• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moving to Atlanta

First New England, then Chicago and now it looks like I'll be relocating to Atlanta. I've never lived in the South, haven't spent much time in Georgia, but you know how these things are.

Anyways, hoping for some guidance for the soon to be resident...

What grocery stores are there? Farmers Markets? Specialty Produce?

Where are the good restaurants?

What kind of greasepits do you have?

Do the music/sports venues have good food?

And, for crying out loud, can I get a gyro anywhere?

Thanks in advance - see you in July!

--adoxograph

Let me start by saying that almost, if not all, of your questions can be answered by reading some of the recent threads in the Southeast region forum ...

eG discussion on restaurants both inexpensive and expensive ...

Watershed thread .. upscale southern cuisine

Woodfire Grill .. California-inspired seasonal dining

The food is great and ranges from simple southern fare all the way up to continental dining. Good restaurants now abound in Atlanta ... our farmers' markets have everything, both American and from all over the world .. ethnic produce and dining have grown phenomenally ... and yes, there are lots of gyros .. and variations there upon!

yes, gyros .. yes, souvlaki .. yes spanokopita .. yes, ouzo! :biggrin:

Look over the SE Forum and see what specific issues and concerns you may have ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

What grocery stores are there?  Farmers Markets?  Specialty Produce?

Publix & Kroger's are the two big ones. You can also find Ingles & Winn Dixie's here and there. There are also Whole Foods here (some are named Harry's after a local chain.) And there are a couple of Fresh Markets, who are trying to build a presence.

Farmer's Markets:

DeKalb Farmer's Market

Morningside Organic Farmer's Market

Piedmont Park's Green Market

Atlanta Farmer's Market

There are also the Buford Highway Farmer's Market & the International Farmer's Market, but I can't find a website for either one. There's also a new Asian (I think mainly Korean) supermarket in Duluth that is very good, called Super H Mart.

Everywhere

In the 'burbs, there is a Waffle House approximately every 500 feet.

Plus numerous local places.

You know, I really don't know.

That one's been answered.

Have a good trip. I'd help with the moving/unpacking, but I'm pretty sure I'm working that day. :rolleyes:

-Greg

Okay, a really really important question: where will you be working? Because traffic here sucks, and depending on where your job is you'll want to be very careful about your choice of housing lest you end up stuck in a truly hellish commute every day. Under no circumstances should you rely on a real estate agent to help you decide wear to live---he/she is not interested in your happiness, but only wants to sell you a house.

Of the markets that gwilson lists, only the Morningside and Piedmont markets are farmers markets in the conventional sense. The others are giant markets with various ethnic emphases---very cool, with generally much better prices and quality than Kroger (where I never shop) and Publix (which varies a lot depending on where it's located---the more affluent the neighborhood the better the selection). I do most of my shopping at Dekalb Farmers Market.

Restaurant quality generally better in town (also known as ITP, or "inside the perimeter) though things are improving in the 'burbs.

Nobody's going to music/sports venues for the food. We usually eat on our way to the venue. Turner Field (Braves baseball) initially offered some great stuff, but it apparently didn't sell well so the quality dropped. They're reportedly improving it, but I haven't seen much difference.

As for the gyros, sure, you can get them, but it's not going to be the same as up north. But don't worry, that can be the thing that you remember fondly about living up there. Whenever you find yourself eating a gyro and thinking that it's not quite as good as the ones you recall, just whack yourself with a menu and recall that you no longer own either a snow shover or a snow blower.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Thank you everybody!

I had seen the cheap eats thread (that one or another Atlanta one was how I found the creative loafing site) and I am muchly relieved to see I'll be able to drum up a gyro, seeing as how zoning regs in Chicago require gyros every 150 feet. And if worse comes to worse I know that Portillo's ships worldwide, so I can get a combo.

The DeKalb market (why does Georgia have so many suburbs with the same names as Illinois towns?) sounds a lot like my favorite markets around here, so I'll definitely be exploring those options.

Have you got a good cheese shop?

For the hellish commute, luckily I have been warned, and I have local friends who are helping scout housing for us, so as to avoid said evil traffic. They just aren't food people, you know how frustrating that can be. :)

As for the snow shovels, any Yankee worth her salt knows you just kick the snow out from behind your tires and drive off. :)

--adoxograph

Have you got a good cheese shop?

For the hellish commute, luckily I have been warned, and I have local friends who are helping scout housing for us, so as to avoid said evil traffic. They just aren't food people, you know how frustrating that can be. :)

So this is precisely why it's so important that we know where (not the name of the business, just the approximate location) you're going to work, and where you're thinking about buying housing. Because friends who aren't food people simply aren't going to take this very important variable into consideration.

DFM has a nice cheese selection, and the turnover's very high. Whole Foods supposedly has good cheese, but I've never been particularly happy with it (or anything else about their stores, come to think of it). Top of the line cheese purveyor in town is Star Provisions, but Alon's bakery also does a nice business in cheese (plus it's right across the street from the Morningside Farmers Market, which is only open on Saturday AM and starts at 8:00 and if you want the good stuff you want to be there at 8:00 clutching lots of small bills, so you can see how very important proximity will be).

Edited by therese (log)

The Varsity is the most famous. You've got to eat there at least once -- which may be often enough.

Well, you don't technically have to eat there. Because if you just walk in and hang out for a few minutes, breathing in and out, you'll feel as if you've eaten there, and in this instance that's ideal.

Another dive that you'll want to experience is the Majestic, where everybody who is anybody goes at 3 AM for some hangover prevention (particularly if you've been at the Clermont). Don't go if you're not already hammered, because then you'll realize that it's every bit as surreal in real life as it is when you're drunk, and that's sort of disconcerting.

I have heard rumblings about the Varsity, even in the Northern Outreaches of Chicago. I think I may be forced to consume nothing but raw vegetables after eating there in order to balance out my system...

In answer to the earlier question I'll be working in Alpharetta, wherever that is, so anything in proximity to that is more likely to be on the top of my list.

Don't know exactly where I'll be living yet, but the closer I am to cheese, the better for all concerned.... :)

Tell me when the next southeast egullet potluck in Atlanta is, I'll bring dessert. :)

--adoxograph

if you just walk in and hang out for a few minutes, breathing in and out, you'll feel as if you've eaten there, and in this instance that's ideal.

Therese,

Hmmmm. I think I disagree. I think a fundamental part of the experience is the way it lasts for several hours after you've eaten.

I hadn't heard of the Majestic. I'll have to put it on my list.

And to return to the subject of good food, have you been to Tierra?

Kevin

Kevin

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside. -- Mark Twain

Visit my blog at Seriously Good.

If I were in Atlanta I would eat wherever Richard Blais is cooking>>>>>>>>>>

As I did, earlier this week. He's at ONE. Midtown Kitchen, sister to TWO. Urban Licks, where he was cooking last month.

Fortunately for me both of these restaurants (and virtually all of those described in this thread up to this point) are located in Atlanta, well inside the perimeter and an easy drive from my house.

Adoxograph, on the other hand, will be working (and presumably living) in Alpharetta. This map will give you an idea of how far Alpharetta is from Atlanta. It's interactive, but the view that first shows up includes the top half of the Perimeter (I-285) as a thin red orange sort of semi-circle at the bottom half of the map. Assuming adoxograph lives right smack in the middle of Alpharetta, close to GA 400, the distance to Dutch Valley RD is 22 miles. Yahoo gives an optimistic drive time for this trip of 33 minutes, realistic if you're going against traffic, or if a neutron bomb has gone off and destroyed all life in the area but somehow sparing you and and your family. Much of the housing in Alpharetta is some distance from GA 400, though, so one can easily add another 20 minutes to that drive time. Against traffic.

We have friends who live in Alpharetta, and go to see them or dine out in that area about twice a year. We budget 45 minutes for the drive, and are sometimes on time.

The good news about Alpharetta is that it's affluent and growing very rapidly, so you can get a very fancy enormous 'burb sort of house for the money that would buy you a two bedroom Craftsman bungalow in town. The surrounding countryside is lovely, rolling hills and very green (which Atlanta also is) with small farms, etc. But don't assume that the small farms in your neighborhood will be there for long, as they're very rapidly being turned into enormous shopping centers.

Because it's affluent there is an increasing number of good restaurants and markets there. Many of these restaurants would be considered outstanding in most of the U.S., and tend to get short shrift here because the competition is so strong.

Tell me when the next southeast egullet potluck in Atlanta is, I'll bring dessert.  :)

Vide supra. You might want to consider bringing your jammies and toothbrush and crashing at my house before the drive home.

There's a new market call Muss & Turner somewhere out there that's supposed to be very good. I'll see if I can figure out where it is so that you can look at housing within walking distance.

if you just walk in and hang out for a few minutes, breathing in and out, you'll feel as if you've eaten there, and in this instance that's ideal.

Therese,

Hmmmm. I think I disagree. I think a fundamental part of the experience is the way it lasts for several hours after you've eaten.

I hadn't heard of the Majestic. I'll have to put it on my list.

And to return to the subject of good food, have you been to Tierra?

Kevin

Okay, go to the Varsity and eat. Then go to the Clermont Lounge, and then go to the Majestic. Take notes (or photos) because you're unlikely to recall any of it the next day.

As for Tierra, yes, one of our favorites. And we've not been in a few months, so thanks for reminding me.

In answer to the earlier question I'll be working in Alpharetta, wherever that is, so anything in proximity to that is more likely to be on the top of my list.

Alpharetta is about 12 miles outside of the perimeter north of the Atlanta City proper up GA 400.

There is a Whole Foods (Harry's) there as well as several Publix and Kroger’s. There are also several good restaurants as well as several not so good and lots somewhere in the middle. The Varsity has a location here also. :biggrin:

Edited by pyrguy (log)

Dwight

If at first you succeed, try not to act surprised.

Don't know exactly where I'll be living yet, but the closer I am to cheese, the better for all concerned.... :)

Alpharetta? Wow. I hope you like traffic.

No, seriously, I'm here to offer you another option, rather than simply asking, "So, how much do you like this job?" There is a possibility that you could be better off living more centrally, and if your job is a typical 9 to 5, you'd be driving outward from the city in the early part of the day, which means that you'd be in the opposite direction of the general flow of traffic.

Believe me, paying attention to the flow of traffic will make all the difference in your quality of life here. Consider renting long enough to observe traffic patterns, before you lock into buying a home. And definitely spend a lot of time looking, observing the route between where you will live and where you work at different times of the day.

If you will be working in the East part of Alpharetta, you can access it from 141, and that means you could actually get an apartment on Buford Highway while you are deciding where you will eventually live (BuHi goes through Alpharetta as well). Not something long term, but there are even some decent apartments over there (though most of them are cheaper and a little run-down), and it would give you a nice taste of an interesting part of town with lots of ethnic restaurants. That's the area where I got my first apartment in Atlanta.

And Buckhead is a convenient place to live if you work up the GA 400 corridor, since you can get on easily here.

There are a few real estate deals to be had in outlying areas, but I generally disagree that Alpharetta is far enough out to offer a deal good enough to make it worth living out there. Locals call that area "Bloomin' Onion Acres," because the most likely restaurants to succeed are big chains. And you will pay the same car insurance rates to live in the 'burbs, plus you'll spend enormously more on gasoline.

Good luck, and contact me when you get here. I'll give you the full tour.

First New England, then Chicago and now it looks like I'll be relocating to Atlanta.  I've never lived in the South, haven't spent much time in Georgia, but you know how these things are.

Anyways, hoping for some guidance for the soon to be resident...

What grocery stores are there?  Farmers Markets?  Specialty Produce?

well welcome to Atlanta - first things first - where will you be living/working - this makes all the difference in the world down here.

As for Highlights that are worth the visit no matter where you live - Dekalb Farmer's Market is a must.

You can get decent Gyros around here - and are greaspits are the barbecue kind. :)

Again this depends on where you are located.

Doh - prolly should have scrolled more.

I dunno what's up in Alpharetta - altho i hear there's soem good Indian up that way - and isn't there a good bbq joint therese? (how ya been btw? ;))

I second Muss and Turners which is right down the street form me. love that place!

Edited by tryska (log)

Okay, go to the Varsity and eat. Then go to the Clermont Lounge, and then go to the Majestic. Take notes (or photos) because you're unlikely to recall any of it the next day.

yes. it's a rite of passage. one i haven't gotten a chance to do yet, actually - because the damn clermont keeps closing by the time i get there.

fg - how are you as well?

Edited by tryska (log)

yes. it's a rite of passage. one i haven't gotten a chance to do yet, actually - because the damn clermont keeps closing by the time i get there.

So if the Clermont closes before you get there you are staying out way too late. :wink: I had no idea that the Clermont actually ever closed, frankly.

Didn't Bourdain say he'd been to the Clermont when he visited Atlanta a few months back? How can you resist with endorsement like that?

So if the Clermont closes before you get there you are staying out way too late. :wink: I had no idea that the Clermont actually ever closed, frankly.

Didn't Bourdain say he'd been to the Clermont when he visited Atlanta a few months back? How can you resist with endorsement like that?

i don't know - it seems like it would be Bourdain's kind of joint tho. And yeah you're right - i'm out way too late usually - or perhaps they close way too early. *lol* actually since they changed the liquor ordinances in fulton - every place is closing way too early.

fg - how are you as well?

Hey! Doing just fine, aside from my lovely city shutting off my water again. When are they going to figure out how to do a little construction without sinking entire buildings?

Ha ha. Just another day in Atlanta.

Muss & Turner's is actually good enough that I've been there twice, and it's nowhere near my neck of the woods. Their groceries are expensive, but their sandwiches are outstanding.

Do you think the Clermont is closing early for Blondie's sake? She is getting close to retirement age, you know. You should make a point of getting there while she's still around.

haha - i don't think they are closing early - i jsut wind up on cheshire bridge at like 3:05am, or 2:15 or some such hour. just after they've closed.

sorry to hear your water got turned off - this is when gym memberships come in handy.

The Alpharetta area is close enough to a good many good to excellent restaurants to keep me happy. I live in the northeast corner of Cobb County, and find myself in Alpharetta frequently enough. The area is full of chains - but there are a number of independent winners also. Zola on the far north side of Alpharetta has great pizza and good Italian cuisine, in general. dick & harry's on Holcomb Bridge Road just east of Ga 400 is very well thought of for upscale dining OTP. Swallow at the Hollow on Green Street in Roswell has (in my opinion) the best barbeque in the Atlanta area. Across the street is Greenwood's on Green Street - which serves excellent southern food in huge quantities. Harry's Farmers Market on Hembree Road will be reasonably convenient for you. Since they were acquired by Whole Foods I have found myself less impressed with the operation - but they are still convenient and they have an excellent selection of fruits, vegetables, spices, and harder to find canned items. RiceSticks on Roswell Road just north of I-285 has excellent Vietnamese dishes in an upscale atmosphere. KC Pit BBQ on Hildebrand just west of Roswell Road in Sandy Springs has great brisket and burnt ends. The Silos on Crabapple on the west side of Roswell is very good, as is Van Gogh's on Hwy 92 just west of Crabapple.

There are more, but the above is enough to start with. Opinions will vary, but there are numerous restaurants to choose from.

Edited by Milt (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips so far everyone! Now that I've met my boss (I'll be working at the Swiss Alpine Bakery) I've got a few more details to fill in gaps. Needless to say, with baker's hours I'm not worried too much about traffic - is it that bad at 3am? :) - and I've been well prepped by my Chicago commute anyway.

To start I'll be living on the outskirts of Marietta, to help a friend sell a house and get a chance to scope out locations before commiting to a location. For our first meals out we'll probably be sticking to whatever local place has the best fat/salt content to sustain us through heavy lifting and climate changes. And we will grill. Oh how we will grill.

After a few paychecks, we'll probably look to our first finer dining experience, so I'll be keeping an eye out here, but please keep the info coming!

--adoxograph