• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hell's Kitchen, U.S. Season 1

jhlurie

How do you like his catering menu?  All wraps, all the time..

Following the Andrew tangent briefly... Looked over his menu as well and LMAO (Tuna Tartare on Ruffled Potato Chips :blink:) especially when I saw...

I need to digress....Vegetarians please don't torch me :smile: over what I am about to write. Yes, I'm a proud card-carrying member of the People Eating Tasty Animals association, but I genuinely respect your eating habits. My cycling team recently dined at a local vegen restaurant where I had a big plate of General Tso's tofu... never once did I think about the dish not having any chicken in it. GOOD EATS!!! :cool:...

... I cannot fathom "no-meat" Matzah Ball and Split Pea soups!!! Laurel didn't go anywhere without Hardy. Can't have a Hall without an Oats. There's no Starsky without a Hutch. Matzah + Chicken; Split-peas + Hamhocks!

Back to talking Hell's Kitchen: Spin-aside, Michael definitely had the skills to win... glad to see my pilot-episode pick made it through.

CSR

PS - Non-meat eaters, if you've got alternative matzah ball and split-pea soup recipes, send them my way. I'll demo 'em with an open mind.

"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com

Oh Lord...Andrew's website...must control the laughter....

8) Nonna’s Cod Calabrese

Sauteed in a quasi potato, onion, and tomato stew. Quasi stew and a southern Italian delight.

13) ** Porterhouse Botticelli

Porterhouse steak topped with caramelized burnt crispy onions and a Sherry/Madeira demy-glace. Absolutely amazing.

Oh my...and then there is Tuna Tartare Tostitos!

Hysterical.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Agreed the clips of Michael talking to himself etc were weird, and possibly non-spontaneous (read: scripted). But what if you were being recorded 24 hours a day, can you say that the ruthless producers at Fox would find nothing to splice into the show to make you appear "weird"?

it wasn't so much the talking to himself that was weird (though if you've ever watched "Big Brother," you know not to talk to yourself, pick your nose, scratch your butt, &c., at any point given the CAMERAS YOU SHOULD KNOW ARE INSTALLED EVERYWHERE), it was his third-person self-reference, a la Bob Dole, that was freaky. "Now is Michael's time ... ," &c.

that, and the fact he was a backstabbing weasel who i'd never let within 10 miles of me if i were cooking.

meantime, thanks for the link to the Andrew site. we're enjoying it all here. i'm so unsurprised that he opts for Wal-Mart instead of Wusthof.

Oh Lord...Andrew's website...must control the laughter....

8)      Nonna’s Cod Calabrese

Sauteed in a quasi potato, onion, and tomato stew.  Quasi stew and a southern Italian delight.

Hysterical.

What exactly is a quasi potato?

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com

and a quasi stew. That whole site is very very strange, and the spelling errors...yikes!!!! I never liked him from the outset. I found him arrogant and useless. At least I had a great laugh reading his website.

I knew Michael was going to win from the first episode. He was the only one with the talent and the attitude. I hope he does well. I wonder when we'll get an update?

I didn't really "get" the selection of micheal as the winner. I think micheal can cook better than ralph (thats certainly debateable), but thats not the whole story to me anyway. the winner was to be given a restaurant to run. Micheal is a line dog. He belongs in the kitchen, not in front of people.

I guess what i'm trying to say is i think Ralph could run a restaurant. He can cook, expedite, serve, and i'll bet he'd make a hell of a maitre'd. He just seemed to have charm and charisma where micheal didn't, and won't. There is so much more to running a restaurant than cooking. I was dissappointed that the show only focused on the kitchen. Its a good thing micheal took GR's offer because he's not the person to "run a restaurant" They may have picked the best COOK on the show, but imho, ralph is the complete package.....and i must be the only one who LOVED the way he was selling that porterhouse on the street, even tho the ribs had to be better, he stepped up and really tried to sell it. Hey, if your not gonna sell your product, who will?

p.s. Did anyone notice that ralphs wife was a piece of a$$. How did HE land THAT! gotta be the charm, baby.

...and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce it tastes alot more like prunes than rhubarb does. groucho

It was a long and torcherous road for all of us...........

I don't think any one sould have won a restaurant........but I am glad that Micheal had the brains to take the job/apprentiship with Gordon Ramsey...an offer like that , any one would be a fool to pass!

As for Andrew, he's a knob!

I do love the idea of shows to follow: The torcher of the orange clogs! or Out all night with Bourdain! COOL! LOL

Still, I am sure next season's shows will be just as painfull for all of us!

Good thing GR is easy on the eyes! LOL

The best man won.

Michael had all the qualities necessary for a chef: Talented, hard working, even, steady temperament while working, not easily flustered, handled pressure well, good skills, crafty, resourceful, manipulative. Didn't let his (decidedly large) ego get in the way.

His restaurant was perfectly suited for the environment. Ralph's was decidedly not. His motivational cards were ludicrous--and probably counterproductive. Ralph found himself jacked up, outflanked, outmaneuvered--with second-best cooks--and his food was never very good. Michael's was always more daring and creative.He continued to take risks--successfully--whether sabotaging Ralph--or by planning more ambitious menus.

Michael was particularly smart to pick Jimmy first. Not the obvious choice--but the shrewd, observant one. . Elsie and spikey-head both flamed out quickly in classic style, running around like headless chickens.

Okay..So maybe Mikey's evil and maybe even insane. He was smart enough to do the math and figure that working with Gordon--even with one of Gordon's proteges--will be better long term value than owning a restaurant for which he is not prepared now.

abourdain

I never believed there was a real restaurant available as a prize.

I know someone who audtioned and is absolutely qualified to run a restaurant of that caliber. The casting agents told him "we love you, you look fabulous on camera"

There was something odd about the whole premise, even though we didn't really know who Ramsay was at the time. We joked, "The real prize is probably going to work for Ramsay"

Does anyone know the address of that restaurant? I'd like to drive by.

PS - Non-meat eaters, if you've got alternative matzah ball and split-pea soup recipes, send them my way. I'll demo 'em with an open mind.

While this is completely off topic, I was served a very good veggie soup with matzoh balls at Passover this year. Honestly, since I made about 70 L of chicken soup myself for the holiday, it was a nice change.

The best man won.

Okay..So maybe Mikey's evil and maybe even insane.

Personally, that's why I liked him. Also seems like a good base for working in a kitchen...

p.s.  Did anyone notice that ralphs wife was a piece of a$$.  How did HE land THAT!  gotta be the charm, baby.

OK, I absolutely must object here... this woman looked like the quintessencial mafia hooker! No class at all...gimme a break! Piece of a$$, yeah, probably and also probably not too hard to get either.

I agree, Michael was the rightful winner. I loved how he exposed Ralph's superficial 'pro' crap. Wiley, like a fox!

Oh, and I'm sorry, who says 'smooth' and 'good with people' is what is needed to be a chef? Ever heard of Bourdain or Keller? Neither of which are exactly people persons by reputation.

p.s.  Did anyone notice that ralphs wife was a piece of a$$.  How did HE land THAT!  gotta be the charm, baby.

OK, I absolutely must object here... this woman looked like the quintessencial mafia hooker! No class at all...gimme a break! Piece of a$$, yeah, probably and also probably not too hard to get either.

Jessica had the cuter girlfriend, with Michaels wife running a very close second.

Deadheads are kinda like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but people who like licorice, *really* like licorice!

-Jerry Garcia

The best man won.

Michael had all the qualities necessary for a chef: ... manipulative...

He continued to take risks--successfully--whether sabotaging Ralph--or by planning more ambitious menus.

Okay..So maybe Mikey's evil and maybe even insane. He was smart enough to do the math and figure that working with Gordon--even with one of Gordon's proteges--will be better long term value than owning a restaurant for which he is not prepared now.

I keep wondering if he also manipulated the course of events "when they were three." Spikey-head's chicken was getting some good reviews until Michael took over cooking it. Did anyone else notice that? She would have lost anyway. And it was hilarious when Ralph's family attempted to hijack the vote and guessed wrong about his dish!

But I agree that the boy did the smart thing - hopefully he doesn't just end up a slave, but gets a decent wage and some time to grow and learn in London.

As far as Fox, they win either way. They get a twist to the plot, ratings and no restaurant to throw away money.

I don't see how going to work for Ramsey should override the obligation of giving the original prize to the winner. I think Michael should have worked something out where he'd go to work with Ramsey but insist that after a year or two he still get his prize.

I cannot fathom "no-meat" Matzah Ball and Split Pea soups!!! Laurel didn't go anywhere without Hardy.  Can't have a Hall without an Oats. There's no Starsky without a Hutch. Matzah + Chicken; Split-peas + Hamhocks!

All the split pea soup I ever ate at home was vegetarian. Follow the recipe on the package of Manechewitz Split Peas. I do prefer matzo balls in real chicken soup, but I have seen them in vegetarian versions, even once in a butternut sqash puree soup.

According to the interview with Michael on the official HK website, he went to culinary school in London and tried unsuccessfully to intern with GR back then. He claims there's a 2-3 year waiting list just to work for the guy for free (!) He also says he's opening his restaurant in Vegas in 2007, no word on whether or not Fox is ponying up any of the dough.

I don't see how going to work for Ramsey should override the obligation of giving the original prize to the winner. I think Michael should have worked something out where he'd go to work with Ramsey but insist that after a year or two he still get his prize.

I agree on the notion that Michael should ultimately get the restaurant. The details on who pays for what are beyond my concern. If comes down to someone on GR's or Fox's side tell Michael "We're not fronting you all of the startup money, but we will make sure you do get your place launched", I think that's still acceptable. Even ultimately earning CdeC at oneof the Rst's Gordon Ramsay would be a satisfying prize.

I cannot fathom "no-meat" Matzah Ball and Split Pea soups!!! Laurel didn't go anywhere without Hardy.  Can't have a Hall without an Oats. There's no Starsky without a Hutch. Matzah + Chicken; Split-peas + Hamhocks!

All the split pea soup I ever ate at home was vegetarian. Follow the recipe on the package of Manechewitz Split Peas. I do prefer matzo balls in real chicken soup, but I have seen them in vegetarian versions, even once in a butternut sqash puree soup.

I'll head over to my grocer's Kosher section and see if I can find the split-peas. Matzah in squash soup? Interesting. I've got left-overs of each. Will try that one out. Thanks, Rachel!

- C

Edited by C_Ruark (log)
"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com

I agree on the notion that Michael should ultimately get the restaurant. The details on who pays for what are beyond my concern. If comes down to someone on GR's or Fox's side tell Michael "We're not fronting you all of the startup money, but we will make sure you do get your place launched", I think that's still acceptable. Even ultimately earning CdeC at oneof the Rst's Gordon Ramsay would be a satisfying prize.

Let's see...hmmm... a restaurant worth 2 million dollars or working for Ramsay?

I still don't believe it was ever really a prize or if it was there were probably so many strings attached to make it wholly unappealing.

Does anyone have the address? Somewhere in Hollywood, I can drive by to take a photo of it and see who the new occupants are.

The restaurant was pretty obviously a set built on a soundstage, ergo the dorm. I was always curious about the actual prize restaurant, why we never saw it, were told of it's location etc. Pretty obvous there never was an actual prize. I'd be certain the deal all along was the internship with Ramsey.

Genny you hit it on the head. It's like she just got off the set of Goodfellas or Copland.

I can't remember where I heard/read it, but Michael will apparently get $100K/year to take the abuse that others are lining up for free to receive.

If that's true I'd take that over a phantom restaurant built on a set.

Although I don't have the temperment for all that yelling and screaming. I'd start laughing. As for the pushing and shoving, yeah right.

I can't remember where I heard/read it, but Michael will apparently get $100K/year to take the abuse that others are lining up for free to receive.

Good for him if this is true, but one must remember that salaries in London, as in NYC, are inflated because the cost of living in those cities is so high. I saw an ad taped to a lamp post in London a few years ago offering secretary jobs for £30k /yr and up. If you do the conversion that seems pretty high.

Which show would get more viewers?

Show 1) The winner gets to own and run their dream restaurant in LA.

Show 2) The winner gets to be a line cook at a restaurant in London.

Bill Russell