• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fabulous resorts with awesome food

Malawry

We're coming down to Florida in June to visit family and friends in Tampa, Boca Raton and Miami. We were thinking of stopping off at a schmancy resort for 2-3 nights--the sort of place where there are spa services, a fitness center, perhaps interesting marina and beach type activities. Of course, dining is always a high priority with any luxe getaway--but so many resorts have crappy food. We'd prefer a place close to or in between our destinations, but we're willing to go an hour or two out of our way for the right experience. Any suggestions? What about the Boca Resort and Club? I remember my parents raving about it once, but that was 15 years ago...

We've stayed at the Boca Raton Resort & Club a few times over the past few years. The hotel is undergoing an ownership change right now, but the current food options should be in place for at least another year.

Two restaurants in the hotel, Nick's Fishmarkt and Lucca's, are excellent. The rest of the food is definitely beter than standard resort food.

We've always stayed in the Yacht Club portion of the hotel (which, I believe, is the newest section) and have always had a great stay.

Hope this helps.

-Josh

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

You should have plenty of options. A few thoughts:

The Turnberry Isle resort is nice. Elegant property, great service and good food. I remember having an excellent meal in their Veranda restaurant.

While it is not resort, the hotel I have been staying in lately is the Mandarin Oriental in Miami and they have phenomenal dining options. website

On the Gulf side, kinda hard to go wrong with the Ritz Carlton in Naples, a stunning property.

• 2 weeks later...

Rochelle, the suggestions you have gotten so far sound wonderful. From first-hand experience, I would have only one place in your travel area to recommend, and for this one you would have to go an hour or two out of your way. It is the J.W. Marriott Grande Lakes, in Orlando. My cousin and I stayed there for a few days last August, and this link will take you to the post I made about the food at Melissa Kelly's Primo, which is right there. That was wonderful, and we also enjoyed the lobby lounge where we had really good sushi. There is another restaurant in the hotel which is on a lower scale, Citron, and of course there is a restaurant by the pools. We had good enough lunches at each of those. This hotel had the best spa and the best fitness center I had ever been in. It also has a "Lazy Lagoon" where we floated around for hours on a raft or tube, drinking Mimosas or Bloody Marys or wine or whatever fancy drink with umbrellas that we wanted. On the same Grande Lakes property is the Ritz Carlton where Norman Van Aken's restaurant is, and of course you could choose to go somewhere off the Grande Lakes property to dine.

I'm looking forward to hearing where you go!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

• 3 weeks later...