• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Over-Ordering at Restaurants

I don't over-order much (I don't have the money to eat out much, let alone over-order - unless someone else is picking up the bill :biggrin: ), but I am an incurable, compulsive over-shopper. Even though I'm cooking for myself only most of the time, I always buy more than I need - a cabbage big enough to feed me every night for a week, peanut butter by the pound, 3 or 4 carrots when I really only need one … it's like some survival mechanism in my brain stem takes over when I'm grocery shopping, and screams, "You've got to fill the burrow with food for when winter comes!"

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

I am very careful not to overorder because my eyes are bigger than my stomach, but I'll clear the table anyways. Whenever there is some new or obscure place that I want to point to the menu and say "I'll take one," I usually just drag along someone to split the food (and bill. :wink: )

Yes, I want to make clear for the record that when I say I over-order I mean I order an obscene amount of food. I don't mean I can't finish it. I assure you, I can and often do finish it.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

i stopped at a steakhouse last night for a steak fix. instead of the usual app/entree/sides/dessert, we just ordered the porterhouse for 2 and a bottle of wine. it came with baked potato and a salad (which normally wouldn't deter the ordering of an app or 2).

i was amazed at how perfect the meal felt when we were done (leftover steak included, of course), and how inexpensive it turned out. usually a steakhouse might come to almost 100 a head. this was only 110 or so before tip.

i think i'm on to something. it only took 15 years to figure this out.

Edited by tommy (log)

Tommy, I've been having similar experiences lately, but there's something in my screwed up noggin that resists more often than not. I sometimes feel like (pathetic admission alert) The Man isn't gonna keep me from ordering that crab cake, dammit, that sort of thing. "Adolescent," I believe it is called.

Perhaps your own fifteen years of resistance can help those of us who still struggle confront the beast, eh?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Tommy, I've been having similar experiences lately, but there's something in my screwed up noggin that resists more often than not. I sometimes feel like (pathetic admission alert) The Man isn't gonna keep me from ordering that crab cake, dammit, that sort of thing. "Adolescent," I believe it is called.

Perhaps your own fifteen years of resistance can help those of us who still struggle confront the beast, eh?

although i took from the experience a giddy sense of satisfaction, i'm afraid it took every ounce of will-power that i have to not order the shrimp cocktail and the creamed spinach. i'm afraid i have none left for even me, much less for the rest of you folks.

but i wish you luck and strength. we'll all need it.

Just had to share something that happened tonight...my brother, niece (see my signature) and I went for Vietnamese food. We ordered a small bowl of 'wonton' soup for her, an app, and one entree to start. We each had a small plate in front of us (as is the norm in a restaurant where we're sharing dishes) and about halfway through the meal, she stood up on her chair, looked around at a few tables nearby, and announced "Wow! We have a LOT of lunch on our table!" :laugh::laugh: I lost it, partially b/c she's so damn funny and partially b/c the only thing I could think of was this thread. Can you tell we're related? :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I only have this problem when I'm ordering chinese food. Growing up in a chinese family, my dad would always order for the entire family so we would have a nice balance of ingredients (meat/fish/veg/etc) and preparation methods (steamed/stir-fried/stewed/etc). When my mom cooked at home, there was always a variety of stuff including a meat, a seafood, maybe a tofu, a veg or two, soup, and of course rice at every dinner. It wasn't necessarily a large quantity of food, but it was a large variety. So now even though I live far away from my family and it's only my husband and myself, I feel the need to order a wide variety of dishes at chinese restaurants to get a proper sense of balance. We only end up eating about 2 bites of every dish, and the amount of food that sits on our table is absolutely obscene. But I don't know what else to do! Eating larger quantities of only one or two things at a chinese restaurant just seems to go against the spirit of balance in a chinese meal.

I don't have this problem in other types of restaurants though, maybe because I don't have a deeply ingrained sense of what is proper.

I don't have this problem in other types of restaurants though, maybe because I don't have a deeply ingrained sense of what is proper.

Or maybe because you DO have a deeply ingrained sense of what is proper. I sure don't.

By the way, I think that this little fellow captures precisely the expression I make when the umpteenth order arrives at the table, everyone's thinking, "He's done it again," and I'm thinking, "Did I order that, too? ... Which is what, exactly?"

:blink:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts