• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corn syrup/glucose/trimoline/invert sugars

culinary bear

• 2 weeks later...

If your only concern is hfcs, I'd let go of that one. There isn't a shred of scientific evidence supporting any of the apocalyptic claims about this stuff. It's basically invert syrup derived from corn. Corn syrup (mostly glucose) is subjected to an enzyme reaction (like what's been used in the preparation of many food products throughout the ages) so that a portion of the glucose is converted to fructose. The "high fructose" part is really a misnomer; most hfcs formulations have no more fructose in them than table sugar.

Found this link today concerning HFCS. I have no idea of the legitimacy of the claims that hfcs is bad for you...Princeton scientists seem to think so. I thought I should post it.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Found this link today concerning HFCS. I have no idea of the legitimacy of the claims that hfcs is bad for you...Princeton scientists seem to think so. I thought I should post it.

That's certainly interesting. I bet it's going to attract a lot of attention, primarily because almost all previous studies find weight gain or loss to be identical in calorie-controlled trials of anything. PubMed does list a couple of other studies that suggest some weird weight gain potential from fructose itself ... which implicates honey and fruit juice alongside soda. At any rate, there are bound to be a bunch of followup studies and attempts to duplicate these results, so I'll keep my eyes out.

It's important to note that these rats were fed diets where sugar syrups made up a high percentage of their daily calories. A very different circumstance from eating the ocassional dessert with a few grams corn syrup.

Notes from the underbelly

It's important to note that these rats were fed diets where sugar syrups made up a high percentage of their daily calories. A very different circumstance from eating the occasional dessert with a few grams corn syrup.

Good point.

I use the corn syrup only in ice cream and other confections, like toffee...most of which I give away...and we don't eat processed foods so it's all pretty much immaterial where we are personally concerned.

And the verdict won't be in for a long time, if ever. :hmmm:

Thanks for taking the time to keep on top of this one, O Ice Cream guru (still haven't tried it with invert sugar...)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

In other news, I've been looking into the use of trimoline in ice creams, and am finding it in sorbets, presumeably for its ability to prevent sugar crystalization, and also possibly for other effects on texture (glucose syrup can add body; trimoline probably does the same). Some recipes use sugar in three forms: sucrose as the main sweetener, trimoline for its effects on texture, and glucose to keep the sweetness under control while keeping the level of solids high enough.

Michael Laiskonis says he uses trimoline for up to 10% of the total sugar. It's possible that using more causes textural problems like gumminess.

Notes from the underbelly

Thanks Paul for all your help.

I think I am going to make a cheat sheet for sugars and their names until I can keep them straight in my head. It's still all so new for me. :wacko:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 1 year later...

an interesting ice cream recipe using invert sugar, regular sugar, and dextrose:

http://dviola.net/post/8787103048/basil-ice-cream

based on a recipe from Michael Laiskonis with some even odder ingredients...

I don't see any odd ingredients in that recipe. A custard ice cream with xanthan and gelatin as stabilizers.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Yep, that recipe's pretty standard. Though there's not really discussion of different forms of sugar, I did get a lot out of this Laiskonis post on formulating ice cream recipes (credit where credit's due: I finally found my way there after reading many of paulraphael's posts citing Laiskonis in our various ice cream topics).

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I know there is an extensive thread on invert sugar, but wading through it all I can't seem to find a simple answer. If it is out there, please forgive me.

The question is, can one simply substitute ganache and confection recipes that call for glucose or corn syrup with invert sugar?

I have made my own invert sugar with success using the following recipe: http://www.chefeddy.com/2009/11/invert-sugar/ (I should also note that my invert sugar has not separated like one I ordered on-line . . . )

Ricchiutti's recipes in Chocolate Obsession use invert sugar exclusively in the ganache recipes, unlike Greweling or Notter, which leads me to believe that I can use invert sugar instead of glucose or corn syrup in ganache formulations. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Also, with confections such as marshmallows, nougat and sponge candies which call for light corn syrup, may I simply use invert sugar?

One last question, is there any advantage over buying store-made invert sugar as opposed to making your own? Making my own was so simple and inexpensive, I wonder why I see so many comments about buying invert sugar . . .

Thank you all!

They both will sequester water and increase shelf life - but invert sugar is sweeter than sucrose and glucose less sweet than sucrose. That's usually the thing that makes you decide to use one vs the other.

The stuff you make yourself has no real disadvantages vs the purchased stuff - and the price is right!