• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moving to Atlanta

What direction from Marietta? I have lived in NE Cobb County for twenty-two years and operated a retail store in Smyrna for twenty. South, North and East of Marietta is very familiar to me. The west side is less so. The area abounds with chains, but there are some independent gems among the sea of national chains. Narrow down where you will be living, and I will be able to give you a few nearby suggestions. There are several very nice upscale restaurants, but even more of the more modest places.

Hey it cant be too bad in Alpharetta..... Alton Brown does all his shopping there on the show

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 1 month later...

Well, despite our housing falling through five days before the movers arrived, my sweetie's back tire shredding on the highway 45 miles away from our apartment, and three days in a car with two cats, I have arrived!

Our first official meal: Chik-Fil-A.

I lucked out with a commute of less than two miles from our place in Alpharetta, but I made the mistake of doing my first grocery run to Kroger. Which leads to a simple inquiry:

Why does a grocery store in Georgia only carry peaches from California?

Although down a car and very susceptible to getting lost (no hills in northern Illinois) I'd love to know where I can get some proper groceries close by, if anyone has any suggestions. Not that I can do much with it - furniture hasn't arrived yet and I have two pots, one pan, and no bowls. :)

Hooray for moving! :)

--adoxograph

I have arrived!

Our first official meal: Chik-Fil-A.

Congratulations! And Chik-Fil-A isn't bad for junk food. As for the peaches, perhaps it's because they ship the Georgia peaches to the Kroger up here.

Kevin

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside. -- Mark Twain

Visit my blog at Seriously Good.

Welcome to Hotlanta, adoxograph.

Sounds like your trip was, um, eventful, but at least you're finally here safe and sound. Drive carefully so as to keep it that way. It's not just the hills that will help you get lost, but the fact that metro Atlanta comprises so many different towns and counties, and not much rhyme or reason to road layout or public transit.

As for why a grocery store in Georgia sells peaches from California, well, Kroger isn't exactly a local operation. It's also the worst grocery chain in the area---Publix is generally much better, particularly if you can find one in an affluent area (and it looks like you work in one, so that shouldn't be difficult).

I don't know if this is the best good shopping near you, but it is considered very good, and it's closer than a lot of places: Harry's. Harry's used to be independently owned (it was started by the brother of the guy who runs the market I use, Dekalb Farmers Market) but it was bought out by Whole Foods.

Strong work on Chik-Fil-A: a local product, and a pretty good one at that. You did appreciate the importance of the pickles, right?

Can you pee in the ocean?

First of all the Swiss Alpine Bakery is a very good place in and of itself to eat. Great chicken soup. I’ve never had a bad meal there and I’ve had several.. Assuming they have not opened a second location and you are at the one on Highway 92, these are all in your area

Chinese: Xian

Chinese Indian: China Rasoi

Pho: Saigon

Gyros: Athen’s

Real Mexican: Azteca Groceria

Latin: La Brasa

Burgers: Rhea’s

Barbecue: Swallow at the Hallow

Paninis: Metanoya

Chicago eatery: Bobby G’s

Asian fusion: Fishbow Asian Bistro

Soup and sandwich: Ah your employer is an excellent choice, Edible Expressions, Fickle Pickle

Malaysian: Rasa Sayang

Lebanese: Byblos

Fried Chicken: Roswell Kitchen

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

The a better selection of produce, including local, try Harry's Farmers Market on Upper Hembree Road. It is about a half mile west of Alpharetta Hwy.

Personally, I feel that Publix has a better selection of produce than Kroger. However, our Kroger did have Georgia peaches yesterday.

Yes, the pickles at Chik-Fil-A are absolutely required.

I managed to find the Harry's, woo-hoo! I know where Alpharetta Highway is!

And my local friend has promised us a trip to Varsity - he just needs to eat nothing but twigs and berries for a bit to prep for it. :)

--adoxograph

. . . .

Personally, I feel that Publix has a better selection of produce than Kroger. 

. . . .

Having lived all over north Atlanta, both ITP and OTP, I can state with absolute certainty that this is sometimes true. Too much depends on individual store and produce managers to make reliable predictions about anything -- especially meat, cheese and produce. It's too bad, too. It sure would make things easier.

I have found that Publix meat managers have more flexibility than their Kroger counterparts, due to the way the companies purchase, ship and store the product.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

As far as markets in addition to what was stated, Fresh Market is an upscale grocery. NY Butcher has top notch Angus Beef and awesome chicken. Alpine is within reasonable distance of the highly touted Super H.

Milt is very right about Dick & Harry’s as far as other restaurants. In the same shopping center as NY Butcher is Bia’s Pizza which is the same concept as California Pizza Kitchen, just much better execution. Marlow’s also in that shopping center is very good tavern food.

West of you is Taco Prisa, great cheap Mexican breakfast and San Miguel another groceria that has excellent real Mexican burritos–no sour cream, cheese etc but the real thing.

Also from what I hear avoid that crappy pizza place in Swiss' shopping center.

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

• 1 year later...

Can't help you with the traffic other than to say do whatever you can do avoid it...

And if that fails, go to Sala on N Highland and get the Humo de Oaxaca (pasilla de Oaxaca chiles stuffed with beef picadillo with almond cream and epazote oil). They will make everything all better.

Sala

Oh, and if you ever need anything obscure and Asian, just go directly to the International Farmer's Market on Buford Highway, because they've definitely got it. See? One stop, less traffic. You're ahead of the game already!

Good luck!

Mark

Edited by markemorse (log)

Well, Adoxograph, it's been a year. What do you think?

What were your experiences? Any favorites? Surprises? Disappointments? Overall impression of Hotlanta?

Are you saying "y'all" yet?

And how are those Atlanta gyros?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

oops, ha ha....didn't notice that. hopefully you've made it to Sala by now.

Well, it sounded great to me. And I do visit Atlanta from time to time, so I appreciate the tip.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Well, Adoxograph, it's been a year.  What do you think?

What were your experiences?  Any favorites?  Surprises?  Disappointments?  Overall impression of Hotlanta?

Are you saying "y'all" yet?

And how are those Atlanta gyros?

While there have been no y'alls yet from this Yankee, I did find myself making Moon Pies from scratch last week, so who knows what the future holds. I went back through this thread and had to laugh at places I thought I had "found" but had been recommended all along. I did manage to get to RiceSticks before it closed, and the folks at Rasa Sayang learned my address pretty quickly. We hit Swallow at the Hollow for my birthday, and a foie gras terrine from Joel Antunes showed up at dinner at a friend's house. Bobby G's is a satisfying Chicago fix even if I prefer to call a combo a combo rather than giving it a street name, heh. Yes, we've found gyros - as well as fabulous Mexican food, Korean food, pho, burgers, pizza, sushi, etc etc etc...

All and all I think the biggest surprise is the depth of available cuisine, even out here in the burbs. Note to visitors: there's some good food in Hotlanta, and more than just barbecue!

But I haven't figured out who has the best fried chicken yet. Have to keep checking.

--adoxograph

But I haven't figured out who has the best fried chicken yet. Have to keep checking.

While I positively refuse to make your search any easier, and refuse to allow you to lose weight on this issue, the thinking around here, and in Creative Loafing Best of 2005 Best Fried chicken and Best Sunday Brunch is the one and only Watershed, owned by Chef Scott Peacock and Emily Saliers of the Indigo Girls ...

The food at Watershed is fresh, wholesome, and soul satisfying. We believe in organic and local farmers and support them whenever possible. Watershed is relaxed and friendly and Chef Scott Peacock's dishes will take you on a fresh culinary journey or bring you back to the comfort and warmth of your grandmother's kitchen.
:wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"