• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Diego Mexican Food

jrichman

I have been to San Diego numerous times, and always go to a few Mexican Places while I am out there - so far my favorite is the Old Town Mexican Cafe, however I feel that there has gotta be a more local authentic place in the area - any suggestions? Thanks!

When I lived in San Diego, I found it easier to just dash down to TJ or Ensenada. Granted, San Diego Mexican food is TONS better the closer you get to the border. It is odd that there is this sort of distance effect in that the further away one drives, the less authentic it seems. I could get decent enough Mexican food in Los Angeles, but always found it wanting since I got my bearings in San Diego. Now that I am in Northern California, I really can't abide Mexican food as it just "doesn't seem the same."

Oddly, hearkening back to the infamous Taco Truck thread, some of the best Mexican even in San Diego was to be had at the Taco Trucks that hung out on the less-frequented beaches. I used to swim near Torrey Pines and if you took the Northern route to Black's Beach, this awesome truck used to be parked there.

I also used to enjoy chips and salsa in Old Town but it was the hole-in-the-walls in the not-so-nice districts that really had the killer carnitas!

Funny... I just realized I started writing in California-eeeze: "awesome," "killer" eGads - it is 1980 all over again....

I grew up on Mexican food and still have it at least three times a week. There are good Mexican places all over San Diego County, you just have to search them out. Very few of them are regular restaurants, however. They are usually taco shops, where it's hard to spend more than $6 or $7, unless you get into seafood, in which case you might spend $10. Old Town is nice to drink margaritas and some of the food is even decent, but I rarely go there. My current favorite place, mainly because it's near my office and I can get take-out for lunch, is the Harvest Taco Shop, 9350 Clairemont Mesa Blvd., on the northwest corner at Ruffin Rd., just west of the I-15. Good mole de pollo, tamales, carne asada tacos, carnitas, tacos al pastor, enchiladas, and seafood, including fish or shrimp soup. The albondigas soup is great, too. They have the best marinated carrots and chiles on the salsa bar, which also has very good salsas. There are places like this all over San Diego though- some better than others, and some doing certain things better than others. You have to try them and figure out what they do best. A lot of it is the style you are used to, also. I know that probably doesn't help someone from out of town, but if you tell me where you will be, I might be able to recommend someplace close.

I've lived in SD for 20 years and have visited my fair share of mexican places. Most were okay some were pretty good. I'm not really sure what "authentic" really means since different regions make food differently but I will give you a few places that I think are in the pretty good category.

The first one that I've mentioned before in another vacation thread is Nacho's Taco Shop. They are located on the 7500 block of University Ave in La Mesa. I moved right down the street from them 11 years ago and have been eating there ever since. They said that they've been at this same location for over 20 years and I believe it as they are busy all the time. They have a huge selection of taco's, burrito's, specials, combo plates and the like. All combo meals come on mexican styled/made pottery/clay plates and are a good size to accomodate all your food complete with garnish. My favorites are Taco's Al Pastor, Carne Asada Torta, Carne Asada Burrito, shrimp Seviche, Machaca combo plate and Carne Asada enchiladas. The Taco's Al Pastor come with two mini corn tortilla's for each of the three taco's and is filled with richly flavored/spiced meat and onions/cilantro. I always get guac on them too. The Seviche is made to order and can be spicy or mild. Get the carne asada cooked with their home made salsa.

Another place my wife and I like is a place on Home Avenue just west of the 805 freeway. I'm sorry I can't remember the name but it's a restaurant styled place that serves what I would call home made mexican. Not the typical stuff you'd see in a taco shop. For instance, their chicken enchiladas come flat stuffed with cheese and chicken and topped with a fried egg. The sauce is a thick, dark, rich sauce that is very good. Not the typical rolled enchiladas with red enchilada sauce. This is very homestyle food that is not duplicated at places like El Torrito.

The next place that I've been too a lot when I worked down the street is Alfonso's in La Jolla. HERE is the link so check them out too. The food has loads of flavor and the combinations are really good. I don't get to La Jolla as often as I'd like any more but now that I remember this place we might go this weekend if it's not raining as projected. Being in La Jolla, it's pretty pricey but good. Eating on the patio on a sunny day is very nice. Can't vouch for the "authenticity" though.

Carlsbad, thanks for the tip on Harvest. I'd like to check them out.

Carolyne, I ate a Chorizo burrito once from a taco truck. It had to be the most delicious chorizo burrito I've eaten. Problem was that an hour later, my stomach felt like it was slowly being eatin away by acid and it lasted a long time. Man o man that was a difficult day. :wacko:

cheers,

Bob

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

My favorites restaurants for Mexican food in SD:

El Cuervo Taco Shop (my favorite carne asada burrito)

110 W Washington St

San Diego, CA

Phone: (619) 295-9713

El Indio Mexican Restaurant (buy masa there for your next tamalada)

3695 India St

San Diego, CA

Phone: (619) 299-0333

La Pinata Mexican Restaurant (walked there from work, decent)

2836 Juan St

San Diego, CA

Phone: (619) 297-1631

Berta's Latin American Restaurant (great food, not just Mexican)

3928 Twiggs St

San Diego, CA

Phone: (619) 295-2343

Old Town Mexican Cafe (had our rehearsal dinner there, oh the tortillas)

2489 San Diego Ave

San Diego, CA

Phone: (619) 297-4330

Bustamante Coffee Shop (8 stools, four tables; best chilaquiles in SD)

956 Garnet Ave

San Diego, CA

Phone: (858) 483-7350

I heard the Old Town State Park restaurants are changing - Casa de Pico, etc. - for new ownership or something?

Guess you can tell I lived in PB, Mission Hills/Hillcrest areas by the places I frequented. Still enjoy Rubios and Robertos too. As someone mentioned upthread, TJ is so close and there are great places to eat there (if you know where to go). And the bacon-wrapped hotdogs are fabulous... just choose your street vendor wisely.

Sitting on the fence between gourmet and gourmand, I am probably leaning to the right...

Lyle P.

Redwood City, CA

A bit further north, been there for 30+ years:

Anita's

309 South Coast Highway

Oceanside, CA

760-722-6323

I grew up on this place, until I moved into San Diego proper. My Dad still eats there and was the place that my family went to after my Mom's funeral last October as it was her favorite.