• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Produce in the Prairies

According to their website, the St. Norbert Farmers Market isn't opening until June 5th. I guess this makes sense in normal years, but this year that seems like it's way too late. It's already +20C here and I'm ready for the market.

Anybody know if any other markets are opening earlier this year?

A little more googling and I found this link that shows all the markets in Manitoba with their dates. Nothing in the Winnipeg area opens earlier.

Edited by Pam R
To add the link. (log)

Not farmer's market, but check out the new Lucky Supermarket on Winnipeg Avenue for great selection of Asian produce, etc.

Brandon farmer's market by the river also opens in June. Last spring, pickins were slim at the beginning. Maybe with the early warm temps, more will be available this year.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

• 3 weeks later...

Daughter and fiance came out from Wpg yesterday with 2 bags of fiddleheads from Crampton's. Love those, and they'll be part of Mother's Day supper: surf 'n' turf. Missed out on the fresh morels apparently. Won't hold that against them;-)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com