• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Piña Colada

jaybee

I am guessing it's a reference to the Tom Cruise character in the movie Cocktail.

Anyway, I would ditch the piña colada idea and learn how to make an Old Fashioned a la Ryan Gosling.

Minimal equipment required* and she will be impressed, guaranteed.

* photoshopped abs excluded

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 1

While I agree with the posters above, If these really are your only three options, and you are dead set on a Piña Colada, I would say either of the first two options should be serviceable.

Putting a bar made drink in the fridge or freezer will likely cause the coconut cream in the drink to solidify, leaving you with a very unpleasant concoction.

The pre mixed bottled cocktails are usually pretty bad, but I would guess I would not matter much with a classic Piña Colada.

If you go the rum and mixer route, just choose a nice solid white rum. My standard is Cruzan, which is very cheap, and I have always found to have a pleasant flavor. Other will have different recommendations.

However, if you are willing to put in just a bit more work, I agree with dan up thread about shaking the ingredients. this will be far superior to the other alternatives.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies. 

I plunged ahead despite the warnings above. I got some Finest Call mix. I figured Bacardi white was pretty neutral, so I bought a pint of that. I bought hurricane glasses, straws and little umbrellas. A few hours before our meet I got some pineapple wedges and cherries from a nearby nightclub. I got ice from the hotel ice machine and crushed it in a plastic baggie. 

I measured the ingredients into a glass jar, shook them to mix, assembled the drink, and she was delighted. She had four, so I guess she was happy, and so was I. ;)