• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best of the West

A bit of cedar wood and a couple of smoking recipes so they can do their own planked salmon. My European relatives are always very impressed when I do that for them during their visits.

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

• 3 weeks later...

So here is the latest indicator that ice wine is our signature product. In the duty-free at Beijing airport, there are five types of wine: a red and a white with a "Great Wall" label, a "James Chang" red label, a red with a French label including text assuring you that it was grown and produced in China, and a bottle of Canadian ice wine. I didn't catch the vineyard, but it was in a black box with a grey "Whistler" watermark.

I won't comment on the Whistler part, but what advertising for the local industry! (Memo to ice wine fans: load up now.)

BCinBC,

I saw a news blurb on tv that talked about the huge problem of ice wine piracy in China. That "Whistler" icewine may in fact be made in China- a treacly sweet imposter.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

A bit of cedar wood and a couple of smoking recipes so they can do their own planked salmon. My European relatives are always very impressed when I do that for them during their visits.

As a European, I can tell you that this sounds good.

Also on my wish list are:

Maple syrup

Really smokey Mexican hot sauces

Corn on the cob

Blueberrries (particularly the small ones from Maine)

Aunt Jemima's pancake mix might also be welcome to some people, (I make my own)

The term 'European' is pretty broad. In the UK and Ireland, there is a great diversity in terms of what is available, whereas in say Italy, or the accession states, the range of non regional product is much more limited.

Edited by Corinna Dunne (log)

As a European, I can tell you that this sounds good.

How's this for a coincidence: my husband just phoned (on his way back from Seattle), to say that he is bringing back Copper River salmon (48 hr packaging)... and a cedar plank.

Looks like my wish has come true!

My suggestion would be some Cortes Gold smoked oysters (available at Nester's in Yaletown). They are without question the best I have ever tasted and packed in their own liquid not oil. Also already being canned and smoked, they are very easy to transport and meet any legal requirements you might run into.

These sounded so good that I today drove to Nestors in Yaletown in search of them - but they didn't have them and no one had heard of them. I also hit Urban Fare and Meinharts - but again without success. I also couldn't find a website for the company. Any thoughts on where to find a regular supplier?