• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hell's Kitchen, U.S. Season 1

jhlurie

Whiel GR is over the top sometimes, I can understand what he is doing. If you think this type of training fails to get the best from some people, than you need to watch a Discovery Channel thing on Basic Training for Militaries around the world. When was the last time you saw a drill sergent really encouraging a recruit over that wall that is just too high? Never. Why?

The GR portrayed in RKN is not a cartoon like the ultra high handed hothead in HK. This is what I mean when I say the US exaggerates everything "Reality TV" to so far past believability, you're left asking "WTF?" I have never, ever seen a chef verbally abuse a customer the likes of which GR does in the interest of "dramatic effect" except on the old ep of I Love Lucy where she asks for ketchup for her snails. (Not to his or her face, anyway.) In places where you might not be the only restaurant in a 50 mile radius, word of mouth and customer service are too dependent on the customer being king. It's a good thing this show isn't filmed in NYC or GR would have gotten his ass kicked by a customer by now...And I'm talking about women customers.

As for drill sergeants at boot camp, soldiers are being trained to survive war. As metaphoric as a kitchen may seem to a battlefield, it just plain isn't one. Yes, a firm hand is necessary. I'm sure Thomas Keller would not have made The French Laundry a household word if he wasn't a tough SOB; however, you want to come away feeling like you've learned something - not like you've had your pancreas ripped out of your ear.

Hell's Kitchen is way too over the top in comparison to RKN, which although probably staged to a certain extent was edgy vs painful to watch.

Combing a couple of seasoned cooks with a bunch of wannabees and trying to pretend that this will be an even competition for the big prize just doesn't seem to make much sense. The abuse heaped on these poor sadsacks would have been laughable if it wasn't so painful.

The bootcamp analogy would have been fine if the series had been structured to bring the "prodigies" along in some sort of progression towards excellence but not the nightly trainwreck that they have been set up for so far.

Sure the candidates may have had some small inkling as to what was going to happen (although probably not to this extent) when they signed on but the bottom line is it just ain't entertaining to watch these lambs being led to the slaughter. On RKN it was professional vs professional (sort of) and the abuse was well deserved.

Now that I've understood that the customers are all actors I have no more interest in where this series is going.

As for drill sergeants at boot camp, soldiers are being trained to survive war.  As metaphoric as a kitchen may seem to a battlefield, it just plain isn't one.  Yes, a firm hand is necessary... [but], you want to come away feeling like you've learned something - not like you've had your pancreas ripped out of your ear.

Chiff,

Understand where you're coming from but I am going to have to disagree here. The brigade (hmm, interesting parallel use of the term) is the front line of the battle-field. Their objective: Fill the seats, beat the competition, make money.

A restaurant can have the most brilliant chef on the planet and completely fail if the line can't perform.

BTW, what's the line on that numbnuts that shoved too much salt into the risotto?

- CSR

Edited by C_Ruark (log)
"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com

I have to say, I loved Ramsay in RKN, and have read about him for years in the UK press (the A.A. Gill turfing was particularly funny). I even hope to go to one of his London restaurants next month.

This show - completely OTT. It's junkfood. And it will be my summer TV equivalent of a trashy read...

I loved Wendy - every time he'd point out something wrong, she didn't just say, "Yes, Chef, Sorry Chef" and fix it - she'd want to argue and discuss WHY she made the mistake.

Too funny

Edited by Brenda (log)

As for drill sergeants at boot camp, soldiers are being trained to survive war.  As metaphoric as a kitchen may seem to a battlefield, it just plain isn't one.  Yes, a firm hand is necessary... [but], you want to come away feeling like you've learned something - not like you've had your pancreas ripped out of your ear.

Chiff,

Understand where you're coming from but I am going to have to disagree here. The brigade (hmm, interesting parallel use of the term) is the front line of the battle-field. Their objective: Fill the seats, beat the competition, make money.

A restaurant can have the most brilliant chef on the planet and completely fail if the line can't perform.

BTW, what's the line on that numbnuts that shoved too much salt into the risotto?

- CSR

I think that numbnuts was lucky to make it through the cut! He's a smirking bastard and what I dislike about him most is how nothing is ever his fault. He's quick to blame everyone around him and to answer back and I think he was a detriment to the team. Much worse then Wendy, who seems to be only clueless.

I'm glad Jeff is gone. He was a whiner.

And as bad as GR is in the kitchen, when the contestants get a chance to go out with him socially, it seems to be quite fun for them. There is probably much interaction that they aren't showing here.

I know it's all a goof and far from "reality", but I'm having a blast wallowing in the reality trough!

Stephanie Kay

I watched the first episode of HK thinking the premise wasn't great but Ramsay was entertaining as...well... hell.

After three episodes though, the show's grown tiresome, just too much of the same thing. There's no educating going on, it's all performance. The show's lost me. I may tune in now and again, but it's not must see tv.

I am more engaged by Food Network's Who wants be a FN star show.

I loved Wendy - every time he'd point out something wrong, she didn't just say, "Yes, Chef, Sorry Chef" and  fix it - she'd want to argue and discuss WHY she made the mistake.

Too funny

Her answer to Ramsay as to why she added cold water to the pot when it wasn't coming to a boil fast enough:

"I thought cold water boiled faster than hot water".

:blink: WTF???

Where in the hell would she have picked up that little nugget of weird science, and worse, actually believe it? Hopefully not from any school...

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

Well it's well known that hot water freezes faster that cold water, so maybe she just reasoned that cold water must therefore boil faster that hot water? I'm just saying, it's not totally nuts ....

Edited to add sarcasm

Edited by Mallet (log)

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

I just watched my first episode last night...part of what makes it so entertaining is reading everyone's reaction here on eGullet. The too salty risotto was quite bad, I guess! I ask you, have you ever taken one bite of something so salty that it made you throw up? Couldn't that poor woman just have drunk some water? :blink: Extremely over the top!

Maggie

Yes and No

From a pure physics standpoint, water that has been boiled once and cooled off will boil faster than hot water out of the tap. It is due to the fact that boiling water eliminates dissolved oxygen first, this making it boil faster a 'second time around'.

However, if the water is out of the tap either way, then of course, hot will boil faster.

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com

Yes and No

From a pure physics standpoint, water that has been boiled once and cooled off will boil faster than hot water out of the tap.  It is due to the fact that boiling water eliminates dissolved oxygen first, this making it boil faster a 'second time around'.

However, if the water is out of the tap either way, then of course, hot will boil faster.

Er... no. There is no way the *small* time difference which *may* result from the percentage of dissolved O2 in twice boiled water would be greater than the time difference due to the starting temperature of the water.

Martin Mallet

www.malletoyster.com

The one aspect they should skip is the almost seven min. long recap at the beginning of each episode. I would rather see more new footage.

Living hard will take its toll...

I watched the first episode of HK thinking the premise wasn't great but Ramsay was entertaining as...well... hell.

After three episodes though, the show's grown tiresome, just too much of the same thing. There's no educating going on, it's all performance.  The show's lost me.  I may tune in now and again, but it's not must see tv. 

I couldn't agree more. I thought it would be fun to watch GR make mince-meat out of people, but I find it strangely dull. I believe the show would be much more interesting if these people could actually cook! It's getting totally old watching the kitchen get shut down before service is complete ... although watching Ramsey chew out a customer is always fun.

Oh ... and WHT is right. Skip the intro ... or at least cut it to 60 seconds.

A.

The one aspect they should skip is the almost seven min. long recap at the beginning of each episode. I would rather see more new footage.

Methinks they are doing that to make up for losing an extra person (or possibly 2), as in contestants who call GR an asshole, then walk off the set. Fox paid for x number of episodes, and a contestant leaving cuts down the number of possible episodes by one. He can't be eliminated if he walks off, and there are rules to follow for shows that give away prizes. If my math is correct, this means that at least one more will bail on the show before it's done. They are stretching it for 2 extra shows, I think...

Or I could be completely wrong, and it simply gives the producers the chance to give Ramsey even more time to hurl invective around the kitchen, which seems to be the whole premise of the show anyway...

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Methinks they are doing that to make up for losing an extra person (or possibly 2), as in contestants who call GR an asshole, then walk off the set. Fox paid for x number of episodes, and a contestant leaving cuts down the number of possible episodes by one. He can't be eliminated if he walks off, and there are rules to follow for shows that give away prizes. If my math is correct, this means that at least one more will bail on the show before it's done. They are stretching it for 2 extra shows, I think...

Or I could be completely wrong, and it simply gives the producers the chance to give Ramsey even more time to hurl invective around the kitchen, which seems to be the whole premise of the show anyway...

Methinks I hate American TV even more.

GR is smart, laugh out loud funny, engaging on his own without a script. HK makes him look like a dull cartoon character. He's a fantastic actor to perform like that with a straight face.

I've been enjoying the show (albeit in the same way that I enjoyed seeing Al Pacino in The Devil's Advocate or Ben Gazzara in Roadhouse - it's funny, but hardly their finest moments) but does anyone know how successful it has been? I get the impression that it hasn't been that big a hit, but I could be wrong (seeing as I don't really have anything to back that up with).

It's very strange, but the more episodes I watch, the more I find myself enjoying the show...and wishing they gave us a bit more content. Then again, I watched the first episode in real time. Since then, I've been watching them on DVR and zipping through the commercials, recapped bits, and the like, and can easily get through a whole episode in about half an hour. And as my husband pointed out, we are most likely not Fox's middle-of-the-road audience. We spent quite a bit of time wondering whether they had access to any pantry items at all in the shop for and then cook five courses challenge, and then wondering who cleaned the kitchen each night.

I also find myself wondering if any of these people are suited to having their own restaurant at the end of all this. Does anyone know if there are any stipulations placed on the restaurant, or if the winner will get to make any choices about the restaurant?

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Ah man, this show came around at the right time, just when i was getting sick of watching reruns of boiling, beyond, and nightmares on Dish Network. I can almost understand everything he says. My favorite sounds like this, "your not a chef, do you think you're me at your age, your not even close, go f*ck off in the corner." That last part being in the gray. I really wish they had some other faces up there to lend more credibility to him, sadly all of our(America's, Food Networks's) TV chefs, with some exceptions and you know who you are, are too much out of their kitchens to do a guy like Ramsey any real justice. Alot of what he reacts badly to in the show is deservedly so, take the Wendy example. Everything pointed to her staying over Andy. But however good she cooks Teriyaki fish, she won't lose face and bow to his expertise, so she gets the gas. Anyone on the blue team could have been sent home last week and I wouldn't have shed any tears, well except Mary Ellen :unsure:. I think this flaw was enough to disqualify her investment potential as an owner. The whole show is wrong in that respect though. I don't care what their investment potential is as an owner, I want to see someone get a million dollar a year cooking career in a network owned restaurant with a two year contract. What the F is a two million dollar restaurant going to get Gordon Ramsay in London, let alone Joe Schmo in Los Angeles. Raise the stakes people, and remember this reality tv business is why we can't see Gretzky make a comeback.

I get the impression that it hasn't been that big a hit, but I could be wrong (seeing as I don't really have anything to back that up with).

It looks like it is doing OK. It appears to be the #3 rated reality show this summer behind Dancing with the Stars (huh? :huh: ) and Hit Me Baby 1 More Time (OK, I actually got a kick out of this last week). It isn't in the top 20 overall, but it was #11 last week among the coveted 18-49 demographic.

Top broadcast shows among 18-49 demographic for the week June 6 - 12

Rank Show title Network Viewers in millions

1. Dancing with the Stars ABC 6.2

2. NBA Finals, Game 2: Pistons/Spurs ABC 5.9

3. NBA Finals, Game 1: Pistons/Spurs ABC 5.7

4. Primetime  ABC 5.5

5. Family Guy Fox 5.4

6. CSI CBS 5.2

7. The Simpsons Fox 5.0

8. Hit Me Baby One More Time NBC 4.8

8. Two and a Half Men CBS 4.8

8. Two and a Half Men CBS 4.8

11. Hell's Kitchen Fox 4.5

11. Two and a Half Men CBS 4.5

11. Two and a Half Men CBS 4.5

14. American Dad Fox 4.3

14. Fire Me...Please CBS 4.3

16. House Fox 4.1

16. Law & Order: Special Victims Unit NBC 4.1

18. The Simpsons Fox 4.0

19. CSI: New York CBS 3.9

20. Two and a Half Men CBS 3.7

Bill Russell

That was bullshit, first of all red team should have kicked waaay more ass than they did, second of all that andrew should be out of here, gordon, you don't get rid of the bartender second to go from the blue team. I would have liked to see the blonde girl come through with some backbone and not exterminate her other friend. You know Mary Ellen is way better than Andrew, way better than Ralph for that matter. Sickening how the red team is wollowing in their slightly less ineptness. This episode would make me stop watching if i didn't think it's good encouragement for my girl to be watching this stuff, maybe she'll want to watch more iron chef with me someday. They should have gotten rid of the whole blue team for this night. I will tune in to watch the reds backstab as they are inclined to do however, the big guy, he's the most genuine, my hopes lie with him but I have few illusions left right now. Did any of you see tomorrow's Kitchen Nightmares is new, sweet, caught Walnut Tree last week which, I think, finally completes my Gordon Ramsay BBC America bibliography, sweet, sweet episode there. I guess that this comment should be reserved for the Nightmares thread, but I really like that new head guy they got there. Maybe I haven't seen one of the Beyonds but I dunno.

That was bullshit, first of all red team should have kicked waaay more ass than they did, second of all that andrew should be out of here, gordon, you don't get rid of the bartender second to go from the blue team.  I would have liked to see the blonde girl come through with some backbone and not exterminate her other friend.  You know Mary Ellen is way better than Andrew, way better than Ralph for that matter.  Sickening how the red team is wollowing in their slightly less ineptness.  This episode would make me stop watching if i didn't think it's good encouragement for my girl to be watching this stuff, maybe she'll want to watch more iron chef with me someday.  They should have gotten rid of the whole blue team for this night.  I will tune in to watch the reds backstab as they are inclined to do however, the big guy, he's the most genuine, my hopes lie with him but I have few illusions left right now.  Did any of you see tomorrow's Kitchen Nightmares is new, sweet, caught Walnut Tree last week which, I think, finally completes my Gordon Ramsay BBC America bibliography, sweet, sweet episode there.  I guess that this comment should be reserved for the Nightmares thread, but I really like that new head guy they got there.  Maybe I haven't seen one of the Beyonds but I dunno.

Lighten up - its all a fake show. But it is fun to watch!

Come on! This is great stuff! Clever as the day is long...

Personally, if I had never worked in a kitchen, I would be so scared that I would never, ever, ever go out to a restaurant again. The average public eats this stuff up and believes it. THIS IS BRILLIANT!!!

I am sure that Joe American Average will think twice about the origin of the dish he/she has ordered next time he/she eats in a LA restaurant.

I cannot wait to see what lows/highs this show can achieve.

Brian

Chef/Owner/Teacher

I've been enjoying the show as well; I think it's getting better since GR has started to break them in and doesn't have to be so over-the-top vicious. He can now afford the luxury of praise!

Martin Mallet

www.malletoyster.com

That was bullshit, first of all red team should have kicked waaay more ass than they did, second of all that andrew should be out of here, gordon, you don't get rid of the bartender second to go from the blue team.  I would have liked to see the blonde girl come through with some backbone and not exterminate her other friend.  You know Mary Ellen is way better than Andrew, way better than Ralph for that matter.  Sickening how the red team is wollowing in their slightly less ineptness.  This episode would make me stop watching if i didn't think it's good encouragement for my girl to be watching this stuff, maybe she'll want to watch more iron chef with me someday.  They should have gotten rid of the whole blue team for this night.  I will tune in to watch the reds backstab as they are inclined to do however, the big guy, he's the most genuine, my hopes lie with him but I have few illusions left right now.  Did any of you see tomorrow's Kitchen Nightmares is new, sweet, caught Walnut Tree last week which, I think, finally completes my Gordon Ramsay BBC America bibliography, sweet, sweet episode there.  I guess that this comment should be reserved for the Nightmares thread, but I really like that new head guy they got there.  Maybe I haven't seen one of the Beyonds but I dunno.

Lighten up - its all a fake show. But it is fun to watch!

I know it's fake, but come on, you have to have some faith in this Gordon Ramsay character. I give him alot of credit for attempting this in the states as they say, I am so hoping for a decent ending to this. His first three(four) eliminations were classic, his fourth(fifth) not so much. At least Andrew makes some good comments to save his ass however. What was it he said, I was so shocked I wouldn't have been able to think. "At least I kept my mouth shut!?" or something. I guess he's better T.V. than the bartender girl. Also, I can't believe the lack of response to this thread anymore, has everyone stopped watching besides you guys? Yeah we all wish Tony would be on it, like Sugar Ray and Stallone did contender, but come on, it's still great entertainment. Kicks the FN's half-ass attempt at reality T.V. anyhow.