• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: zilla369 - Derby Eats, Derby Week: Louisville, KY

Okay. Also today, we had a tasting (clients came to the Bistro to taste the food

they are considering ordering) for a wedding party coming up. The bride is Indian. She wanted to include at least one of her native foods in the reception menu.

Her choice was “samosas”. It’s a filling wrapped in puff pastry. I’d never attempted any Indian food before today. I had to PM Monica Bhide in a panic, because the recipe the client e-mailed to me included “exotic” things like green chutney and tamarind chutney.

People, this is an example of how eGullet can enrich your life. Imagine being able to PM an expert and get an instant answer in reply. Props to Monica.

The filling in the recipe called for potatoes, peas, cumin seed, “fresh green chiles”, and cayenne.

gallery_28660_3_3691.jpg

gallery_28660_3_6759.jpg

Fortunately, I have a pretty good affinity for working with frozen puff pastry. We made laminated puff pastry from scratch a couple times in culinary school, but really – there’s no need to go there, at least 99% of the time. Frozen puff pastry is one of the most useful convenience products available to mankind.

Raw pastries, ready for baking:

gallery_28660_3_8506.jpg

Making the green chutney:

gallery_28660_3_31250.jpg

gallery_28660_3_5831.jpg

The finished sample:

gallery_28660_3_15325.jpg

As it turns out, the client and her mom really loved my samosas – with a caveat:

The mom told Chef I should mix the thai chili peppers into the pastry dough.

D’oh! Whoopsie - the dough is a frozen convenience product. So that’s gonna be sort of hard to accomplish.

Upon reflection, I realized I screwed up by putting the leaves and vines on the sample pastries for the tasting. That’s gonna come back to haunt me when the wedding rolls around and I have to make them for a couple hundred people.

Ah, well. That which does not kill me can only make me stronger….right?

It’s nighty-night time. I have to be at my second job, the bed and breakfast gig, tomorrow morning at 7 AM. So I will post more tomorrow. Tomorrow is the Oaks (Derby for the locals). I’ll expound more than you ever wanted, I’m sure. Tomorrow.

*yawn*

Foodblogging is hard work. But it's worth it :cool:

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

But my slight chocolate aversion pales in comparison to the loathing I have for watermelon. Any melon, actually. I’m not allergic. But it’s almost that strong of a negative reaction.

I can't stand melon, either. Even the smell puts me over the edge. Problem when I'm faced with fruit salads or fruit trays, as melon is almost always used as a less expensive filler item. I have *tried* to get over my dislike of all things melon, but just can't get over the taste. Hats off to you for wrestling the watermelon for two hours!

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Great blog!

I love the presentation of the samosas. How do you get the edges sealed? My filling always leaks out. And sometimes my pastry rises too much. How do you prevent the over-puffing?

Wowie, zowie. Congrats on the food styling gig! Sounds like it came through almost spontaneously, or did you sell yourself? Its awesome that you are getting paid to do what you love (Ok, except for the watermelon thing).

Confession: Next to apple, watermelon is my favorite Jolly Rancher flavor!

I love the Rhino/Ham! I can pick out faces and shapes in all kinds of objects so it is cool to see someone else has that bend as well!

For adding the pepper into the puff pastry, could you add chili oil or extract (juiced) from the peppers and combine it with the egg wash. Also, does the wedding product have to be exactly the same? You couldn't garnish with paper thin slices of pepper or something else (or nothing?)

Great blog! Don't think we aren't reading and enjoying!

Oh, Marsha... As someone else said, I hate to, um, Friday morning quarterback, but I wished you had consulted us before frustrating yourself with the watermelon. The simple solution is to blend the watermelon, seeds and all, and then strain through the china cap. For more details, here are some links to review for next time, if you can bring yourself to open another watermelon (I luv'em!)...

• 1)
Amazing Watermelon Facts, this post is my July 2003 Watermelon Primer. A year later we took pictures and I redid it as a pictorial.
2) Watermelon Sorbet
3) Problems with Ice Cream? (begins with Watermelon Ice Cream troubleshooting)

It's one A.M., and I just got home. My day started at 7 A.M., and tomorrow starts at 6:30 A.M.

I must have been out of my pea-pickin' mind to think I could keep up with this blog properly this week. I apologize for not posting more during these last couple days; I've worked 49 hours between Tuesday and Friday. And another marathon day is in the offing for tomorrow, the day of the big race.

Good news (or bad, depending on your point of view, I guess): I'll be off Sunday and Monday, so I'll be able to catch up on a lot of your questions and post a boatload of photos in a blaze of self-important glory before my blog ends Monday night. :cool:

But, even though I'm running on fumes, I know a lot of people are waiting for the Mint Julep tutorial, and the Race is tomorrow. So before I go to bed (or don't go to bed; I'm seriously considering just staying up) I'm going to post the Methode Mint Julep.

So y'all get your pencils ready.

Just want to let you know how much I am enjoying this blog! Your pictures are gorgeous, and the ones of Steak and Shake made me miss my college days, when we used to go late night. They have the best taco salad in the world! :) Unfortunately I think they are a Southern chain, no signs of any in New England.

Ahh, they are NOT a Southern chain. In fact, the original Steak n' Shake was located on the old Route 66, just south of what is now Bloomington, IL.

Yup. Also home of Beer Nuts.

Edited by Behemoth (log)

Hi Marsha-

Great blog. I've been swamped with work these days so I haven't been able to post as much as I would like in this thread.'

GO!!!!!

Edited by chefzadi (log)

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Marsha's Methode de Mint Julep

Hopefully, you've already done your shopping, per my post upthread. If not, you'll need:

Granulated white sugar

Lots of fresh mint

Water (tap water if your local tap water is good - otherwise, some good non-carbonated spring water)

Good bourbon(see my earlier note; please don't use Jack Daniels)

CRUSHED ice

Make a simple syrup of equal parts sugar and water, cooked gently over moderate heat until the sugar dissolves. Allow mixture to cool. How much syrup? That's up to you. Depends how much you think you're going to drink.

Pick several mint leaves and muddle them in the simple syrup. Refrigerate the mixture for as long as you can bear to wait. If I didn't have to work tomorrow, I'd perform the above steps tonight, or as soon as I got up in the morning.

Now, a silver julep cup is the preferred vessel for this concoction. That's because the crushed ice easily conducts cold through to the outside of the cup, forming a frost. The frost is a major component of the experience. By the way, if you have a tarnished old julep cup in a drawer somewhere (I certainly do), you can shine it up with a simple mixture of baking soda dampened with water.

If you don't have a julep cup, try a chimney glass. Or a jelly jar. Something with straight sides. (That advice aside, my roommate has been known to drink his juleps out of a viking drinking horn.) Don't, for Sanders' sake, use a martini glass.

We're going to create some layers.

In the bottom: a layer of crushed ice.

Then a layer of simple syrup.

More ice.

A glug of bourbon.

One more layer of ice.

Last layer of simple syrup.

Bourbon on top.

DO NOT STIR.

And don't be a girl about the mint garnish. Get a big, long, leafy stem that will reach from the bottom of your glass all the way to protruding at least a couple inches above the top. It's supposed to add an aromatic effect, and brush your nose while you sip.

Now, let it sit for about five minutes. This is the joy of the mint julep. The melting/melding effect. This is what you're after.

Commence to sippin'.

As you drink, and the level of liquid goes down, keep adding the layers. More ice. Then more syrup. A few minutes later, more bourbon. Keep it topped off. When done properly, there's no keeping track of how "many drinks" you've had; it's all one big drink. :wink:

I hope someone'll make juleps tomorrow and post their impressions. Like I said earlier, I only drink these one day of the year. It's a novelty, and should be treated as such. Please make sure you're safe somewhere and don't even think of driving. Hell, keep everything within reach and don't even think of walking.

Now, quick like bunnies - go get your julep mise together and learn the words to "My Old Kentucky Home"; they'll be singing it tomorrow right before the race.

Post time is 6:04 PM, EST. Tune in a few minutes early if you want to sing along. I'll check in with you tomorrow night, race fans.

And pray. For my sanity.

I'm not going to try making that drink (in fact, like you, I should be asleep now), but it sounds like something I might actually like. Oddly enough, I like mint in leaf form (the leaves themselves or as tea) but dislike anything otherwise mint-flavored (candy, jelly, etc.). I'm going to try to find out where I might be able to get the drink as you described it in my neck of the woods without making it myself.

Michael aka "Pan"

Note the funky horse.  That’s part of “Gallopalooza”, an urban art installation of about 200 hand-painted horse sculptures all over town.  Here’s a shot of the one outside our place:

gallery_28660_3_19728.jpg

Hey we have painted horses around Dubai too. Cool!

I'm really enjoying this blog. I don't know much about horse racing carnivals in the US but have just lived in Melbourne where the spring racing carnival is extreeeemely popular and now Dubai... Thanks!

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

Marsha, I am very grateful for your excellent mint julep recipe (which you should certainly put on RecipeGullet!). As a northerner, I can't claim the status of an expert, but I drink these babies all summer, and your recipe will get some good green-finger-stained use around this house. I'll second your advice about a hefty mint sprig: the bouquet off of that sprig is crucial to the drink's appeal.

My favorite part:

As you drink, and the level of liquid goes down, keep adding the layers.  More ice.  Then more syrup.  A few minutes later, more bourbon.  Keep it topped off.  When done properly, there's no keeping track of how "many drinks" you've had;  it's all one big drink.

Oh, the sun'll shine bright on my old Providence home....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

My favorite part:
As you drink, and the level of liquid goes down, keep adding the layers.  More ice.  Then more syrup.  A few minutes later, more bourbon.  Keep it topped off.  When done properly, there's no keeping track of how "many drinks" you've had;  it's all one big drink.

I was thinking the same thing as I read the recipe - gotta love a recipe that instructs you to keep on topping up :biggrin:

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Thanks zilla369 for the charming post and recipe for mint juleps.

I hope that when you're reading this post at the end of the day you are sipping a cool, frosty one as you kick up your feet and recount your last few busy days!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Homework: Everybody (in the appropriate time zones) - look up the Kentucky Derby and post what you think the most important Kentucky Derby foodstuffs are. This quiz will count toward your grade.

ohhh.... hot browns, derby pie, juleps made with maker's mark.

guess i'm going to have to stop by the store today and pick up some good bourbon and mint

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Now that is a good julep! :wub: I followed the recipe and YUMM-O! (ha-ha couldn't resist!) I had a julep years ago and it was too minty and too boozy. This is great sweet with the booze (and I get to control it). I imagine as you go through the day- as with many mixed drinks- it will get stronger and stronger :hmmm:

Thanks so much for the blog...yes, to affirm, you must be nuts to be doing this during this hectic week!!! BIG THANKS into the peek into your work/world!

This blog is wonderful, and I love the mint julep recipe. Thanks so much.

I'm off to dinner at the home of some friends, and we'll be watching the Derby. Host has promised to make mint juleps! I'm very excited, as I've never tasted them before. But he said he has his own recipe and refuses to be swayed by anyone else's. :sad: I'll be watching closely to see how similar his recipe is to yours. I do especially like your method of topping off the drinks. :wink:

May the best horse win!

Thanks for blogging, Marsha!

I love the South. I would love to visit Kentucky some day. Or move there. If I can find a job :hmmm:

Didn't you say you were moving, too? How's that going?

Erin

"American by birth, Irish by the grace of God"

Two hours to race time, folks. Pre-race coverage starts on NBC at 5PM.

Prop your feet up with a julep and tune in (all I know is that I want Steinbrenner's horse to lose... :raz: )

Here's an existing topic on race day eats, by the way, if you want to discuss your own home preparations or race day parties. Ironically, Marsha was the last person to post there. :laugh: I suspect most of us are happy to celebrate vicariously though her, but the topic is there if you need it.

We're also got a topic going for Mint Juleps, and I hope that some of the talk here can transition over there after this foodblog runs it's course.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Thank you very much for the mint julep recipe - even though we've been waging a war against the mint in the yard, I know better than to think we've won, and since we're going to be pulling up more mint over the summer, I hate to waste it. Sadly, it'll have to wait until then, since due to recent surgery I'm still off booze for a little bit longer :-(. But I can definitely see the potential :-).

I did enjoy watching the Derby - I shan't spoil things, just comment that I found it greatly entertaining, and hope others did too.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

So sorry about my lack of posting over the last day or so. Suffice it to say that I was NOT off work today as I thought I was going to be. Hours worked during this blog so far, Tuesday through Sunday evening: Seventy-three. In six days.

Now, back to my foodblog:

As I said earlier, I have a second job cooking at the Columbine Inn.

gallery_28660_3_17138.jpg

I help the owners cook and serve breakfast – usually only when they have more than eight guests (capacity: 13 guests, and two owners).

The Inn was built in 1896, as a gift from a local mahogany baron to his wife. From 1949-1990, it served as the main building of the Louisville Bible College. In 1994, it was renovated and transformed into a bed & breakfast.

I worked breakfast there this weekend – well, Thursday through Sunday. As busy as my week was, this gig seemed (as always) like vacation. The kitchen is very well equipped, and the owners are cool people that are fun to work for.

Blurry shot of the dining room:

gallery_28660_3_14705.jpg

Stained glass window in the stairwell landing:

gallery_28660_3_10599.jpg

Melon balls for breakfast martinis for Thursday morning's first course:

gallery_28660_3_9760.jpg

Derby morning breakfast: A take on eggs benedict, with Benedictine sauce in place of hollandaise, and country ham in place of Canadian bacon:

gallery_28660_3_2573.jpg

Also offered Derby morning: Toasted baguette slices with blackberry crème fraiche and “mint julep butter”. I started making mint julep butter at last year’s Derby breakfast at Columbine. I just flamed some bourbon and whipped it into softened butter along with some mint extract and confectioner’s sugar. Guests go nuts over this stuff. Of course, they’re usually in a heightened state of anticipation, since they’re always going to the track later that afternoon for the Race. So that probably works in my favor.

gallery_28660_3_5259.jpg

The owners recently bought this sweet, totally money KitchenAid belgian waffle maker:

gallery_28660_3_123.jpg

So, naturally, I had to give it a test drive. Nice last-morning breakfast for the Derby guests: Belgian waffle with fresh berries and the owners’ homemade buttermilk syrup:

gallery_28660_3_18040.jpg

Hot Browns being assembled yesterday for a Derby Day luncheon for 50:

gallery_28660_3_11662.jpg

gallery_28660_3_5063.jpg

After baking:

gallery_28660_3_24093.jpg

Please excuse me for my southern food ignorance Marsha, but what's a hot brown? So far I see bacon, eggs, tomatoes, cheese (?)... are there potatoes underneath all that goodness?

And your blog has been phenomenal, especially considering the astronomical number of hours you've worked during Derby week. Thanks for all your efforts!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Pam R’s foodblog two weeks ago featured the meringue dessert “pavlova”. I was excited to see her photos and glad she shared her recipe, because a high-dollar dinner party’s coordinator had seen a version of it on Food Network and requested that I make it for their group of 75. And I’d never heard of it before! Pam saved my lily-white southern ass.

Action shot of egg whites being whipped:

gallery_28660_3_12095.jpg

The initial sample:

gallery_28660_3_7687.jpg

I actually liked this better than the final product. But the catering director had rented ivory-colored dinner plates, and she asked for a lot more color on the meringue so it wouldn’t get lost on the plate. In addition, the sample was, admittedly – and I knew this before I submitted it – too big for an individual dessert.

Here are some shots of the revised dessert (the version that was ultimately served Friday night): Individual pavlovas with spring berries, edible flowers and whipped cream. I used my brulee torch to brown the meringues before baking.

gallery_28660_3_21790.jpg

gallery_28660_3_7931.jpg