• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Houston] The Grand Wine and Food Affair

JPipes

http://www.thegrandwineandfoodaffair.com/

Did anyone else go to this thing???

I had the opportunity to go to the Grand Tasting and the Sienna Sip and Stroll, and I have nothing but great things to say about this event. My god was it good!

The Grand Tasting was located at the Marriot in the Sugar Land Town Square, and it was packed full of poeple. The grand ballroom was lined on the perimeter by these restaurants and chefs (http://www.thegrandwineandfoodaffair.com/chefs.php), while the inner portion of the room had three (or four, too many glasses of wine that night to remember) sections for wineries from all over the world to showcase their wines.

The food was unbelievable, I honestly did not find anything that I didn't like. I can't even begin to accurately describe the amount of food and wine that was at this event. Hell, even Tyler Florence was there...much to many of the single girls delight.

The Sip and Stroll was like the grand tasting, on a smaller scale...it was obviously marketing for Sienna Plantation. But the Fiance and I went to learn how to properly taste wine from Kevin Zraly. His class was great, fun and interesting at the same time. Kevin is a wealth of knowledge on wine!

All in all, it was awesome, and I highly recommend that everyone go next year. It's worth the price!

I only heard about this at the last minute. A friend of mine called to tell me about it and that Tyler was going to be there. (She is a huge Tyler fan even though she is not single. :biggrin: ) I am not sure how I missed it. The problem is, I don't get into town to CM very often or I might have seen the promo on it. I will find out if it repeats every year and get it on the calendar.

Many thanks for the report.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I was at Central Market on Westheimer on Saturday and saw Tyler along with a modest line of folks waiting to talk to him and get him to autograph hie cookbook. There was some AM talk radio show broadcasting there as well. I am not certain why they did the book signing in the store, as it was a beautiful day outside and the setup made it pretty crowded (they put him at a table in front of the bulk dips/ice cream freezer section).

He's a cutie! I decided that I wasn't interested enough in his book to wait in the line, however. He seemed like he was really talking to people, letting them take his picture, etc.

I would have loved to have made it to any of the events in Sugarland, but I had a nursery to paint! :)

• 10 months later...

I am bringing this back up because I received a mailer from Central Market yesterday about this event.

THey have quite a distinguished list of attending chefs including some eG regulars.

I would be much more interested in Sara Moulton than Marilu Henner.

The Grand Affair - 2006 version

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!