• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Canuck Foodie in Seattle

My wife & I are coming down to Seattle May 13-15, and we'll be staying at The Inn at Queen Anne (505 First Ave North). We'd prefer not to drive anywhere as we intend to consume a bottle or two of local grape ... although short cab rides are OK.

Based on some of the more recent threads, here's a short list:

• Brasa (I hear Happy Hour is worthwhile :smile: )
  • Cascadia
  • Lola
  • Lark

We're not looking to break the bank (hell, we're still paying 25 cents on the dollar!) but want something "nice." Anything we're missing or that shouldn't be on the list? Tapas, small plates, martinis, local wine/ingredients ... all a plus..

Thanks in advance.

A.

Crow is fantastic! Next door is a good bar- The Great Nabob. Also there is a place on Mercer called 10 Mercer (also the address) that makes great drinks and has nice food. Also on lower queen anne is the Sitting Room, great french bar with panini.

Pesos has a 'hangover breakfast' that is pretty good and 'Downfall' ('Der Untergang') is playing at the old theater, The Uptown also on lower QA.

I highly recommend taking the short cab ride to Ballard (10 min) and checking out the new gem of the city- Volterra. They've now been open nearly 3 weeks and I'm almost embarassed to say that I've been there 4 times. However, once was for Sunday brunch last weekend.

Incredible, authentic Italian with Tuscan specialities and the ambiance is gorgeous. Michelle (Chef Don Curtiss' wife) designed the light fixtures and they were carved from alabaster by artists in Volterra. The glow at night is unbelievable. Best italian food in Seattle.

My other suggestions based on where you are staying: Kaspar's (longtime fave), Crow, drinks at 10 Mercer, and Lark (probably a 15-20 min cab) & they don't take rez.

Friday the 13th at Brasa, huh? I'll keep my eyes open.

I second the suggestions for Crow and The Sitting Room. Both are on Queen Anne and should be walking distance. The cocktails at The Sitting Room and the food and atmosphere at Crow are fabulous. Be sure to go to Crow a little later in the evening to avoid the "show" crowd.

Can't speak to Volterra as I haven't been but, if you do go, be sure to check out Portalis when you are there. It's a small wine bar across the street from Volterra with a great vibe and fun wines to try.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

You simply MUST go to Matt's in the Market while here. Excellent chow for a reasonable price and plenty of charm to go with it. Make a ressie now. I'd suggest lunch on Saturday. (Or lunch on Friday if you are here that early).

I'll watch the ISO...

edit to add: Matt's in the Market, 94 Pike St, 206-467-7909

Edited by malarkey (log)

Born Free, Now Expensive

i'll second Matt's, and add Zoe and Union to that list. plus Shiki, which should be in walking distance. (Though as BCers, you've no doubt got a high bar for sushi.) Crow is OK, since you're in the nabe for it.

skip Lola and Cascadia; not worth your time. i don't think Brasa's worth it either these days, but you may want to investigate.

and i'll avoid my usual words of caution about Lark; too many fans in these parts (meaning eG) and the hype has surpassed anything i could say about it.

I have to confess to a vice :blush: . at the top of Queen Anne Hill is the 5 Spot, open fairly late, nothing spectacular about the food except one thing. FRIED GREEN TOMATOES!! Cornmeal dusted and fried in bacon drippings, need I say more? If you happen to go to the top of the hill and you get a hankering for a plate of bad for you, then this might fit the bill.

Rocky

If you don't make it to the 5 Spot for late night, their breakfasts are pretty freaking good (and BIG). It's at the top of Queen Anne Hill though, which is a very big hill (and your hotel is at the bottom). You can catch a bus (#2 or #13) across the street from your hotel that'll get you there in 5 minutes -- get off at Galer Street.

Also at the top of the hill is Sapphire Kitchen and Bar, a little bit north of the 5 Spot. I love it for dessert (plus a nice selection of ports and dessert wines), but their southern European/Mediterranean-style dinner menu is great, too. Oh yeah, and tapas! They've got a nice melty manchego cheese one who name, in Spanish, roughly translates to "white hot cheese of love." YUM!

If you want to skip the bus, a cab ride would be about $6, and walking back down the hill is doable (except in high heels).

Edited by dandelion (log)

Hey there. I'm also a Canuck, and I'll be in Seattle next week looking for a good fish/seafood meal on Wednesday night. I'm also staying downtown (Red Lion) and I have the same parameters -- needs to be central, and not overly expensive.

However, I really want FISH or SEAFOOD. Do any of the places previously mentioned specialize in seafood?

Also, are there nice restaurants in the Pike Place Market area, or are they all sort of "market restaurants?" If nice, any recommendations? Thanks!

e

d

++++++++++++++++++++++

Read More Blog!

http://blork.typepad.com

Hi Blork, welcome to eGullet!

Flying Fish is pretty seafood centric (Belltown) and Matt's in the Market.. which is......drumroll please: "in the Market" :rolleyes: usually has great seafood dishes on their menu. Actually, there's lots of good eats in the Market. Cafe Campagne, Maximillians, Matt's... All turn out good seafood dishes. Oh and there's Etta's too, a Tom Douglas establishment that focuses on seafood. For classic seafood prep (i.e., crab with drawn butter, a huge variety of oysters on the half shell) try Elliott's on the waterfront, just down from the market. There's also Oceanaire, which is downtown (west of the market) but I've not eaten there so I can't testify- but they are totally seafood centric.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Arne - Restaurant Zoe and the Palace Kitchen are favourites of ours whenever we are in Seattle. I have not been in a couple of years - are they still good ?

I certainly don’t walk into foreign restaurants with the insouciant swagger of a big-time chef like Neil, but I have to ask what the deal is about Palace Kitchen. The big deal that is. Sure, it was alright for a quick beer and a snack at the bar (although we’ve done that much better in Seattle too), but the several meals I’ve eaten there were completely indifferent—both in service and food. Am I missing something? You see, I was seeking swagger, but got only beige.

Anyway, Arne, one of the answers to your question is to give Jonathan Sundstrom a call at Lark--one of the cleanest chefs cooking in the PNW.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Arne

Although it doesn't get the buzz of some previous recommendations, Perche No is just up the street from your hotel and we found it quite good 2 + years ago while also staying in Queen Anne. Somewhat of an anachronism being an oriental owned Italian venue, but well prepared fare.

Thanks everyone for the rec's so far! Make sure you pop into the Vancouver, BC & Western Canada forum anytime you're up our way so I can return the favour!

I forgot that I had already boomarked The Sitting Room ... place looks pretty inviting, and it's MUCH closer to the hotel (not an issue, but nice). I'm thinking The Sitting Room instead of Brasa.

I think we'll pass on Lark this time for the simple reason that Crow is MUCH closer (again, not an issue, but nice :laugh: ). Did I mention we LIKE walking ... just not that far :wink: ?

Does Crow do reservations? If not, when's the best time to go.

Outside of that, I think Matt's is in order, as will be 10 Mercer as we've done it before and really liked it ... good sized martinis! Speaking of which ... what's the poop on Tini Big's? Saw it on some schlocky Top 5 show on FN and thought it looked kitchy enough to be interesting.

Thanks again

A.

I forgot that I had already boomarked The Sitting Room ... place looks pretty inviting, and it's MUCH closer to the hotel (not an issue, but nice).  I'm thinking The Sitting Room instead of Brasa on Friday night.  Thoughts?  I'm good either way.

The cocktails at The Sitting Room are fantastic as is the ambiance but not so much in the way of food. They usually offer a bruschetta, a cheese plate, a salad and a soup. It's dark and cozy and romantic (that said, I'm usually in there with my girlfriends - not my husband!). It is quite smoky, in case that is an issue for you.

Oh, and yes, Crow does take reservations. I think I mentioned it before but be sure to go at 8 PM or later to miss the pre-show crowd.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I like Tini Bigs quite a bit, it can get pretty loud though, and is fairly smoky if that bothers you. They do a good job with their drinks and I am trying to make my way through the entire list of martinis. They also have a nice selection of all types of whisk(e)y and cognac, with cigars to match.

Rocky

Edited by rockdoggydog (log)

Arne - Restaurant Zoe and the Palace Kitchen are favourites of ours whenever we are in Seattle. I have not been in a couple of years - are they still good ?

I certainly don’t walk into foreign restaurants with the insouciant swagger of a big-time chef like Neil, but I have to ask what the deal is about Palace Kitchen. The big deal that is. Sure, it was alright for a quick beer and a snack at the bar (although we’ve done that much better in Seattle too), but the several meals I’ve eaten there were completely indifferent—both in service and food. Am I missing something? You see, I was seeking swagger, but got only beige.

Anyway, Arne, one of the answers to your question is to give Jonathan Sundstrom a call at Lark--one of the cleanest chefs cooking in the PNW.

Mr Maw, that is not a swagger, it is usually a stagger. Joan and I only have ever sat at the bar ( the non - smoking side ) late night after a night on the town and perhaps two dinners. I have not eaten a full meal there but have always ordered lots of the small plates, and plenty of drink. It is usually at that point that I feel I am able to rise to the challange of drinking the world dry. My wife lets me , giving me enough rope so that if the Lord does not open the Earth and swallow me whole, I may hang myself and end my terrible hangover. We usually stay at the Warwick or the Claremont so the PK is not to far for her to guide me back to the hotel.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Thanks for the tips! I think I'm going to go for the Flying Fish. I might even make a meal of appetizers! If time permits I'll also try Matt's.

On Monday night I'm scheduled to go to Mamma's in Belltown for Mexican. I was there 9 years ago and it seemed pretty good. Is it still up to standard, or is there a better option now?

e

d

++++++++++++++++++++++

Read More Blog!

http://blork.typepad.com

Thanks for the tips! I think I'm going to go for the Flying Fish. I might even make a meal of appetizers! If time permits I'll also try Matt's.

On Monday night I'm scheduled to go to Mamma's in Belltown for Mexican. I was there 9 years ago and it seemed pretty good. Is it still up to standard, or is there a better option now?

La Carta de Oaxaca would be a much better option, if you have a way to make it over to Ballard.

Also, El Puerco Lloron, at the bottom of the market (you have to follow steps near the fish throwers down, down down, across a street, and head down more steps with The Spanish Table on your left and it'll show up soon thereafter on your right. It wouldn't be a bad idea to ask someone for guidance if you get confused.) On second thought, I don't know how late they're open--maybe only till 6? Go to Ballard if you can arrange it. On a Monday night it shouldn't be too bad a wait. The mole is amazing.

On Monday night I'm scheduled to go to Mamma's in Belltown for Mexican.

Nooooooo! Run away!

I heartily second the recommendation for La Carta. I don't think El Puerco Lloron is all that, but it's not dreadful (which is more than I can say for Mama's).

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com