• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

London Fish & Chips Shops

If cab drivers are good judges, Masters on Waterloo Road (behind the Old Vic) is pretty special. They do use fresh fish, not frozen, and fry in vegetable oil, not drippng. There's rarely fewer than a dozen cabs parked out front after 7pm, but one can usually find a table in the dining room.

If cab drivers are good judges, Masters on Waterloo Road (behind the Old Vic) is pretty special. They do use fresh fish, not frozen, and fry in vegetable oil, not drippng. There's rarely fewer than a dozen cabs parked out front after 7pm, but one can usually find a table in the dining room.

CD interested that you imply that veg. oil is preferable to dripping. In my neck of the woods beef dripping seems to be considered to be the best way to cook chips!

Edited by Simon Farrow (log)

Easily the best I have had in London is at the 'Fish Club' on st john's hill, near clapham junction.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

CD interested that you imply that veg. oil is preferable to dripping. In my neck of the woods beef dripping seems to be considered to be the best way to cook chips!

Definitley.. animal fat does so much more to your food than you think!!

My best local is Faulkners on Kingsland Road. They only use fresh fish from Billingsgate - you pay for the privilege but I haven't tried the others mentioned so maybe that's just the price you pay for decent quality seafood in this town.

Last time I was there I ate in the restaurant and had 6 MASSIVE fat sardines for £7.90 including chips and salad. and my waiter topped up my wine glass for free.

happy happy joy....

oh - whitebait was good too!

Heretical though it may be to a Yorkshireman, I do actually prefer vegetable oil, at least in London. I appreciate that super saturated animal fat imparts a rich flavour to chips and makes for dark and crispy batter, but I don't know of any local emporia that make a big deal of frying in dripping (Faulkener's, maybe?). Many North London places (2Bros; Nautilus) offer a Kosher option (using matzoh meal instead of batter) and it may be that there's a prohibition against frying fish in a melted cow :blink:

The peeps what run masters may be Maltese, or maybe they're Greek; Mediterranean, innit? It's easier to keep a clean supply of vegetable oil than to bugger about with beef dripping. And it is healthier. And there's the demi veggies who eat fish sometimes :laugh: You may argue that it makes for a more anaemic product and you might have a point. I don't think I've ever met a Northerner who has been completely satisfied with the quality of fish and chips in London. But I tell 'em, if you think that's bland, don't even look at the sausages.

Another praiseworthy fish & chip place (and just about in London) is Matheou's Fish Bar in Raynes Park (SW20), just down Coombe Lane West from the station.

I last went there just before Christmas in 2004, and was overjoyed (as I always am) by the freshness of the cod. Lovely chips too, and the owners are very friendly.

• 1 year later...

the place we liked was near the Old Vic Theatre--on the side street--I didn't remember the name, but it's referenced in the f & C thread linked above--Masters.

It's kind of a grimy neighborhood, no tables, as i remember, but we walked down to the pub, got some beer and sat outside at the tables and gobbled--then went to see a play at the Old Vic--a fun night.

Hubby used to frequent the Seashell when he lived there.

He's brought me there quite a few times over the past 15 or so years, and we really like it!

We usually get take out, and have a pint or so across the street first.

Philly Francophiles

the place we liked was near the Old Vic Theatre--on the side street--I didn't remember the name, but it's referenced in the f & C thread linked above--Masters.

It's kind of a grimy neighborhood,  no tables, as i remember, but we walked down to the pub, got some beer and sat outside at the tables and gobbled--then went to see a play at the Old Vic--a fun night.

You're befuddled. Masters Supafish does have tables. I guess the pub you refer to is the Stage Door? Can't think of any other locally where you might scoff your chips.

MarkinHouston, you can still make it! This place is onWaterloo Road, behind the Vic. Alternatively, under the bridge by the roundabout is the wonderfully named Fishcotheque.

I was also going to recommend the Fryer's Delight as a venerable central London chippy, but when looking for a link found the Time Out top ten. Enjoy!

• 1 year later...
I agree with the Golden Hind suggestion.  I went a few nights ago, and was totally taken aback.  Extremely delicious food, and excellent service (BYO with free corkage)!

I will be trying a few more spots around London shortly for a full comparison.

Masters is BYO too