• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

B.C. Bar / Pub Food

I lived in England for a bit - my "local" was the Boater on Great Pultney Street in Bath - not only did they have all sorts of interesting munchies at the bar and a full on proper dinner menu but if you brought your dog in they could sit on a stool and drink beer and chips out of one of those ridiculously large plastic ashtrays.

So after my few years in England I've always been on the lookout in B.C. for good bars / pubs - with my prowess in the field of drinking I can assure you that I've no problem getting myself loaded but when one gets to that point of no return one's priorites tend to turn to food - or rather, pub grub.

Today I was at my Nanaimo local pub - I was a few beers in and decided it was important to eat something as I had to relate with my family later on at my "real dinner" - it turned out that it had to be my old "go to" of Hot Wings - $7.95 for 9 measley wings deep fried and sloshed in Frank's Red Hot - I just should have ordered a couple shots of tequila and pretended that I was eating something.

My best bar food memory is of the old Westin Bayshore Lounge in the late 80's and of course the smoked tuna wrapped scallops at the Wick's "On the Rocks" Lounge - where and what might be your favorite bar / pub / lounge snack in this great province?

Edited by paul mitchell (log)

BC pub grub is poor! Where are the pork scratchings? But i would say that, i'm a retard after all. Paul i did a stint at Lettonie, sad to see the demise of that place. Hope you had the opportunity to enjoy. Oh the ashtrays are larger because you don't have to empty them as frequently as smaller ones, just as you don't have to tip some retard who gets your order wrong...but nice jugs!

I don't know what you consider to be pub food - but I was in a pub in Victoria in November (I can't recall the name... but it had Dog in it I think) and had the best Prime Rib I think I've ever had. $12.95 and it came with Yorkie Pudding, about 2 lbs. of roasted potatoes and a pile of cooked veg.

(I can't recall the name... but it had Dog in it I think)

Waddling Dog? The Beagle?

Pam, you should have called me, I could have steered you a little closer to town.

My favourite "pub" grub, is Ferris' for sweet potato fries, just that little bit of peanut oil and the sweetness of the yam, sticks to your ribs after a few formidable martinis.

And gratefully, nothing Ye Olde or Jolly Olde about Ferris', just urban neighbourhood.

The new contender is the Irish Times, wonderful small booth known as the confession booth, where you can turn down the fiddle music with your own control panel and commune with the bartender by waving your hand out the tiny cut-out window. Love that little place.

Food - usual fare, fried this and that. Actually the oysters are good and a bit of stodge in the way of guinness laced beef stew.

We still need good bar seating in Victoria. The kind where you don't feel like you are in a holding pattern for a table. Somewhere comfortable, that invites casual dining.

s

(I can't recall the name... but it had Dog in it I think)

Waddling Dog? The Beagle?

Pam, you should have called me, I could have steered you a little closer to town.

It may have been The Beagle? I'm not really sure. It was located near my Great-Aunt's - my mother and I were visiting her for a couple days after a business trip to Vancouver. For a Winnipeger, the 1/2 hour - 45 minute walk (we were staying in a condo near Rebar) on a lovely November evening was beautiful - and the meal was great, though that could have been partly due to the company.

If I get back to your jewel of a city, I'll contact you about where I should go!

Hmmm. Terrific question, Paul.

I reckon you could take a pub menu (blackboard?) from one pub to another right across the province and order from it with complete confidence: chicken wings (hot, killer hot, Buffalo, Uncle Fred's BBQ or Cajun honey mustard), wedding ring calamari, artichoke/cheese dip, nachos (with those particularly nasty sliced black olives) in regular and party size, cheese quesadillas (chicken, add $2.75), mozzarella stix, jalapeno poppers, chicken fingers (as I recall, chicken don't actually have fingers), a 'sampler basket' (two x three of the above with curly McCain fries), Cajun wrap, a burger named after the cook's mom, and, of course, 'fresh garden salad' or 'legendary Caesar'.

In addition to an unnatural reliance on the deep fryer, there's an urgent if predictable co-dependency on cheap vulcanized cheese and pre-portioned Lilydale frozen chicken parts.

Which is kind of a surprise, seeing as how pubs have had to compete on a more level playing field for the past two years. I mean since they allowed us to order a drink in a restaurant without 'intention to eat' and all. I thought maybe the competition might have sparked a renovation of pub menus. Instead, most that I trip over are proforma, lowest common-denominator excuses for instant colon rot.

Although I haven't been there in a while, one pub that I thought used to make an effort with its food program was the John B in Coquitlam. It had (has?) a cracking good wine list too.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Lately impressed by the Red Lion next door to the DFM in Dundarave. The whole crew from the Park Royal Hotel has taken it over, including Senor Corsi at the helm. I'm there at least one evening a week with the family, it having recently overtaken the White Spot as our "Aw, shit - I'm hungry, lazy, and dirty" place. :biggrin:

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

I'd go for The Crow and Gate in Cedar south of Nanaimo.

No fries, no nachos, no caesar salad, no wings, no burgers, no fish and chips!!!

Just old fashioned pub fare:

Melton Mowbray Pie

Chicken Pot Pie

Steak and Kidney Pie

Oysters

Crab Cakes

Ploughman's Lunch (Stilton or Cheddar)

Smoked Salmon Plate

Shrimp Sandwich

And weird yummy grated potato salad with dill. Also bread pudding with brandy.

On certain nights they even serve Roast Beef and Yorkshire pudding.

It has a great atmosphere. The food is simple and good (nothing fancy)

It's just so refreshing to get away from that standard menu.

The Crow and Gate has to be one of the best pubs in the province. Fond memories of sitting out in their garden, forgetting about the time good english beers consumed and then having to catch a $75 cab back into Nanaimo. My Dad was the principal of Cedar Jr. back in the day and I have fond memories of his office parties there. I'd tear around the property and of course everytime had to explain to my Mom how I accidentily! fell into the moat again!

Thank you both Brenda and Paul for memories of the Crow and Gate. It is indeed an exemplar of what a good pub should be: relaxed surroundings, quality taps and substantial, unaffected food. A slightly blurry memory reminds that darts were available too. One particularly memorable afternoon, following the two hour voluntary blood donation of playing rugby against Cowichan, then off to the C&G for restorative ales. I believe that lewd anthems were enjoined, and that the local punters who frequent it joined in both with fervour and additional verses.

Thanks for the memories,

J.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Probably the most underrated - The TC Lions Pub on Cordova St. is a favourite place of mine. It definitely has an old English flair to it, and can serve up the best pub grub in the city. Best of all, the prices are very reasonable and the food leaves you full! (and not of grease!)

Latitude Cellars, Wine Imports

www.LatitudeCellars.com

I have fond memories of Piper's in Nanaimo (Departure Bay Rd.) - fabulous soups. Now we're in Smithers, the options are the Alpenhorn (the calamari isn't in "rings" - it's actual pieces of squid VERY lightly battered & done with a chili & lime glaze. Damn - now I'm hungry) or the Fireside (good burgers, but appetizers somewhat on a par with Jamie's descriptions - but the fries aren't curly, thank God). The appetizers at the Alpenhorn are excellent - particularly on Fridays, when they do the closest thing to tapas we can get.

Fond memories of the Crow & Gate here, too - particularly meeting my parents there after a loooong bike ride - drinking too much Merridale cider & having to sling the bikes in the back for a ride home. Good times.

Although I've yet to actually step inside, the Penny Farthing in Oak Bay always has things like arugula, stilton, and orange salad, thai curries, lobsters tortured in unusual ways, and meat pies that have all kinds of variations on their black board. I'm kind of interested to know if any of it is any good. Has anyone darkened their doorway?

Probably the most underrated - The TC Lions Pub on Cordova St. is a favourite place of mine.  It definitely has an old English flair to it, and can serve up the best pub grub in the city. Best of all, the prices are very reasonable and the food leaves you full! (and not of grease!)

Heh there LMB... welcome :biggrin:

Can you provide a wee bit more detail about the grub available at the TC Lions Pub? From your description above... "leaves you full and not (full) of grease".... it would be interesting to hear/read what they have on offer. Ta :biggrin: .

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Probably the most underrated - The TC Lions Pub on Cordova St. is a favourite place of mine.  It definitely has an old English flair to it, and can serve up the best pub grub in the city. Best of all, the prices are very reasonable and the food leaves you full! (and not of grease!)

Can you provide a wee bit more detail about the grub available at the TC Lions Pub? From your description above... "leaves you full and not (full) of grease".... it would be interesting to hear/read what they have on offer. Ta :biggrin: .

LMB - I always assumed that the TC Lions Pub was part of the Terminal City Club and therefore access was restricted to TC members - am I wrong? It is open to the public?

Is this the pub in the base of the Terminal City club? I went once, a few years ago, and was not inspired to return. Perhaps the food has improved.

The Crow and Gate is the pub that I look forward to visiting. In the summer you can sit outside in the garden and then take a quick drive to Hazelwood Herb Farm.

edited to add: You beat me to it Lee, but yes it is open to the public.

Edited by barolo (log)

Cheers,

Anne

I used to love Christie's in when I lived in Oak Bay. My staple was their Ceaser which wasn't loaded with artificial tasting dressing. My other haunt used to be the Rose and Thorn, but since it closed, I haven't replaced it with another pub.

Always wondered why it is that pubs in this province

all serve the same thing. It's like a law, or something.

Why aren't pub cooks more inspired beyong the wings,

nachos and calamari crap?

Most of the time I glance at the menu,

hungry, then ..... uh, not so much.

Last time I was in John B. they were still serving up

creative dishes. I like that they stray from the norm,

get all ambitious and actually try a few Asian-inspired

dishes. Kudos for effort, and accomplishment.

The Raven in North Van, as I recall, served some tasty fare.

Sorry I can't be more specific, just remember not being

grossed out or bored by it - the usual pub grub measuring stick.

Actually, the Hop and Vine in North Burnaby does a good job

of adding different things to the menu - seafood, Asian, Indian

influences.

I'd love to hear more recommendations. So tired of Costco-style

pub grub....

Would also love to hear from those who work in pubs what the reason is.

My local literally, it's less than 100 metres from my flat, is the Irish Heather. I'm a regular for either a Strongbow or Guiness several times a week usually accommpanied by a nice cheese plate or the hearty Irish breakfast. Nothing works wonders after a night of wine tasting/drinking than their breakfast ( scrambled eggs, white and black pudding, lean bacon , sausages, fried tomato and grainy bread). After being a patron from day one to this afternoon...! it's been a great local for seven years. Please stay out of my seat just under the painting :biggrin::biggrin:

On another local I've got familar with is the Cow in Notting Hill. My wife and I always go there for Guiness and their house made pate on each of our visits and the Italian staff always remember us and our favourite seat.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

are there any pub staff with any opinions on this? maybe the same old menu is just the path of least resistance. i know that pubs are supposed to be casual and down to earth, but does this mean that the people who go to pubs don't want creative food?

in the u.k. they have gastro-pubs where you get the full pub vibe but also get an interesting menu. is this an idea that could work here?

are there any pub staff with any opinions on this? maybe the same old menu is just the path of least resistance. i know that pubs are supposed to be casual and down to earth, but does this mean that the people who go to pubs don't want creative food?

in the u.k. they have gastro-pubs where you get the full pub vibe but also get an interesting menu. is this an idea that could work here?

The whole gastro-pub concept is truly British in nature and design with young and talented Euro trained chefs leaving the confines of the London market place and heading off to the country (cheaper real estate, declining local pub cultures etc..) and opening restaurants within pubs with gourmet food and great wine and beer. Unfortunately here in Vancouver most pubs still do not look at wine as part of the "gastro" concept. Good food not only needs great beer but also a wine culture. The best example of a Gastro pub would be Spinnakers or the Canoe Club in Victoria. They both have great beers, a decent wine list (by the glass), and creative food beyond the usual pub fare.

I would love to see more here...

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I'd love to see the gastro-pub concept too, but I beleive the key requirement isn't in place here in BC, the engine that drove the fad in the UK, insanely high restaurant prices. How is a gastro pub going to compete with the Bins or Hapa? I think for a grass roots movemet like gastro pubs to gain traction, you need fertile ground, eg. a vulnerable restaurant culture, something we (thankfully) don't have.

LMB - I always assumed that the TC Lions Pub was part of the Terminal City Club and therefore access was restricted to TC members - am I wrong? It is open to the public?

Since renovating and rebuilding the Terminal City Club a few years ago, they have made it much more open to the public. (it is now a hotel as well) Their main Dinning Room is open to the public most days except when private events are going on, and the TC Lions Pub is always available. They also have a mixed grill on the second floor inside the main building that you can get a taste of everything offered at the Club.

As far as pub food - they have all the usuals - wings, burgers, calamari, etc. - a personal favourite of mine is their Buffalo burger, which is stacked big enough that you have to unlock your jaw to get a bite around it! They also serve continental entrees. I noticed in their newsletter this month, they are doing Weekend Brunch now for $9 "Your choice of eggs benedict or shrimp and crab crepes with cheese sauce, both served with chunky hash browns."

The Club's chefs are top notch:

Andrea MacLean retained her 2004 championship title by winning the 2005 Iron Chef Compeition and also placed Third in the 2004 Karl Shier Compeition.

Fumiko Morten (TCC Pastry Chef) won the Top Apprentice at the 2004 Karl Shier Competition, as well as won the 18th Annual Quady Dessert Competition, beating 24 of Vancouver's top pastry chefs.

I've never had a meal at the Terminal City Club (Fine Dining, Grill, or Pub) that I've been disappointed with. Consistently great!

Latitude Cellars, Wine Imports

www.LatitudeCellars.com

I'd love to see the gastro-pub concept too, but I beleive the key requirement isn't in place here in BC, the engine that drove the fad in the UK, insanely high restaurant prices. How is a gastro pub going to compete with the Bins or Hapa? I think for a grass roots movemet like gastro pubs to gain traction, you need fertile ground, eg. a vulnerable restaurant culture, something we (thankfully) don't have.

Thanks for that insight. Given a choice of insanely expensive restaurant food driving a gastropub revolution or keeping our unimpressive pub grub along with good, cheap restaurants, I'll stick with what we have. Luckily good beer is available in restaurants here.

Cheers,

Anne

Keith,

Certainly insanely high restaurant prices were contributing to the trend(fad assumes short term, & gastropubs are now firmly entrenched) in the U.K. but also breweries were offloading country pubs that were of perceived low value or simply unprofitable in order to improve margins in a tough competitive market, especially so with shareholders to satisfy! During this period a number of highly experienced chefs, with incredible resumes, were looking to start their own thing but without the resources required for the kind of restaurants they had experience in, so a convenient coincidence. Indeed the example of gastropub has been around for ages, especially on the continent (perhaps country inn would be more apt), Franco Taruschio at the Walnut tree inn is a good example & more recently Andrew Pern at the Star in Harome(Yorkshire). The best examples exhibit what positive directions British food/chefs are taking, emphasising in an honest way the best of local & seasonal produce. The money goes into the food, which suits me just fine. It is especially enjoyable to pick-up a craft real ale from somebody who knows about it(Beer geek), you dont have to tip, & doesn't have gelled spiky hair(I go to eat & drink, if it is good that is reward enough, i can do without the expense of eye-candy especially if it compromises food/drink quality).

I would love to see this fad over here more. :cool: