• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: zilla369 - Derby Eats, Derby Week: Louisville, KY

I'm going to have to guess burgoo- I don't have any recent experience with eating it myself, but I've heard that they substitute more common types of meat in it nowadays.

I'm loving this blog, BTW! It's getting me all nostalgic. My mom is from Louisville and, even though I grew up in the NYC area, I spent a lot of my childhood summers down there. Oooh, what I'd give for a proper Butter Kuchen right now...

running out the door to the bus, but - Michael, I love burgoo! I'm not making it this week (far as I know, anyway), but I'd sure like to have some to eat. Maybe I can work in the consumption of it, if not the preparation.

Have good days, all!

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

In typical Derby Week fashion, I’m gearing up here for several 14-to-16-hour days in a row this week.  I’m also in the middle of moving house from one part of town to another.  And as if that weren’t enough to keep me busy, I offered - in a bourbon-induced moment of temporary insanity, to be sure – to be eGullet’s foodblogger for Derby Week. 

Yer crazy.

Good luck! I'm already enjoying - looking forward to more.

Wow, fantastic start - this is going to be a great blog! I'm excited about your Mint Julep recipe - I've been wanting to try making them for some time, but they're really just not the kind of thing you want to drink in the middle of a dark Canadian winter. :raz:

I don't know much about the Derby (or Kentucky for that matter), is it like Ascot in Britain, where all the society ladies try to one-up each other with ridiculous hats and fancy outfits?

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Does the Kentucky Derby tend to reinforce the traditional preparation of the local favorites or if is is a time to experiement or reinterpret the cocktails or cuisine (either to be creative or just to appeal to tourists).

For example, with all the tourists in town are bartenders mixing the Julep-tini or other (and likely worse) drink that is perhaps reminiscent of the Mint Julep but appeals to folks who think Bourbon isn't for the young an hip.

Some sort of high-end deconstructed Hot Browns?

Country ham on a stick?

Just curious.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

I think beaten biscuits are overrated, don't you?  Dry, mealy anemic little disks of so-what.

Weirdly enough I really like beaten biscuits. They are, indeed, a very odd comestible, but I really like the contrast with country ham (the baked sort, thinly sliced) and find both the flavor (or lack thereof) and texture compelling.

Maybe I just like them because they make me thirsty and that's a good excuse to drink. I do have that "fast women" reputation to live up to after all.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Holy Hannah, what a great tour! I love Makers Mark! That was a treat. Say, Marsha isn't there a camp of Julep makers that marinate some ingredients for a day or more to get the "right" mix? Should we get started so it's ready for post-time? Oh, and yeah, you are crazy!

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I have been working at a racetrack for the last 23 years and Kentucky Derby, even here on the west coast of B.C., is a busy busy day. People just love the big races. We always hope for a horse to win both Kentucky and then Preakness, so it sets the stage for a triple crown winner.

Some rocket scientist in our marketing dept. has seen fit to also make the day an "asian festival" day, so menu planning has been interesting to say the least!!

How about that mint julip recipe? and bourbon on the bread pudding......good stuff.

I am pretty new but just wanted to tell you that your blog has started out so wonderfully. IMHO the more pictures the better and yours are great, as some of us don't have great imaginations so it helps us visualize your words. Speaking of pictures, that "butter" lettuce at the farmer's market is BEAUTIFUL. It is my favorite, although I can hardly ever find it in my local stores. Bourban and Butter lettuce, I think I might be ready to move to Kentucky.

Next week:  What do you get when you mix an ex-assistant pastry chef, French fries, gravy and cheese curds?  :wink:

I'm not sure.... but can I assume my French won't be good enough to follow the blog?

mmm... poutine.

Wow, fantastic start - this is going to be a great blog! I'm excited about your Mint Julep recipe - I've been wanting to try making them for some time, but they're really just not the kind of thing you want to drink in the middle of a dark Canadian winter. :raz:

I don't know much about the Derby (or Kentucky for that matter), is it like Ascot in Britain, where all the society ladies try to one-up each other with ridiculous hats and fancy outfits?

Lexy, I understand not wanting to try mint juleps in the middle of winter. But it's spring again!

You know what's odd, and I know I'm not alone here... I never, ever drink, order, or even consider wanting a mint julep except during Derby Week.

I'll be posting the proper recipe later this week. The poor mint julep gets abused all the time - even at Churchill Downs, they make a hideous bastardized quickie version to serve to the masses.

I don't know anything about Ascot, but it sounds exactly like Derby. The hats and the outfits and all.

Luckily I know what I'll be wearing Saturday. Chef's whites. And a toque - so that makes me technically legal, hat-wise. :wink:

Does the Kentucky Derby tend to reinforce the traditional preparation of the local favorites or if is is a time to experiement or reinterpret the cocktails or cuisine (either to be creative or just to appeal to tourists).

For example, with all the tourists in town are bartenders mixing the Julep-tini or other (and likely worse) drink that is perhaps reminiscent of the Mint Julep but appeals to folks who think Bourbon isn't for the young an hip.

Some sort of high-end deconstructed Hot Browns?

Country ham on a stick?

Just curious.

Great questions.

I would say that, as far as food goes, tradition is the way. The tourists want the traditional preparations, and the locals that are hosting out-of-town guests want their friends to get the traditional experience. Although I'm sure that somewhere in town, some swelled-headed recent culinary graduate is putting their own spin on things. It's tempting.

As a matter of fact, you'll see me coming at it from a different direction later this week. I'm going to prepare a traditional dish and give it a Derby spin at the bed and breakfast I work at part time. But that's not as much of a sacrelige as the other way 'round, if you see what I mean.

As for cocktails, a good Louisville bartender has the traditionals down pat, but they also create all sorts of crazy "Derby-themed" drinks. I'll try to document some of them later in the blog.

Hmm....country ham on a stick. Interesting idea....

Fantastic blog Zilla. Lovely photos of the farmer's market.

Can you phonetically spell out how the locals pronounce Louisville?

Thanks, touaregsand!

And, yes I can. The natives pronounce it "Loo-uh-vull" - accent on the first syllable.

While I'm a local, (lo, these 24 years), I'm not a native. So I still commit the sin of pronouncing it "Loo-ee-vill".

Maybe I just like them because they make me thirsty and that's a good excuse to drink. I do have that "fast women" reputation to live up to after all.

"These beaten biscuits are making me thirsty!"

- Kramer at the Derby

Does this mean Hot Brown is going to make an appearance in this blog? I've read about it, but never seen a picture (hint, hint...)

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Holy Hannah, what a great tour!  I love Makers Mark!  That was a treat.  Say, Marsha isn't  there a camp of Julep makers that marinate some ingredients for a day or more to get the "right" mix?  Should we get started so it's ready for post-time?  Oh, and yeah, you are crazy!

Nah, you don't need to start more than a couple hours ahead. But if you want to be well-prepared, you can make your simple syrup the day before (equal parts sugar and water, heated until the sugar dissolves). Some people muddle a few mint leaves in the syrup, or make a mint extract by steeping mint leaves in a few ounces of bourbon for about 15 minutes, rinse, repeat.

The main rule of my blog is: if you try to put powdered sugar in your mint julep, or buy a "pre-mixed" bottle of juleps (even the Maker's Mark brand!) you're off my "A" list.

Any purists out there might want to make sure they have a couple of sterling silver julep cups in the freezer in preparation for the big day.

I have been working at a racetrack for the last 23 years and Kentucky Derby, even here on the west coast of B.C., is a busy busy day. People just love the big races. We always hope for a horse to win both Kentucky and then Preakness, so it sets the stage for a triple crown winner.

Some rocket scientist in our marketing dept. has seen fit to also make the day an "asian festival" day, so menu planning has been interesting to say the least!!

How about that mint julip recipe? and bourbon on the bread pudding......good stuff.

Yes, the mint julep recipe is definitely coming later this week. I'm even going to make "mint julep butter" for breakfast at the Inn on Saturday.

Bread pudding is a beautiful thing. It's a great way to utilize leftover bread to make a fabulous dessert that is almost universally loved. My favorite is the eggnog bread pudding I make every holiday season. Just substitute eggnog for the cream in any bread pudding recipe.

I am pretty new but just wanted to tell you that your blog has started out so wonderfully. IMHO the more pictures the better and yours are great, as some of us don't have great imaginations so it helps us visualize your words.  Speaking of pictures, that "butter" lettuce at the farmer's market is BEAUTIFUL. It is my favorite, although I can hardly ever find it in my local stores. Bourban and Butter lettuce, I think I might be ready to move to Kentucky.

Thanks for the kind words about my pictures, TMus. If you only knew how many dozens of shots I have taken and discarded to get just those few acceptable ones I'm posting in this blog, you'd laugh.

Move to Kentucky? I highly recommend it. I was a military brat and have lived in many parts of the country, but settled here 24 years ago and I've really enjoyed it.

Can I assume "Derby" pie will play a part in this blog :wink: ?

Oh, yes. So large a part that day after tomorrow we'll visit the Derby-Pie production facility, and you'll also see examples of my Derby-Pie food-styling.

Does this mean Hot Brown is going to make an appearance in this blog? I've read about it, but never seen a picture (hint, hint...)

I'll definitely take a picture of a hot brown for you later this week. I must warn you, though...a hot brown's not a naturally photogenic subject. It's broiled in a rarebit dish, and a photograph will only show the top of the open-faced sandwich slathered in mornay sauce and browned. But I'll include it, nonetheless!

You know what's odd, and I know I'm not alone here... I never, ever drink, order, or even consider wanting a mint julep except during Derby Week.

Interesting. You're not the first person from those parts I've heard say that. Perhaps it's because of the whole tourist thing. Or because they're generally so poorly made in tourist situations.

And it's a shame, because it's really a great drink. And it doesn't always have to be bourbon either (I know some people from Kentucky will gasp at hearing this, but from a historical standpoint it's true). And, of course, you don't have to stop with mint (basil is a nice addition from time to time). Rye whiskey is good, and I like Dave Wondrich's julep recipe using cognac and a float of high proof rum. Lately I've been enjoying "New Jersey Juleps" made with Laird's 100 proof bonded applejack. Believe it or not, a gin julep is pretty good, too.

--

The poor mint julep gets abused all the time - even at Churchill Downs, they make a hideous bastardized quickie version to serve to the masses.

My first, and last one (btw), was one of those. This year marks the 20th anniversary, actually :wink: I think I'm ready for another try. How's this Saturday sound? I look forward to your recipe and promise to do it justice. I'm not so sure about the silver cups, though.

I don't know anything about Ascot, but it sounds exactly like Derby. The hats and the outfits and all.

I seem to recall a certain 'lack of outfits', myself. Maybe I got caught up with the wrong crowd :cool:

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Interesting. You're not the first person from those parts I've heard say that. Perhaps it's because of the whole tourist thing. Or because they're generally so poorly made in tourist situations.

And it's a shame, because it's really a great drink. And it doesn't always have to be bourbon either (I know some people from Kentucky will gasp at hearing this, but from a historical standpoint it's true). And, of course, you don't have to stop with mint (basil is a nice addition from time to time). Rye whiskey is good, and I like Dave Wondrich's julep recipe using cognac and a float of high proof rum. Lately I've been enjoying "New Jersey Juleps" made with Laird's 100 proof bonded applejack. Believe it or not, a gin julep is pretty good, too.

Blasphemer! :biggrin:

A 1936 copy of Irvin S. Cobb's Own Recipe Book (written for Frankfort Distilleries) states: "But my grandfather always insisted that a man who would let the crushed leaves and the mangled stemlets steep in the finished decoction would put scorpions in a baby's bed."

He goes on to further state,"...well, down our way we've always had a theory that the Civil War was not brought on by Secession or Slavery or the State's Rights issue. These matters contributed to the quarrel, but there is a deeper reason. It was brought on by some Yankee coming down south and putting nutmeg in a julep. So our folks just up and left the Union flat."

"New Jersey Juleps". For shame, Sam.

Wouldn't it be too cool if they had a little tribute to the late H S Thompson at the track? Maybe fly Steadman over from England for the occasion, reproduce the Scanlan's cover from way back when in about a Colonel Sanders-sized format?

Not that it'll happen...

(PS, Zilla, it's never officially spring in Canada until after Victoria Day, third weekend in May. Except in the Vancouver area, anyway.)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning