• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hell's Kitchen, U.S. Season 1

jhlurie

Which show would get more viewers?

Show 1) The winner gets to own and run their dream restaurant in LA.

Show 2) The winner gets to be a line cook at a restaurant in London.

You mean it was about ratings not creating a "master chef" :shock:

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

According to the interview with Michael on the official HK website, he went to culinary school in London and tried unsuccessfully to intern with GR back then.  He claims there's a 2-3 year waiting list just to work for the guy for free (!)  He also says he's opening his restaurant in Vegas in 2007, no word on whether or not Fox is ponying up any of the dough.

SO...what your saying is : Micheal got crap all!? (except for winning on the show?)

The best man won.

Michael had all the qualities necessary for a chef: Talented, hard working, even, steady temperament while working, not easily flustered, handled pressure well, good skills, crafty, resourceful, manipulative. Didn't let his (decidedly large) ego get in the way.

His restaurant was perfectly suited for the environment. Ralph's was decidedly not.  His motivational cards were ludicrous--and probably counterproductive. Ralph found himself jacked up, outflanked, outmaneuvered--with second-best cooks--and his food was never very good. Michael's was always more daring and creative.He continued to take risks--successfully--whether sabotaging Ralph--or by planning more ambitious menus.

Michael was particularly smart to pick Jimmy first. Not the obvious choice--but the shrewd, observant one. . Elsie and spikey-head both flamed out quickly in classic style, running around like headless chickens.

Okay..So maybe Mikey's evil and maybe even insane. He was smart enough to do the math and figure that working with Gordon--even with one of Gordon's proteges--will be better long term value than owning a restaurant for which he is not prepared now.

So the pick all a bunch of idiots, with never a chance, and that's what we get?

Are you serious? fit for the job as a "chef"!?

I think this work and it's use is just tossed around way too loosely these days!

I know alot of cooks, that would have blown Micheal out of the water!

Micheal....a chef? I think not! Winner of a contest in the culinary field, but really! :wacko:

According to the interview with Michael on the official HK website, he went to culinary school in London and tried unsuccessfully to intern with GR back then.  He claims there's a 2-3 year waiting list just to work for the guy for free (!)  He also says he's opening his restaurant in Vegas in 2007, no word on whether or not Fox is ponying up any of the dough.

SO...what your saying is : Micheal got crap all!? (except for winning on the show?)

Well, he allegedly got a job with Ramsay which I wouldn't exactly say is "crap-all". Plus anyone who wins or comes close to winning a popular reality show can parlay that into other jobs on other shows if they choose (e.g. there'll always be a home for Mikey on VH1).

Edited by PDC (log)

Ralph's wife seemed... appropriate for Ralph. That's all I'll say, apart from she seemed to be reasonably fresh off the boat (Russia?).

That said, according to this interview with Jessica, Michael's wife is a stripper.

Dude, what kind of boat did you just fall from?

Did you land on anything important?

-------------------------

Water Boils Roughly

Cold Eggs Coagulating

Egg Salad On Rye

-------------------------

Gregg Robinson

It's a hit...and coming back. From Cynopsis (a TV industry trade pub):

Fox will return with a second season of Hell's Kitchen (Granada America/A.Smith & Co.) and Chef Gordon Ramsay. The summer reality series surprised many with its regular time period win on Mondays nights in the coveted A18-49 demo, an accomplishment attributed largely to Ramsay himself. While Ramsay began the series as a Simon Cowell sound alike, unlike Simon he also showed a humorous and even "nice" side, setting him apart from many of the other apprentice style programs. Naturally, Fox is saying there will be new twists in the next season, tho declined to elaborate

Prepare to die laughing.. Andrew has his own website:

http://www.andrewbonito.com/

All I can say is this is one of the worst cases of narcissism I've ever seen..

Narcissism is right!! A few snippets from Andrew's catering menu (and let's hope he finds eGullet and gets on here to defend these emberassments):

5) Adair’s Spring Fever (vegetarian)

Penne tossed with freshly diced red and green peppers, onions, and freshly diced tomatoes. Lightly tossed in olive oil and finished with splotches of half melted fresh mozzarella.

SPLOTCHES?!

8) Nonna’s Cod Calabrese

Sauteed in a quasi potato, onion, and tomato stew. Quasi stew and a southern Italian delight.

2) Stimson’s Spontaneous Curry (vegetarian)

Curry veggies – whatever I see that looks good. Expect peppers, onions, broccoli, and sugar snap peas for the most part. Finished with a spicy yellow curry.

8) Dave’s Citrus Ale Turkey

Braised in oranges and ale. Must be Pre-Ordered

And at the bottom of that f'ing nightmare of a menu:

** indicates my favorites

Gordon Ramsey you blind man...look who you've given up on!

No cable so I'm just catching up to this thread now...thanks bitTorrent :)

I and others had Michael pegged from the start, partially because he reminds me of a chef friend in several ways (all good) and because blessed are the meek for they shall inherit a restaurant. They certainly tried their best to put him up as the crazy tattooed guy who talks to himself but he turned out great dishes on the fly, and moved freely from station to station to prop up others when needed (and sabotage when it was needed too).

I can hardly imagine why people would say he's not a chef and just a cook. Ralph was capable of holding his own, but when given creative license he designed a boring italian steakhouse and talked up a porterhouse as the cadillac of steak. Not that highfalutin snooty food is a must all the time but the man had a FULLY CLEAN SLATE and that's the best he could do?

No doubt he'll go out and open his dream restaurant...that restaurant...one day.

P.S. For pete's sake, when did it become acceptable to say someone's wife seemed fresh off the boat, and looked like a mafia hooker? Crikes. Imagine what they probably say about you then, fattie.

Although this is primarily a VERY long recap of the final episode, the author was a diner at Ralph's "Italian Steakhouse" on the final night of the competiition. If you scroll about halfway down the page you'll get to his take on Ralph's food.

Article here

I guess I can take a break from the recap to describe some of my culinary adventures at the hallowed establishment that was Frank and Lulu's. S. Lo and I ordered pumpkin ravioli and shrimp scampi appetizers respectively. Her ravioli was so cloyingly sweet and mushy, it literally tasted like there was frosting in the pasta. As for my dish, the shrimp was cooked well, but it was served with a marinara sauce that tasted no different than some fresh-from-the-jar Ragu. Never mind that marinara sauce is not the optimal choice to go with scampi. This was Ralph, after all.

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

• 10 months later...