• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moving to South Miami

Turtleboy

I am in the process of moving to South Miami (I think). I'll be on the corner of South Dixie Highway (US-1) and SW 104 st, right where the Palmetto ends.

So, where should I eat?

I let Jsmeeker tell me where to eat in Vegas.

Wow – the old stomping ground. I grew up around there – before it was called Pinecrest. What brings you to those parts?! It’s been a while since I’ve lived there, but some of the places I believe are still around…

136th St & South Dixie Highway:

Fleming – A Taste of Denmark: Always nice. Quite proud to have such a charming restaurant in the area!

Samurai Japanese Steak House: This place has been around for years – got pretty destroyed from Hurricane Andrew. Much more crowded than it was 15+ years ago.

The Falls (mall): Again 15 years – a lot has changed. PF Chang is where El Torito’s used to be. It’s a chain, but I think it gets pretty crowded (don’t know your age and what your looking for). Not sure what else is in the Falls now, but worth looking around if you’ve never been.

124th Street & SDHWY:

Gardner’s Market: A good place to get specialty items.

Ruben’s Cuban: In the strip mall directly behind Gardner’s Market. Don’t know if it’s still around, but a favorite for a quick Cuban breakfast or lunch.

I think there’s also an Italian and Thai place around there that have been there forever. Aren’t I of great assistance?!

112th Street & SDHWY:

Wagon’s West: Great place for breakfast.

98th Street (approx) and SDHWY:

Lots of Lox Deli: This is egullet, so I’m cautious in saying it’s a good Deli, but I like it. Let me know what you think. The original is on 152nd St. & SDHWY.

Hooligan's Pub & Oyster Bar – in the same strip mall. A sports bar/oyster place. Not what the general age of patrons are (for me was a high school/post HS hangout).

Shorty’s BBQ – basically across the street from Lots of Lox (or is it a little further south on SDHWY?). BBQ place that has been around for years.

That’s what comes to mind for Pinecrest, and it’s what I can offer from my teenage years – I’ll check with my cousin for some more suggestions. They are all pretty general - only Fleming comes close to fine dining. But they all bring back fond memories (many a first and second period spent at Wagon’s West and Ruben’s :wink: ). If you have any specific favorites you’re looking for, then let me know (fine dining or seedy bar?). There is still South Miami, Coral Gables and The Grove.

And please buy all your wine and booze from Crown Wine & Spirits! :biggrin:

That's a good start, thanks.

And I'm not "officially" in Pinecrest -- I'm on the wrong side of SDHW for that. But I'll probably tell people Pinecrest anyway, it sounds richer. ;)

I let Jsmeeker tell me where to eat in Vegas.

• 2 weeks later...

You MUST try Shorty's, they're an institution. Forget the sides, everything is overcooked and oversweetened, but DO go for the ribs and the chicken. A really good sticky sauce, you'll be glad!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Wow – the old stomping ground.  I grew up around there – before it was called Pinecrest.  What brings you to those parts?!  It’s been a while since I’ve lived there, but some of the places I believe are still around…

136th St & South Dixie Highway: 

Fleming – A Taste of Denmark:  Always nice.  Quite proud to have such a charming restaurant in the area!

Samurai Japanese Steak House:  This place has been around for years – got pretty destroyed from Hurricane Andrew.  Much more crowded than it was 15+ years ago. 

The Falls (mall):  Again 15 years – a lot has changed.  PF Chang is where El Torito’s used to be.  It’s a chain, but I think it gets pretty crowded (don’t know your age and what your looking for). Not sure what else is in the Falls now, but worth looking around if you’ve never been.

124th Street & SDHWY:

Gardner’s Market:  A good place to get specialty items.

Ruben’s Cuban:  In the strip mall directly behind Gardner’s Market.  Don’t know if it’s still around, but a favorite for a quick Cuban breakfast or lunch.

I think there’s also an Italian and Thai place around there that have been there forever.  Aren’t I of great assistance?!

112th Street & SDHWY:

Wagon’s West:  Great place for breakfast.

98th Street (approx) and SDHWY:

Lots of Lox Deli:  This is egullet, so I’m cautious in saying it’s a good Deli, but I like it.  Let me know what you think.  The original is on 152nd St. & SDHWY.

Hooligan's Pub & Oyster Bar – in the same strip mall.  A sports bar/oyster place. Not what the general age of patrons are (for me was a high school/post HS hangout). 

Shorty’s BBQ – basically across the street from Lots of Lox (or is it a little further south on SDHWY?).  BBQ place that has been around for years.

That’s what comes to mind for Pinecrest, and it’s what I can offer from my teenage years – I’ll check with my cousin for some more suggestions. They are all pretty general - only Fleming comes close to fine dining.  But they all bring back fond memories (many a first and second period spent at Wagon’s West and Ruben’s  :wink: ).  If you have any specific favorites you’re looking for, then let me know (fine dining or seedy bar?).  There is still South Miami, Coral Gables and The Grove.

And please buy all your wine and booze from Crown Wine & Spirits!  :biggrin:

Holy Crap. The above post reads like a list of the places I ate at while skipping classes at Palmetto Senior High (class of 1990). I live in Seattle now, so I don't have a clue if any of these places are still around, or any good. But, in the late eighties, they were a major part of my diet.

The only place I can think to add is that there was an Italian restaurant in the strip mall where Sea Star Thai was. Hmmm, the name is escaping me. I loved it, and used any excuse to splurge on their Veal Piccata.

Mind you, all this food was great when I was a sixteen year old, with a fairly uneducated palate. But, thanks for the flashback.

Robin Tyler McWaters