• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hell's Kitchen, U.S. Season 1

jhlurie

My guess was Ramsay decided that Blondie was too pussyfooted to vote for Ralph so he punished her by getting rid of Mary Ellen, obviously a better qualified person to stay than Andrew.

Ha ha! :biggrin: Yes, despite the 20 minutes of recapping during every show, it does actually seem to get more entertaining as it goes....

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

I much prefer "Cooking Under Fire". GR's over-the-top abuse (and I am not especially PC) seems - well, ridiculous. However, it's actually the mean-spiritedness of the contestants, most of whom cheerfully admit that they'd stab any member of their tem in the back to get their own restaurant, that I find pretty revolting. For God's sake! Has it not occurred to them that they probably won't have a clue how to run it?

Then again, I watched only one episode of "Survivor".

My guess was Ramsay decided that Blondie was too pussyfooted to vote for Ralph so he punished her by getting rid of Mary Ellen, obviously a better qualified person to stay than Andrew.

Ha ha!  :biggrin:  Yes, despite the 20 minutes of recapping during every show, it does actually seem to get more entertaining as it goes....

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

Yeah, I think that's a bit of a strech. Why does it matter though, Andrew or Ralph get the axe next episode. I guess i'm in the acceptance stage. I seriously agree with the recapping criticism, but I've solved that by sort of half tuning in, which works for me because that's about the time when I turn on the tube anyhow, so it takes a minute.

Got to run, the dog is hungry, and I am hungry.

this show is great; we kick it around all week on the line. plenty of good quotes from the show too, which the chef delights in using on the servers and foodrunner. sure its bs; but its entertaining and addictive. personally i think he's keeping andrew around just so he can kick his ass some more. i think michael's the ringer, either he or ralph will take it home. i still think dewberry was my favorite character, just for the entertainment value. :laugh:

I like Chef Ramsey. I think he kept that nit for the reason that although he screwed up, he freely admitted it, and kept on. On the other hand, maybe in his opinion, Mary Ellen fell down on the last 1/8 pole.

How are they doing that? Are say, A-list types, B-list types, or whatever scrounged from guys like Wolfgang Puck and offered a chance to maybe eat, maybe not, be on camera, maybe not, and comped somethin or other? Anyone know?

I just got to catch up with last week's show (yippee Tivo!), so here's my belated 2 cents:

If I were Jessica I would have nominated Andrew and Ralph. The reasons -

"Chef, Andrew has consistently been the weak link in the chain. I think the team would do better without him." and

"Chef, Ralph is my strongest competitor on the Blue team. If you let him go, I have a better chance of winning. If you keep him and ditch Andrew, my team is still going to get stronger - also good for me."

It has the benefit of ballsy play. Jessican didn't have much to lose and Andrew is clearly a pain. I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

Stephanie Kay

Gearing up for another exciting episode.

Random notes to file:

kittysf does not respond to "MOVE YOUR ASS!"

roommatesf does not respond to "MOVE YOUR ASS!"

There needs to be a HK drinking game called Move Your (Gl)Ass!, based on utterance of you-know-what.

I swear he sounds like my mother yelling at us kids when we had her at the end of her rope.

And speaking of dear old Mum...Gordon Ramsay would be peerless in full-on drag; the image of him bellowing whilst wearing Monty Pythonesque curlers and a housecoat is more delicious than a plate of his ri-sotto.

Carry on!

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

As much as I love Ramsey and the show.......I don't think ANY of them really deserve to be handed a REAL restauant , to own and run.

You mean it takes more than seven or eight tv episodes to create the next world class chef?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I was just finally relieved to hear the circumstances around that "dog's dinner" comment they've been playing since the earliest commercials.

Hey, plus we got a nice commercial showing more of the exploits of that rascal Jack Bourdain.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Hey, plus we got a nice commercial showing more of the exploits of that rascal Jack Bourdain.

"Jack Bourdain: Rapscallion, hash-slinger, ladies' man. Courvoisier drinker since 1975."

(Sorry, there's just something about the name Jack.)

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

It simply gets better and better!

Michael (odds-on favorite in our house) made the shrewd move last night.

Knew Elsie wouldn't be sacked as she was positioned as the sympathetic novice during the first episode.

While Ralph remains a strong contender, bet on a Experienced Chef v. Novice finale of Michael v. Elsie.

Chris was a jackass - good riddance, I say.

yeah michael's a sly one no doubt about that! it was pretty obvious he was pulling a power play; he had trouble keeping his face straight.

andrew surprised me; he's still mr cocky but he seemed a little less whiny this episode. im betting he's gone next one though. anyone know about the sous-chefs? where they come from, etc.

i will say from a cook's standpoint i wish they showed longer shots of the actual cooking.

It simply gets better and better!

Michael (odds-on favorite in our house) made the shrewd move last night.

Knew Elsie wouldn't be sacked as she was positioned as the sympathetic novice during the first episode.

While Ralph remains a strong contender, bet on a Experienced Chef v. Novice finale of Michael v. Elsie.

Chris was a jackass - good riddance, I say.

WE may have known that it wasn't likely that Elsie would be booted. Heck, Michael may have felt so too. But I think, honestly, he didn't care who went. The only person he was happy to keep was the idiot boy.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Last night's episode bordered on the ridiculous, considering the number of beeps we had to hear. Can't reality TV cooks speak without "beeping" 3 times in every sentence?

Maggie

Can't reality TV cooks speak without "beeping" 3 times in every sentence?

Reality TV cooks? This is standard in my reality bleeping life.

Anyone notice how Elsie is wearing a blue uni in one of the intro shots? Does this mean blue loses two members, possibly Andrew and Ralph, and Ramsay does another shuffle to pit boys against girls? So the possibility of Michael vs Elsie is there, or else Michael vs Jess.

Note: This is not a bleeping spoiler, this is pure specu-bleeping-lation!

i always thought it was all about ratings and good tv but if that was the case, then why are all the cute girls already gone?? on survivor, big brother, nanananana, whatever have you they always keep a few hotties around. its pretty entertaining, but if one of these donkeys really get their own restaurant, that is a scandal. and the real tv show would be this disaster waiting to happen. i will continue to watch and right now my prediction of a winner is one of the ladies.

Last night's episode bordered on the ridiculous, considering the number of beeps we had to hear. Can't reality TV cooks speak without "beeping" 3 times in every sentence?

I work in an office and I sometimes can't get by without bleeping 3x in every sentence! :shock:

I work in an office and I sometimes can't get by without bleeping 3x in every sentence! :shock:

So you can just bleeping imagianwhat I bleeping said when I get a box of potaoes bottom out in front of the bleeping general manager!!, I of course didn,t see him sat there!!!! :laugh:

I swore a bleeping blue streek!

Back to HK though......perhaps it takes 10 episodes to become a chef/restowner? :rolleyes:

I am looking forward to the reality show, wherein the winner of this show screws up their chance at owning a restaurant. :wacko: Rocco's show will have competition for the worst restaurant related reality tv show.

-------------------------

Water Boils Roughly

Cold Eggs Coagulating

Egg Salad On Rye

-------------------------

Gregg Robinson

i'm willing to bet that after the next episode or two they will merge the teams; then we'll really see the fur fly. I hate tv, but bleep, this is entertainment! I'm wondering how they'll handle the final episode; if they'll do a follow-up, have gordon come into the winner's kitchen after like a month or something so they can have a good laff over the idiots in the show. If I won, I would like to think I'd sell the restaurant and ask Gordon for a (sous-chef) job at his restaurant.

Also: i've seen boiling point, and I have to wonder, are his cooks watching the show and laughing their bleeps off at the silly americans?

After seeing the latest episode, it only furthers my belief that Jimmy and Michael are going to be in the finals.

Ralph seems to be too...hotheaded? Out to prove himself? If there is a merge, Michael's obviously going to take him out yet.

Jimmy has flown under the radar part of the time, and despite making errors, has shown himself to have a great work ethic. Gordon's weight cracks aside, Jimmy busts his ass to get things done -- and in EVERY restaurant I've worked in, that speaks volumes about a person.

Andrew's mouth is going to cost him. I understand why he wants to say things and question, but it's going to cost him with Gordon.

Elsie and Jessica. Elsie's too emotional, in my opinion, but aside from that? They've shown during the opening what seems to be the "final/grand prize unveiling" outside the restaurant, and even though the person is blurred, he's taller -- as in "taller than Elsie and Jessica."

So I don't think it's them.

Michael or Jimmy. Ralph would have been in that prediction, but as of Monday, gone.