• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: zilla369 - Derby Eats, Derby Week: Louisville, KY

I'm not so sure about the silver cups, though.

Well, you can definitely enjoy mint juleps without them. Just substitute a frosted glass for the silver julep cup. It's just that the silver julep cup maintains the cold a little longer.

Get ready for more pictures!

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Wouldn't it be too cool if they had a little tribute to the late H S Thompson at the track?  Maybe fly Steadman over from England for the occasion, reproduce the Scanlan's cover from way back when in about a Colonel Sanders-sized format?

Not that it'll happen...

(PS, Zilla, it's never officially spring in Canada until after Victoria Day, third weekend in May.  Except in the Vancouver area, anyway.)

That would be cool. But yeah, it won't happen. HST isn't exactly a beloved character among the old guard that coordinate All-Things-Derby around here.

Damn. I wanna visit Canada. I've never been!

So...first of all, i forgot to post yesterday's lunch:

gallery_28660_3_8029.jpg

Steak 'n Shake is an institution around here. It's open 24 hours - a distinction it shares with very few restaurants in Louisville.

I love their motivational mantra, though. All over the store, all over the condiment labels, is the phrase: "In sight, it must be right."

gallery_28660_3_9549.jpg

And they had "Heather" from the Blair Witch Project as their spokesmodel for a while. So they get brownie points from me for that.

If you've never experienced Steak 'n Shake...well... they cook their burgers ("Steakburgers") on the griddle. You know that little edge-of-a-tiny-bit-overdone part of a grilled burger? Well, steakburgers are basically a whole-bun-sized version of those crispy bits. The grill cooks smash the hell out of the square-form burger patties. That would normally be a big sin - but in this case it's integral to to process.

So I had coleslaw:

gallery_28660_3_15536.jpg

And a double steakburger with mayo, mustard, pickles and ketchup...shoestring french fries , and a "bean crock" (baked beans) on the side:

gallery_28660_3_3005.jpg

Afterwards, I just had to have a side-by-side shake, as did the roomie. This is his vanilla/orange side-by-sider, along with my mocha/vanilla side-by-sider.

gallery_28660_3_9140.jpg

Best hand-made fast food shakes on the planet. Make your head collapse upon commencement of straw-sucking.

So sleepy....

I'll try to get up early enough to catch up on photos. It'll have to be really early, though.

Never fear, race fans. You'll get the full effect of my photos this week no matter what day I post them. I'm envisioning a couple of "here's all the photos i didn't post earlier" entries.

Thanks to everyone who's read my blog so far. Stay tuned!

Hi Zilla,

So glad you're blogging Derby Week. When I lived in Louisville my ex was a TV sportscaster and he worked like crazy the entire week. I always tell people my favorite sport is the Kentucky Derby--a few minutes and I don't have to watch any more sports for a whole year.

During the 70's when I lived there, most of the entertaining was done in homes by the big hat ladies--locals--for their guests, while the totally opposite crowd was in the infield with beer and cut offs. I loved the way the entire city went into party mode for two weeks. In fact, I loved Louisville period.

I still make Benedictine, Derby Pie, Hot Browns and all those special vegetables the Colonel featured in his restaurant near Shelbyville. No juleps for me, can't stand mint.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Maybe I just like them because they make me thirsty and that's a good excuse to drink. I do have that "fast women" reputation to live up to after all.

"These beaten biscuits are making me thirsty!"

- Kramer at the Derby

What? Why I oughta sue...

This is what comes of not watching enough TV.

And there are people out there who don't own julep cups? And people who put powdered sugar in mint juleps?

Can you pee in the ocean?

And there are people out there who don't own julep cups? And people who put powdered sugar in mint juleps?

Hard to believe, I know. But true.

The julep-cup lackers are simply underpriveleged. The powdered-sugar crowd, on the other hand, are lazy slackers that should be beaten soundly. :cool:

Okay, here’s some quick pictures from yesterday, since I’m running behind again and have to leave in a few minutes. I should have more time to post tonight than I did yesterday, because – good news: I found out I’m going to get off at 5 pm today – hooray!

About my full-time job: It varies wildly, from the very fancy to the extremely mundane. For instance, one day I might have to make these:

gallery_28660_3_22311.jpg

…and the next day I might have to make these:

gallery_28660_3_395.jpg

Heh. Reality check: It’s not all tableside flambé and brulee torches, folks.

Breakfast yesterday:

gallery_28660_3_11360.jpg

See? I told you I drink a lot of water. I fill that thing up several times a day. Luckily our tap water in Louisville is fantastic-tasting. When people visit from out of town they almost always comment on it. It must be awful to live somewhere where the tap water is unpalatable.

When I got to work yesterday, I found out I needed corn muffins for 7 people in 20 minutes (along with dessert). Wait until you see this.

gallery_28660_3_5276.jpg

LOL! What the hell is going on here? It looks like some sort of muffin rebellion – or as if they were baked in a high wind. I swear I had the convection oven’s fan on low! Ah, well, good for a laugh. I managed to make them look somewhat edible, anyway:

gallery_28660_3_7549.jpg

Then I plated some apple pie:

gallery_28660_3_21926.jpg

Mmm. My apple pie will make ya jump up and say “Damn!”. And since I only needed seven pieces….that left one for me:

gallery_28660_3_19128.jpg

Damn!

Next week:  What do you get when you mix an ex-assistant pastry chef, French fries, gravy and cheese curds?  :wink:

I'm not sure.... but can I assume my French won't be good enough to follow the blog?

mmm... poutine.

I'm guessing Minnesota, not France.
I don't know much about the Derby (or Kentucky for that matter), is it like Ascot in Britain, where all the society ladies try to one-up each other with ridiculous hats and fancy outfits?

I don't know anything about Ascot, but it sounds exactly like Derby. The hats and the outfits and all.

Zilla, you know that scene in My Fair Lady, where's she's all dressed up at a horse race? One of her first forays into society... that was Ascot. Apparently, they still dress that way there today. :raz:

Did I mention that, in addition to everything else going on this week, my car’s on the fritz? So I’m bussing it this week. But that gives me a chance to take a few pictures on the way to work.

I live in a part of town known at “Schnitzelburg” – it was originally settled by German immigrants. There’s a neighborhood bar on just about every other corner.

gallery_28660_3_4813.jpg

Of course, since it’s on the way to work, it’s a little early, thank you. But coincidentally, that’s the way I take mine, too. So much smoooother than by injection or by enema.

Also on the bus-stop corner:

gallery_28660_3_7465.jpg

gallery_28660_3_11744.jpg

Check’s Café. Famous for their white bean soup. Otherwise unremarkable in the extreme.

The other corner features this place:

gallery_28660_3_14236.jpg

I’ve eaten there once. It was pretty okay, deli sandwiches and whatnot. But I’m a little worried about its chances for longevity. They’ve been open about eight months, and I never see anyone in there.

At the other end of the bus trip, I have to walk past our nearest fine-dining competition:

gallery_28660_3_6943.jpg

Swanky Italian joint. Fantastic food. And valet parking! They’re definitely one up on us in that department. Note the funky horse. That’s part of “Gallopalooza”, an urban art installation of about 200 hand-painted horse sculptures all over town. Here’s a shot of the one outside our place:

gallery_28660_3_19728.jpg

You know, I walk past this thing several times a day. And I will maintain until my dying breath that the mask should read “My Ears are My Eyes”, rather than the other way ‘round. It really bugs me. I feel sure the artist is staying up late nights, whispering both versions of the phrase to himself over and over and over….

Here’s a small flurry of pictures from yesterday; very little explanation needed. Feel free to ask questions, though.

gallery_28660_3_7525.jpg

My ginger snap cheesecake, prior to garnish with mint sprigs

gallery_28660_3_20675.jpg

Mini-dessert platters ready to be taken to the buffet

gallery_28660_3_5015.jpg

Domestic cheese display for 275 people

gallery_28660_3_4756.jpg

My famous (in the building, anyway) garlic herb and parmesan croutons.

Lunch yesterday: Hot right out of the oven yeast roll, with gouda and strawberries...

gallery_28660_3_11798.jpg

...along with a baby coke. I love these, because they are restricted to 8 oz of sugary goodness. Also, they somehow taste different than Coke from a plastic bottle or can. I once heard a rumor that they use a different formula or syrup/water ratio for these. But I don't have any direct evidence of that. Anyone know?

Rats! I gotta run for the bus. But I’ll see you tonight, race fans.

I'm guessing Minnesota, not France.

I was thinking Quebec more than france :biggrin:

Zilla,

I'm going out of town today and I'll have to read the rest of your blog after the fact. I just wanted to let you know that I'm enjoying your blog and say thanks. I look forward to catching up when I get home. :smile:

Wow, I guess for you to do a blog the week of the Kentucky Derby is sort of like Pam doing a blog the week before Passover. Nuts. Both of you. :wink: But I've always appreciated the offbeat. Many thanks for doing this.

Those dessert platters did indeed make me drool, especially as I'm sitting here with a cuppa, and no cake to wash it down. :sad:

I'm also avidly awaiting the mint julep recipe. Perhaps a bit of its history, too? How did it achieve its exalted place? I'm (still) reading "Foul Matter" by Martha Grimes, and just the other day came across this:

"The air was scented with mint, and they had attempted to track it to its source, but couldn't, until Ned, going up to the bar to get another drink, reported back that the bartender had a reputation for the best mint juleps just about anywhere, and customers from Kentucky, Georgia, and the Carolinas pronounced this to be true. Then they had all ordered mint juleps and had gone to the bar to sit on stools and watch them being made. It was a prodigious undertaking, and no wonder they cost more than twice as much as any other drink."

I never knew it was "a prodigious undertaking" to make a mint julep. (Ignorant fool that I am, I always thought it was "just another drink.") So between the above paragraph and, especially, your blog, I can hardly wait to learn!

I live in a part of town known at “Schnitzelburg” – it was originally settled by German immigrants. There’s a neighborhood bar on just about every other corner.

Doggone it, Marsha- that nostalgic feeling that I mentioned earlier has just been kicked into high gear. That's my mom's old neighborhood, and a great one at that! My dad used to hang out at Flabby's. We got out butter kuchens ( the bestest coffee cake in the world, with a gooey butter topping) at Heitzman's, just down the street from Check's Cafe if I remember correctly. Geez- I hope that they still make them.

Out of curiosity- have you ever run into the Louisville way of serving chili (which is essentially the same as Cincinnati style with the spaghetti and all, except there's no Greek slant to the spicing)? I think it's one of those regional things that isn't really known outside of its region. Or it could be a family thing, but I don't think so.

Your desserts do look fabulous, btw. (I'll just pretend I didn't see the wind tunnel muffins :hmmm: - but, hey- it's all in the taste, anyway). Now I have two places to get cakes and pastries the next time I'm in town.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

The natives pronounce it "Loo-uh-vull" - accent on the first syllable.

While I'm a local, (lo, these 24 years), I'm not a native.  So I still commit the sin of pronouncing it "Loo-ee-vill".

I worked with a guy from Kentucky whose favorites joke was to ask:

"Loo-ee-vil? or "Loo-uh-vul"? How do you pronounce the capital of Kentucky?

So, the Rube (aka "me") replied "Loo-ee-vil"...

to which the smart ass would reply, "That's funny. We always pronounce the capital of Kentucky as 'Hart-ford' "! :laugh::angry:

Regarding this past dessert discussion, I'm assuming everything went well. From your pics and posts, it looks like you ended up doing great.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Your desserts look fabulous.

In your Steak & Shake photo, what's in the bottle to the right of the picture? It looks like a bottle of yellow pickles.

pickled hot peppers in vinegar. the top has a little hole in it and you shake out the spicy vinegar on things, leaving the hot peppers in the bottle. it's especially good on greens.

I LOVE Steak 'n Shake, Marsha. My Dad lives in Missouri and it's a big deal there too.

Also, those croutons are killing me. I have a jones for great croutons.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

mint juleps, derby pie, and somehow I think recall hearing about benedictine sandwiches/canapes...

edited for sp correction...

Decided to follow up on my recollections on Derby fare wtih a little googling as suggested by zilla369...

The menus/dishes vary whether you're throwing a brunch, a lunch or more of a bbq... One dish that came up a few times was:

Grilled steak or stuffed beef tenderloin served with Henry Bains Sauce... The sauce is apparently similar to a "Jezebel Sauce" and one recipe here has the following ingredients:

1 (18 ounce) jar peach preserves

1 (18 ounce) jar orange marmalade

1 (18 ounce) jar apple preserves

1 (18 ounce) jar pineapple preserves

5/8 cup ground dry mustard

1 (4 ounce) jar prepared horseradish

The link has a few suggested menus as well.

Other dishes mentioned in a few diffrent places are cheese grits, sometimes in casserole form. Also dishes with spring fruits and vegetables like strawberries and asparagus.

Saw a few mentions of bourbon-based dishes like Bourbon Glazed Short Ribs and Bourbon Balls; maybe these are newer trends?

Thanks for the nice photos of older Lousiville as well as of your delicious looking petit fours, cakes and cookies... Hmm... and I vicariously enjoyed your lunch at Steak and Shake!

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

"Loo-ee-vil?  or "Loo-uh-vul"?  How do you pronounce the capital of Kentucky?

to which the smart ass would reply, "That's funny.  We always pronounce the capital of Kentucky as 'Hart-ford' "! :laugh:  :angry:

Yeah. Or "Frank-fort".

Can you pee in the ocean?

"Loo-ee-vil?  or "Loo-uh-vul"?  How do you pronounce the capital of Kentucky?

to which the smart ass would reply, "That's funny.  We always pronounce the capital of Kentucky as 'Hart-ford' "! :laugh:  :angry:

Yeah. Or "Frank-fort".

DOH! Thanks for the corrected punchline.

I need to get out more...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Zilla,

I'm going out of town today and I'll have to read the rest of your blog after the fact. I just wanted to let you know that I'm enjoying your blog and say thanks.  I look forward to catching up when I get home.  :smile:

Pam, thank you. I was in awe of your blog during your busy week. It was inspirational!

Tomorrow I'm going to attempt one of Pam's very own recipes (which she graciously pm'd me) - pavlova, a special request from a client. I'm sure I won't be able to do it justice, but knowing I have good recipe to start with is a comfort.

I'm (still) reading "Foul Matter" by Martha Grimes, and just the other day came across this:

"The air was scented with mint, and they had attempted to track it to its source, but couldn't, until Ned, going up to the bar to get another drink, reported back that the bartender had a reputation for the best mint juleps just about anywhere, and customers from Kentucky, Georgia, and the Carolinas pronounced this to be true. Then they had all ordered mint juleps and had gone to the bar to sit on stools and watch them being made. It was a prodigious undertaking, and no wonder they cost more than twice as much as any other drink."

I never knew it was "a prodigious undertaking" to make a mint julep. (Ignorant fool that I am, I always thought it was "just another drink.") So between the above paragraph and, especially, your blog, I can hardly wait to learn!

Lovely quote :smile:

I will get to the julep history/recipe, I promise. I'm aiming for Friday.

If you're shopping for ingredients, get the freshest, most beautiful mint you can find; cut the bottoms off the stems and stick the bunch in a glass of water and put it on a shelf in the fridge. Keep it away from the bottom of the freezer and away from any blowing fan - the cold will kill it. You'll need granulated sugar, and good water - buy spring water if your tap water isn't up to par.

And you'll need ice. Lots and lots of ice. CRUSHED ice. You must, must have CRUSHED ice. It's absolutely integral to the structure of the drink. Beg, borrow, steal - get crushed ice!

Most importantly, spring for a bottle of decent bourbon. Naturally, i prefer Maker's Mark :cool: - but any decent bourbon will do.

A caution: please do not use Jack Daniels unless you're trapped in an underground labyrinth and can't get any other type of whisky. Jack Daniels (while it has its charms for some, I know) is filtered through charcoal, which gives it a distinctive flavor that, in my opinion, works against, rather than with, the taste of mint.

I live in a part of town known as “Schnitzelburg” – it was originally settled by German immigrants. There’s a neighborhood bar on just about every other corner.

Doggone it, Marsha- that nostalgic feeling that I mentioned earlier has just been kicked into high gear. That's my mom's old neighborhood, and a great one at that! My dad used to hang out at Flabby's. We got out butter kuchens ( the bestest coffee cake in the world, with a gooey butter topping) at Heitzman's, just down the street from Check's Cafe if I remember correctly. Geez- I hope that they still make them.

Michael - I'm going to take a picture of Flabby's (Famous Fried Chicken) just for you in the morning. I live only one short block away!

The picture of "La Petit Patisserie" upthread? That used to be Heitzman's Bakery (they of the transcendant butter kuchen). Heitzman's still has locations all over town, though, so don't fret.

Out of curiosity- have you ever run into the Louisville way of serving chili (which is essentially the same as Cincinnati style with the spaghetti and all, except there's no Greek slant to the spicing)? I think it's one of those regional things that isn't really known outside of its region. Or it could be a family thing, but I don't think so.

I'll be honest. I find most Kentucky restaurant chilis to be insipid offerings. We have a few "Skyline Chili"s here, but that's Cincinnati-style. And I've never been a fan of pasta in the bottom of my chili bowl. Less room for chili!

Louisville's just not a chili town *sigh*. I certainly can make better at home!

Your desserts look fabulous.

In your Steak & Shake photo, what's in the bottle to the right of the picture? It looks like a bottle of yellow pickles.

pickled hot peppers in vinegar. the top has a little hole in it and you shake out the spicy vinegar on things, leaving the hot peppers in the bottle. it's especially good on greens.

And that's exactly right, MBJ. The aperture in the top is too tiny to get a pepper out of.

That didn't stop me from getting one out and eating it, though. God bless opposable thumbs! Pretty hot (the pepper, not my thumbs). :blush:

I don't really know what kind of peppers they are, though. Label just said "peppers" in the ingredient list.

I LOVE Steak 'n Shake, Marsha.  My Dad lives in Missouri and it's a big deal there too.

Yay, Steak 'n Shake! Missouri, huh? I wonder how widespread they are....anyone any further afield have Steak 'n Shake in your hometown?