• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ron Matusalem Añejo Vs. Gran Reserva

OK, thanks to a friend I can now compare the two.  I really don't know how Añejo the Cuban bottle is, but it is 750ml, and has Cuba on the bottom of the bottle.

Añejo (Cuban) has a rich, sugar cane alcohol taste, with a certain amount of caramel flavour, with a wonderful aroma.

http://www.matusalem.com/Spirit/gran.html is supposed to be 15 years old? according to one web liquor store I looked at.

Haagen Daz makes a Baileys Irish Cream Ice Cream.  That's what the aroma smelled and the rum tasted like, with lot's on vanilla as well.  Not enough to turn your stomach, like Myers does, but a little much.

This was completley different from the bottle, which admittedly may have been fake, a friend bought in Costa Rica for $10.  But, I enjoyed it...

Do I like them?  Well, I like the Cuban, but, for the price wouldn't buy either again. :confused:

Greetings BPC,

Long time no speak.  Since the site went down a while back I have not been back.  I'm glad to see that you are still here and still posting controversial Cuban topics.

I have tasted both the Grand Reserva (Distilled in St-Croix and bottled in Miami) and the Anejo Superior (Cuba).  I do like the Grand Reserva, but find it is a little too smooth with little character.  Besides that, it has no bad qualities and is a joy to drink.  However, the Cuban Anejo Superior is among my top 5 rums along with Pyratt X.O., Pampero Anniversario, Appleton 21 YO and Cruzan Single Barrel.

Cheers

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

James A. Michener - Caribbean