitting on my ass eating bon-bons and guzzling a bottle of wine while my darling husband and children prepare my meal. :laugh: No idea what's planned, but if it's steak that's great.

My MIL will be here, so maybe two bottles of wine. :wink:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

We will be dining Chez Garcon de Bus; most likely on oeufs Benedict, in honor of the new Pope :wink:; pommes persillade and something bubbly.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Here's the list from Open Table; surprised that Ardeo's not doing anything special, their Easter brunch was delicious. Suppose you can go there even if they're not advertising "Mother's Day." Brunch entrees are between $10 and $15 if I remember right, and a good mix of savory (burger) and sweet (French toast.)

Corduroy's doing three courses for $40/person; Cafe Atlantico's doing three for $25. (Wow, is that right? Well, that's what the site says!)

Oh, shoot, I just realized my boyfriend's mom will still be in town Sunday. I guess I'm in the market for brunch suggestions now too!

Edited to add: David Greggory is a buffet, $42.

Edited again because: I just scored serious points for thinking of this before my boyfriend did. Sweet! 3 for Ardeo. The only downside of their Easter brunch was the required three-course thing, because following up French toast with bread pudding is just wrong. Delicious, but wrong.

Edited by jm chen (log)

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

Ah, it seems Ardeo is having an event but didn't choose to advertise it through OpenTable. According to their website, it's 3 courses, $32pp, children a la carte. Here's the menu:

APPETIZERS

CHILLED ENGLISH PEA SOUP

- Lobster Creme Fraiche

CRISPY CALAMARI

Harissa Aioli

DUNGENESS CRAB & AVACADO SALAD

- Red Pepper Jus & Micro Greens

POACHED ASPARAGUS SALAD

- Marinated Goat Cheese, Young Greens and Hazelnut Dressing

SEASONAL FRUIT & BERRIES

Organic Yogurt and Granola

MARKET GREENS SALAD WITH FRESH HERBS