• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best of the West

Looking for any ideas as to what food-stuffs I can take to Europe which represent our fantastic West Coast culinary output.

I have already bought the required and demanded smoked salmon (Spring: Chinook)- European palates can't really handle Sockeye without regular exposure! - half a litre of high-grade Maple Syrup (by way of Quebec of course) and several boxes of Lesley Stowe's Raincoast Crisps.

Aside from all those, I somewhat flummoxed what else to take within weight and legal limitations...i.e. no dairy, no wine (it weighs too much) and no meat products.

Any serious but light-weight ideas?

Oat Cake

"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." Oscar Wilde

Looking for any ideas as to what food-stuffs I can take to Europe which represent our fantastic West Coast culinary output.

I have already bought the required and demanded smoked salmon (Spring: Chinook)- European palates can't really handle Sockeye without regular exposure! - half a litre of high-grade Maple Syrup (by way of Quebec of course) and several boxes of Lesley Stowe's Raincoast Crisps.

Aside from all those, I somewhat flummoxed what else to take within weight and legal limitations...i.e. no dairy, no wine (it weighs too much) and no meat products.

Any serious but light-weight ideas?

Oat Cake

Thomas Haas Chocolates (from Senses or his new shop in North Vancouver); C Salt (I like the smoked version), and 8 dozen chilled Nanaimo bars.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

This sounds kinda boring, but it's appreciated both in Europe and Mexico: maple sugar candies. Purdy's makes them and will put together a box of them for you. Can't get much more Canadian, though not exactly west coast.

Paul B

Friends recently returned from British Columbia with some 'Smoked Indian Salmon Jerky" that was excellent. In my experience most Europeans enjoy the flavor and tastes of long smoked items that are unique. the Salmon made that way meets that criteria, I don't know where it was purchased from in Vancouver but I'm sure that some eGulleters are aware of a source.

We have it from Washington but there was no comparison as the Canadian is superior to what I tried in Seattle. Another Item of interest may be some type of locally made cheese that you feel is special.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

My suggestion would be some Cortes Gold smoked oysters (available at Nester's in Yaletown). They are without question the best I have ever tasted and packed in their own liquid not oil. Also already being canned and smoked, they are very easy to transport and meet any legal requirements you might run into.

Wine Vinegar from one of the many fine vineyards is another thing I would take, especially the aged balsamic vinegar from Venture-Schulze on Vancouver Island.

Candied Salmon would also be another must take.

That's all I can think of given your restrictions.

Hope this helps

Oyster Guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

I'm not sure what's available in Canada, but I always include some junk foods when I visit my son in England -- Cool Ranch Doritos, Chex Mix, popcorn still on the cob, etc. It's good for a laugh, and somehow it always disappears! :wink:

i'm heading to london in the summer and my friend there has requested a few boxes of bits&bites. apparently they don't have anything like it there. i'll bring a few extra things as well but that'll be my starting point. as for the salmon jerky, i'm pretty sure there's a place at granville market (in the marketplace) that sells it... and from what i recall it was pretty darn tasty too!

Unfortunately, junk is the funk. Some friends had a student visiting from Madrid last summer. He so liked Kraft Dinner that he took home - in his luggage - 144 packages.

Edited by Memo (log)

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Memo, that story is too tragic. I hope the KD doesn't escape into the wild only to proliferate and destroy the indigenous pasta.

:laugh: Yeah. Just remeber that KD cheese dust infestation two summers ago when a well-meaning tourist sneezed and infected the entire output of Cheshire.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Lighter than wine but maybe still too heavy--jams from local/wild berries not found in Europe--blueberries might fit the bill. I don't know if blueberries are found that far north though???

Another possible idea would be food/snacks related to large ethnic populations in Vancouver--Chinese, Japanese. Chinese ginger candies, Pocky cookies, etc. It might depend where you are visiting; i.e. if they have that type of stuff available.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

You should take me, especially if you have some single European females that you'll be visiting - my doctor has confirmed that my body's fluid on average contains 23% Crown Royal - that's a hell of a lot more than you'll be able to get past customs - of course I'd be more than willing to smuggle the 15 pounds of fiddleheads / chantrelles in my shorts.

Crown Royal is actually not a bad suggestion - not exactly "west coast" but rye, so far as I can tell, is the Canadian contribution to the whiskey genre. I mean, try ordering a rye next time you're in the States. Half the time you'll get this back at ya: :huh: Canadian Club also does a decent 10-year bottle (or is it 12-year? the one with the blue label) but Crown is still King.

Or like Sam said ice wine / late harvest is another good one. I realize your weight restriction but you can buy both boozes in smaller sizes.

Last time my Dad & I went we took ice wine & maple sugar "leaves" from the maple cafe place just down (Howe? Hornby?) - on the same block as the Hotel Vancouver, facing the Art Gallery (sorry - mind's a blank). They have a great selection of those sort of treats, and they are light, cheap and were VERY popular - more so than the ice wine, I think (my relatives are weird).

Further to the smoked salmon idea, we have been taking small tins of smoked oysters from Canoe Restaurant on the island. They have them done on the island - up in Fanny Bay - very smoky and wonderful and a great alternative to those little soldiers in cottonseed oil available at the grocery store. If you can find someone on the mainland making similar products, go for it.

I know you don't want to take glass, BUT, a wee bottle of Venturi Schulze balsamic might just do the trick.

And to throw the whole thing wide open - McIntosh toffee is a purely Canadian product, very easy to load up on and their packaging hasn't changed for ever. That and the chocolate covered marashino cherry(Lowney's Cherry Blossom) and if you want to make it a little gourmet, the line of Clodhoppers are excellent treats and pair well with reds.

All of these I have taken traveling for gifts and have worked well in terms of packing. I agree with the C salt idea and the real wild rice, too.

It all depends on who you are giving the gifts to after all, how much do you want to spend.

I want someone to bring me Venture Schulze Balsamic vinegar! Anyone tell me where to source this in Vancouver? Or Victoria for that matter, I think I am due for a trip.

In Victoria, either Ottavio in Oak Bay or the little coffee shop adjoined to the Grand Pacific. You could also go directly to the winery - do not pass go, do not collect $100. - 4235 Trans Canada Hwy., 250-743-5630 www.verturischulze.com

s

...And to throw the whole thing wide open - McIntosh toffee is a purely Canadian product, very easy to load up on and their packaging hasn't changed for ever....

Now there is a "blast from the past"...I think the dentist from my youth could have "retired" on the income generated from the fillings McIntosh toffee pulled out of my teeth...